A Ford Joins My Garage: Ford Figo Petrol (1st Gen) Ownership Review

Thread Starter #151

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Pondering over the possibility of Air Intake pipe swap from Ford Fiesta

Figo has side fender facing air intake pipe. Ford has provided the intake hole on the front bumper. In European markets air intake pipe sits in this hole.
Benefit: Direct cool air intake from the front of car, with pressure generated because of moving car, will make engine more happy. Most of the sport cars and performance cars have this sort of setup. If I use front air intake scoop, maybe, just maybe there is improvement in performance.
Obviously I will not jump into it straightway. I am still not very sure, so just asking.

Pictures will make it more clear
Air intake seen in the right lower corner of pic

IMG-20220626-WA0015.jpg

Factory setting of Figo air intake pipe
IMG-20220626-WA0010.jpg

oval inlet hole as seen from front
IMG-20220626-WA0011.jpg

as seen from inside the engine bay
IMG-20220626-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220626-WA0007.jpg

clearly visible from front
IMG-20220626-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220626-WA0004.jpg

clearly visible from front
IMG-20220626-WA0006.jpg

Intake starts Just below the bonnet ending in front
IMG-20220626-WA0000.jpg

Intake starts Just below the bonnet ending in front on the right side of ford logo
IMG-20220626-WA0001.jpg

IMG-20220626-WA0009.jpg

IMG-20220626-WA0015.jpg

Factory setting is like this
IMG-20220626-WA0003.jpg

looks like some of the older pipe can be used for the new fitting. Note that older pipe is very long. Front route is short.
IMG-20220626-WA0002.jpg

fitting will route through this inlet
IMG-20220626-WA0008.jpg

This bolt can help in holding the attachment
IMG-20220626-WA0012.jpg

IMG-20220626-WA0013.jpg

water drainage channels
IMG-20220626-WA0014.jpg

As I have said before, I will do my homework first. Obviously I will not jump into it straightway. I am still not very sure, so just asking. Is it possible ??

Last edited:
Thread Starter #152

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Pondering over the possibility of Air Intake pipe swap from Ford Fiesta As I have said before, I will do my homework first. Obviously I will not jump into it straightway. I am still not very sure, so just asking. Is it possible ??
I have still not ventured into that swap. Parts availablity is a big issue.

In the meantime I have managed to lock the Figo door with the spare key , with the original remote key fob still inside the car !!!
A great way to start this day. Feeling utterly stupid. And angry. With nobody else but myself. I shouldn't have hurried. Now that spare key is not opening the door on turning it anticlockwise.

Staring at the possibility of driver side window smashing. Never want to, but may have to .
Again feeling utterly stupid, and frustrated.

Last edited:

deville_56

Honoured Member

In the meantime I have managed to lock the Figo door with the spare key , with the original remote key fob still inside the car !!!
A great way to start this day. Feeling utterly stupid. And angry. With nobody else but myself. I shouldn't have hurried. Now that spare key is not opening the door on turning it anticlockwise.

Staring at the possibility of driver side window smashing. Never want to, but may have to .
Apply some force. Will feel like going to break, but will open. It turns full 90 degrees. Ford door lock behaves like that if not used once in a while. Some WD40 can help.

Thread Starter #154

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Apply some force. Will feel like going to break, but will open. It turns full 90 degrees. Ford door lock behaves like that if not used once in a while. Some WD40 can help.
Thanks to you,the door ultimately unlocked !! It was heart in mouth moment for me,as soon as I realised the key is locked inside.
It appears the manual unlock with key was never used/not used for a long time. So long I was using the remote lock key only. I genuinely thought Figo can be locked manually by turning key clockwise or with remote but unlocks with remote only, because the key, I could never turn anticlockwise, since day 1.
Appears there was plaque and rust issue. And yes WD40 did work as advised.
Now it turns full 90 degrees anticlockwise on unlocking.
And yes it felt like I was going to break the key.
Thanks @deville_56 once again.

Last edited:

Just curious, I didn't clearly understand the scenario. How did the remote key was left inside, and why it was locked with a spare key. Sorry if the question is stupid.

Thread Starter #156

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Just curious, I didn't clearly understand the scenario. How did the remote key was left inside, and why it was locked with a spare key. Sorry if the question is stupid.
No ,not stupid at all, the question you pose is genuine.
I will explain properly.
1. Initially got the car with only one key ie remote key. Lock+ unlock with remote only. On the 1st day of ownership noticed the keyhole. Tried inserting and turning both sides. Felt resistance both sides, but clockwise movement occurred and car got locked. So I thought remote keyfob can only lock and unlocking not possible. For that press the lock unlock buttons on key fob.
2. Have been driving the car like that only, thinking base model Figo has only manual locking possible, manual unlocking feature not given. Can be done only with unlock button on key fob. Felt weird.
3. Owner relative gave me the spare key this Sunday, telling me it was so long left behind with him. Owner also told me lock unlock is very much possible with keys too.
4. Got real excited. Reached home. Figo was parked at home with remote keys in the starter. Took out the spare key given to me an hour ago. Put it in the slot and started turning left and right. Car got locked instantly because clockwise movement was working. And the remote key fob which I was using all along, was locked inside. The spare key has no press button. How will I unlock.

Remote key has buttons. Manual locking done by using this slot
IMG-20220705-WA0004.jpg
IMG-20220705-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20220705-WA0002.jpg

Spare key has no buttons, just key only. It can manually lock and unlock NOW.
IMG-20220705-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20220705-WA0001.jpg

Last edited:
Story is explained so well![clap]
Similar thing happened with my friend's verna, which had smart key. We were vacuuming the car at my place, while he kept the keys in the rear seat. I don't know how, but the car got locked. Hyundai claims, if key is inside, it won't lock. But my thought is, there is a spot in the car definitely where the RF transmitter won't detect key's presence/ key battery also less than normal level it won't detect. due to longer range.

We travelled back to his house, to get duplicate keys. Since then, I always keep my keys inside my jeans pocket.

Another tip with smart keys : If you have 2 cars with smart keys, never keep them together/ never keep a smart key next to phone/ RFT devices.
It will drain the battery.
Story: Reversing Scala out of my uncle's parking lot to take out my swift! Got inside scala, with swift keys as well scala's jeys together inside my pocket.
Got inside Swift, it started flashing key battery low.
Next day even when I didn't have Scala key with me, Swift was popping Key battery low. Then understood what might have happened!

Thread Starter #158

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Another tip with smart keys : If you have 2 cars with smart keys, never keep them together it will drain the battery.
Well I never knew that. I always keep all of my keys together in a basket. Will have to take care now.

But I don't get the logic behind this. At Tata stock yard, the incharge was carrying atleast 50 keys of Nexons and Tiagos all of them together in a jhola. How about that??
And this carrying together of many keys in a jhola happens in almost all of the stock yards of most of the car brands, all over India. We don't receive them discharged when we get the cars.
You may be correct but please explain that too.

Last edited:
I am not sure about this. In my case, I entered with 2 keys inside another car also. What if the Smart key sensor drains the battery of the other key ?
(Swift's key drained by Scala's smart key recognizer)?

Thread Starter #160

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
It seems like in the last decade the whole world went out to buy diesel Figo only. Nobody has or had a petrol Figo !! Wherever I go its diesel tdci.
Even my colleagues, (many of those who owned one )have already sold their Figos 5 years back, they all had diesel tdci Figo.
Its frustrating sometimes, really. I wanted to talk to someone about the car, someone who had been/ or still is, owner of a petrol Figo. Seems its a rare breed. Indeed.
TBH, had it been a diesel engine I wouldn't have been that happier, as I am with this petrol engine one. So less mileage in so many years. Think about it on a diesel engine.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #161

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
There is a plug on the gearbox in the front of the car. Its leaking oil. As of now I don't know it's function. It looks like the seal on this sensor is leaking. FNG mechanic said it's a coolant temperature sensor. Another one said it's engine oil temperature sensor. I don't trust them.
I have checked the sensor. That oil doesn't look like coolant or engine oil. More like gear oil.
At present the oil leak or seepage is very minimal,like an ml a month. But it's constantly leaking. Never stopped. And it's very obvious on looking and touching which gives oil stains.
So I plan to open it up and have a look around.
May be applying some sealant will stop it.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #162

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
There is a plug on the gearbox in the front of the car. Its leaking oil. As of now I don't know it's function. It looks like the seal on this sensor is leaking. FNG mechanic said it's a coolant temperature sensor. Another one said it's engine oil temperature sensor. I don't trust them.

This is the sensor I was talking about. I think it will be easy to open the bolt, which looks like size 22. It seems to be a straightforward job, open it ,apply some sealant, and put it back. Simple !!
I intend to complete it today only.
IMG-20220818-WA0030.jpg
IMG-20220818-WA0028.jpg
IMG-20220818-WA0029.jpg

In this pic, oil seepage can be seen all around the sensor, and on the gearbox.

IMG-20220818-WA0014.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #163

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
This is the sensor .... I think it will be easy to open the bolt, which looks like size 22. It seems to be a straightforward job, open it ,apply some sealant, and put it back. Simple !!
I intend to complete it today only
I think I spoke too soon. This DIY is not as simple as it looked 2 hours ago. And now I do realise the utter stupidity in the statement of my last post !!
Its 12 o'clock in the night and my DIY is ruined already. Things have gone south. AND I never expected that !!

It is disheartening to hear, that your patient is seriously sick, and the doctor is stuck in dilemma!

Just thinking, what sensor that is? Can you kindly take a picture of the oil in your fingers? What does it smell like? ( There's a difference between the smell of Coolant/Transmission/Engine oil in terms of smell)

Also why people chose Diesel Figo those days were, that it was cheaper than Swift Petrol Full option/ Swift Diesel VDi. It had more safety features as well as built quality than Swift too. The only issues were the lack of rear power windows, due to the design and the rear legroom isn't great like an i20. Boot volume was on par with Swift but not best in class. The 1.4Duratorq motor is very much refined, tuned optimum for power and fuel economy. I will rate in this order always
1.3DDIS(Best in class) > 1.4 Duratorq > 1.4CRDi (i20)

Thread Starter #165

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
This is the sensor I was talking about. I think it will be easy to open the bolt, which looks like size 22. It seems to be a straightforward job, open it ,apply some sealant, and put it back. Simple !!
I intend to complete it today only.
I think I spoke too soon. This DIY is not as simple as it looked 2 hours ago. And now I do realise the utter stupidity in the statement of my last post !!
Its 12 o'clock in the night and my DIY is ruined already. Things have gone south. AND I never expected that !!
OK, so I was there under the car, working late in night, keen on finishing the DIY. I was also curious to look and find what exactly was causing the oil leak and what sort of oil was coming out of the sensor. That bolt was very tight. So tight that I was unable to turn it around even one quarter, using the best of my tools. As I put socket in place of open end wrench, just to increase the torque, I saw some progress. The bolt finally started to turn !! Suddenly I realised that now it has become too loose. That bolt was made of aluminium, and not Iron and I realised that the soft metal might give away. By that time it was already too late. That sensor broke into two !!
I was totally shocked. I aimed for the betterment of car, making all the effort, and I ended up ruining the car. Now I cant move the car, as on starting it ,the engine spews oil from the broken sensor. The car will stand at the same place blocking all of my other rides, as they too cannot come out of the gallery until I move my Figo first.
I am feeling sad and stupid at the same time. Maybe it would have been so much better if I didn't touch that leaking sensor at all. Only if I had Dr Strange's time stone with me now !!
So yes I am in a royal mess right now with no solution in sight. And I have nobody to blame but myself.

Last edited:

Top Bottom