7 Year Old Maruti SX4: Immobile Since April 2013!!

Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

This Maruti SX4 belongs to my sister who returned from LA last night and in the morning today we went to her home to check out the condition of the stuff. The 1st thing that was in mind was the car since for last 1.5 Year this car has been standing idle since April 2013. The Tyre, rims and many other things were all covered in dust. Looked more like a haunted car!!

When I reached there the car was looking like a ghost covered in a saree[lol](visualize it!) so my driver took the task of removing the dust loaded cover since I am too allergic to dust (coughing etc gets aggravated). After removing the cover I saw this car peacefully asleep. We had removed the battery before parking the car last year and when we placed it back today it was discharged so had no alternative except to push it.

Oh god! exclaimed I with precisely 2 major sneezes in one go due to dust on the car as you won't expect that on a beautiful winter Sunday morning after having a good breakfast you'll need to push up a dead machine[sad]! So my driver finally said "Bhaiya dekhne se kuch nahi hoga...chalo dhakka lagao gaadi ko"(Bro lets do it now..no point just seeing it come and push the car forward)!

Hesitantly, moving ahead I tried to push it but gave up[lol] after all it was a dead car and no ways I would dirty my clothes and that too on a Sunday. So requested the security staff there to help us in doing so and help us take the car out of the basement. Man!! this was the toughest thing to do since the basement had a curved elevation. It was like pushing a reluctant elephant from behind with the fear of it rolling back! (you all know what happens when a elephant rolls back!)

Then with courage the six of us pushed it up with all sorts of slogan shouting(zor laga ke haiya, 1-2-3-gooooo!!!) but I was more concerned of the beehive that was on the basement exit! I thought "Why has been god so kind on me today?" and wished that these bees don't come to me to say hi! I don't want to stung by a yellow honey bee for sure and that too on a Sunday!

So after making our way out with this dead car, we left it to sun-bath in the compound and in the meanwhile arranged for a crane through my uncle as to take the car to the ASC. The crane arrived and loaded the vehicle. Total expense for it was INR 1400/-.

Once the car reached to my uncle's dealership, all the people rushed to check it as per orders of my uncle and received the estimate of INR 7.5K + taxes. The following things have been told to be checked and replaced:

1) Battery charge

2) Engine Oil

3) Oil Filter

4) Brake Oil

5) Coolant

6) Gear Oil

7) Spark Plug change

8) Air Filter

9) Fuel Filter

10) Brake Caliper Check

11) Engine Flush

12) Paid Service checks

13) Something written in poor handwriting that costs INR 350.

Enough said, Let me show you the sleeping beauty!

Photo2721.jpg

Photo2722.jpg

Photo2724.jpg

Photo2725.jpg

Photo2726.jpg

Photo2727.jpg

Photo2730.jpg

Photo2731.jpg

Photo2732.jpg

Photo2733.jpg

Photo2734.jpg

Photo2735.jpg

Photo2736.jpg

Photo2737.jpg

Photo2738.jpg

So, the car is in the workshop and I'll be seeing it tomorrow and supervising the repairs in my presence. In the evening got a call from the ASC that front brake shoes have worn out and the same needs to be replaced. I told them to let my uncle check the same tomorrow and then we will go for changing it.

This car from now on shall be in my custody. It was a battle of practicality over personal preference! Hence, the petrol head in me woke up and I suggested that this car needs proper care so should be given to me.

So friends, anything that you all may like to add apart from above list then mention it below!

Next report on the car tomorrow!

Regards

Akash

Is it a Petrol or diesel variant?
Really seems like a Kumbakarn woken up from more than 1 year of deep slumber.
But still glad to see that apart from the things mentioned by you, everything else including interiors and exteriors are in good condition. Anyway check for Rust everywhere. Wasn't the car body cover put on?

Thread Starter #3

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Is it a Petrol or diesel variant?
Really seems like a Kumbakarn woken up from more than 1 year of deep slumber.
But still glad to see that apart from the things mentioned by you, everything else including interiors and exteriors are in good condition. Anyway check for Rust everywhere. Wasn't the car body cover put on?
Ya true you are buddy! Its a VXi variant which had been covered for last 1.5 years. I'll make sure of the rust part. It could be possible that under-body might be having some spots.

Regards

Akash

the other things are ac belt, fan belt, dynamo belt. you need to check them for rust wear. this can be found if the belt squeezes. the belts may or may not squeeze.it's better to get them changed.
check for air flow through ac vents/also check the effectiveness of AC.there is something called AC gas clogging. when it happens, when the switch is switched on, there will be no air and suddenly the gas in the compressor bursts. AC gas refilling is mandatory and also check for leakages.

* clean the injectors.
* check for cut wires by rats.

I guess this should be enough

Thread Starter #5

Akash1886

Honoured Member
the other things are ac belt, fan belt, dynamo belt. it's better to get them changed.
AC gas refilling is mandatory and also check for leakages.

* check for cut wires by rats.
Noted Pravin! Does the car loose AC Gas when kept stationary? I am very sure that rats may have tried to have their way with this sleeping beauty. Keeping fingers crossed.

Regards

Akash

this ac gas is a common problem. the reside gas at the bottom of the compressor has no way to escape( a ac gas like is highly impossible unless a leak is there) due to alternating outside temperature the may gas looses it's density. the gas may get cloged. when the compressor is operated suddenly, there will be no air flow/cooling followed by a sudden burst of gas. the burst can be high enough even to damage compressor.

safe way is to take a ac mechanic and remove the gas, fill a new one and also get the AC vent passage checked to ensure the correct flow.

Thread Starter #7

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Team, How are you all!

Well, the sleeping beauty is back to home and kicking!

As suggested by fellow member @Pravin and @DJ Bro, looked in detail under the car to find out if its rusting. Happily it wasn't. Got the fan belt and ac belt changed too as suggested. So everything finally got completed at 4pm in afternoon today and then took the car back home. First time in my life I have driven a SX4[:)]. Rear seat comfort is really good too even with 3 adults sitting. Also, rear head-room is excellent.

The final monetary damage done is INR 11,548 +230(Credit Card Charge)= 11,778/-. But I guess a car that is 7 year old with 23,200 KM on the ODO, and standing Idle for 1.5 year, this amount is nominal.

Some pics of work in progress!

photo2738.jpg

photo2739.jpg

photo2740.jpg

photo2746.jpg

photo2747.jpg

photo2749.jpg

photo2750.jpg

photo2751.jpg

photo2748.jpg

Finally after the entire day's hard work and labor the SX4 happily says "I am Alive!!":biggrin:[cheers].

photo2743.jpg

photo2744.jpg

photo2745.jpg

photo2752.jpg

photo2753.jpg

Photo2755.jpg

photo2754.jpg

Surprisingly in 2007, the Vxi variant did not have any airbags. This one has only ABS. Also, a very common query, does anyone know how much average does SX4 give with AC on city and highways?

Shall be asking you all and updating on this car as often as possible!

Regards

Akash

VXi does not have airbags and ABS, be it 2007, 2009 VVT or 2013. They come only in ZXi variants, along with other differences of tyre size, auto climate, steering mounted control etc.

Glad to see your beast up to roar over the roads again. 23k driven is like a new one. I would also add under chassis coating as that would take care of rusting and its also a kind of anti-rat treatment to protect it in future.

Beige is a beautiful color on SX4, so you must go for some 3M body treatment. Don't get any polish job done from Maruti.

It's a monster on road, you'll love it taking around. Drive safe and congratulations again. :)

Cheers~!

Thread Starter #9

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Glad to see your beast up to roar over the roads again. 23k driven is like a new one. I would also add under chassis coating as that would take care of rusting and its also a kind of anti-rat treatment to protect it in future.

Beige is a beautiful color on SX4, so you must go for some 3M body treatment. Don't get any polish job done from Maruti.

It's a monster on road, you'll love it taking around. Drive safe and congratulations again. :)
Thanks dear, Actually this car has been very less used as my sister and her husband have been staying abroad for various projects. This time around I made it a point to have it with me for next 1.5 year till they come back to India. I never get any treatment for paint done by Maruti even though it may be free of cost.

I really like the car's headroom and seating in the rear. Parking it also is very easy.

At present the steering is slightly tight that I need to get checked.

Regards

Akash

At present the steering is slightly tight that I need to get checked.
Do get it checked. But also keep a note that Maruti did not do a very good job with it's power steering. It probably has the same power steering engine as that of DZire while being much heavier and powerful. I would not compare it with Verna, Rapid, Vento etc.

What you can rest assured is of the build quality which is way ahead of other Maruti line ups. Do share more on your progress.

Cheers~!

Good to see the men back on roads after this span of year and half.You have got mostly all of the necessary things that was needed tobe done on this car.
Give a nice polishing from 3M when your time and wallet permits and this car would be shining.
Keep updating about the ride specially the steering.

Thread Starter #14

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Do get it checked. But also keep a note that Maruti did not do a very good job with it's power steering.
What you can rest assured is of the build quality which is way ahead of other Maruti line ups. Do share more on your progress.
Of-course dear and thanks for sharing your thought on steering issue. I'll stand on my uncle's head and get it done. He always makes me stand and supervise the repair so everything will be done before my eyes.

Good to see the men back on roads after this span of year and half.You have got mostly all of the necessary things that was needed tobe done on this car.
Give a nice polishing from 3M when your time and wallet permits and this car would be shining.
Keep updating about the ride specially the steering.
Thanks Vijay, Ya men are back and rocking!:biggrin:. The nearest 3M outlet is in Delhi but its never about wallet to be honest, its more about the workmanship of that outlet which I find below-average even though the partners in that outlet are my friends. I'll polish it soon and update on steering.

Are there any sort of bushes in it that need replacement/ repair?

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom