5000 Kms Road Trip: Daman - Haveri, Chitradurga, Mysore, Kerala

Thread Starter #152
I like this place. There is something mystic about this place. Nice capture.
Thanks Highway Ranger.

Felt the same when I was there. Something which cannot be expressed in words.

Wow, great trip and awesome pics. I need to take some tips on clicking pics around. overall, nice writeup.
Thank you The Monk.

Pictures came out good just by chance and because of the scenic natural surroundings.

@autosafari

amazingly beautiful pictures , superb writeup , and one can understand the passion you have for driving .
and manza never looked so cool , hot and beautiful ever . you and highway ranger are guys who have made the manza a hot car on this forum by the way you shoot her [clap]

but seriously beautiful travel report of a mind blowing jouney .

@autosafari,

I am planning on a trip to Alleppy in the middle of Jan. I have a couple of queries.

I have 2 routes in mind. One is the straight forward route via Coimbatore bypass/Palakkad. The second one is through Dindigal/Theni/Kumily/Kottayam...

Do you have any idea about the second route?

What are the pain points of the first route?

The climate should be fine, I guess. I plan to visit Cochin. Any other interesting places nearby that I should not miss? I have to plan my duration according to that.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. [:)]

Thread Starter #160
@autosafari
amazingly beautiful pictures , superb writeup , and one can understand the passion you have for driving.
and manza never looked so cool , hot and beautiful ever ..
Thank you Raja.

@autosafari,

I am planning on a trip to Alleppy in the middle of Jan. I have a couple of queries.

I have 2 routes in mind. One is the straight forward route via Coimbatore bypass/Palakkad. The second one is through Dindigal/Theni/Kumily/Kottayam...

Do you have any idea about the second route?

What are the pain points of the first route?

The climate should be fine, I guess. I plan to visit Cochin. Any other interesting places nearby that I should not miss? I have to plan my duration according to that.

Your inputs will be greatly appreciated. [:)]
Highway Ranger,

Climate should be fine in Jan - Mild cool.

Out of the two routes, I would suggest the second route. (not sure about the road condition of Theni-Kumali-Kottayam stretch)

Pain/difficulties in first route option:

No issues till Coimbatore (assuming that the 4 lane construction at Chengapalli - Avinashi - Coimbatore section is over) and then Byepass Coimbatore City (L&T Byepass) to reach Palakkad Highway.

Depending on our luck, there could be traffic jam (total halt) for hours at walayar check post. Some days it could extent to several hours.

Once that is over, its rash driving by private buses in Palakkad - Trissur section (two lane without divider). After vadakkanchery, its an encounter with the worst road in the state (may be amoung the worst in India) coupled with highspeed heavy traffic and rash driving of private buses.

After Trissur byepass, its 4 lane again but will feel more like you are driving inside a city than driving through a National Highway.

Depending on timing, there could be huge traffic jam (block in Cochin slang) near Angamali and Aluva.

Places to visit:

Since you lived in Cochin some time ago, you must have already visited the regular places in and around - Fort Kochi (Chinese fishing nets, Beach, St Francis Church, Vasco House, Santa Cruze Basilica), Mattancherry (Jewish synagogue, Dutch Palace), Bolghatty Island, Palace, Tripunithara Hill Palace etc.

There is a small bird sanctuary inside the City (near High Court).

I know that you like Tea plantations. So Munnar should be must visit location. Its 140 km from Kochi.
teaplantation.jpg

Also in Munnar, there is Anamudi - The highest peak in South India.

World famous Periyar wild life santuary in Thekkady - 190 km from Kochi - where several wild animals can be seen in their natural habitat.

Kothamangalam - a scenic location and near by there is Thattekkad bird santuary - 60 km from Kochi.

Malayattoor Hills and St Thomas Church - 52 km from Kochi.
Kalady is nearby.

Athirapally - Vazhachal waterfalls - 75 km from Kochi

Near Alappuzha (Alleppey) include Kumarakam (scenic back waters and bird santuary would be a treat for your Camera) and Pathiramannal island.

In Alappuzha, its a good idea to take the village roads and drive through the country side.

Kottayam Allepey route should give you some of the best culinary experience in Meat and Fish dishes.

Do enjoy a House boat stay in either Kochi or even better in Alappuzha.

Thanks autosafari.

I too heard about the traffic jams at the check post from a couple of colleagues who travel by that route.

We have already visited Munnar, so our plan is just Alleppy and Cochin. If I remember right, the Chinese fishing nets can be found at the eastern tip of fort Cochin. I wonder if they are still there... I will try and include Kumarakam and Pathiramannal island. House boat is already included. The places you have mentioned in Cochin, yes.

We are planning a separate trip to Munnar later after the monsoon. We intend to cover Thekkady then. Last time the roads were bad from Munnar to Thekkady. So we avoided going there.

Athirapally and Vazhachal falls, we have already covered in our Valparai trip.

Thanks again for the info.

Thread Starter #162
Continuing the criss cross through this beautiful valley and plains - Palakkad gap in Western Ghats:
(Palakkad district in Kerala)

DSC01790a.jpg

This Mahindra is no Cheetah and those cranes are not afraid.
DSC01795a.jpg

DSC01814a.jpg

DSC01815a.jpg

DSC01792a.jpg

DSC01789a.jpg

DSC01791a.jpg

@autosafari- I have a quick question. In every snap your ride looks very clean and neat. I was wondering how. Even after such a long drive, there is not even a sign of any dust. Any magic? [;)]

Thread Starter #164
@autosafari- I have a quick question. In every snap your ride looks very clean and neat. I was wondering how. Even after such a long drive, there is not even a sign of any dust. Any magic? [;)]
Did a thorough polish (DIY) with Formula 1 carnauba wax before the trip. It was a 4 hour long process by me alone.

Also applied Formula 1 dashboard protection (just applied the liquid with a soft cotton cloth over the dashboard plastics) since the trip was on a peak summer.

Formula 1 wash and wax car shampoo was handy (once in a while) when it gets too much dirty during the trip. Otherwise its just dusting with a soft cotton cloth and wiping with a microfibre cloth (mf cloth dipped in water and squeezed completely so that its almost dry).

Top Bottom