3 Lakh Died in Accidents Involving Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
National Road Safety Council of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways member Dr. Kamal Soi have accused automakers of dumping their old cars in India and compromising on vehicular safety.

At a road safety conference in New Delhi, Dr. Soi said that unless car makers ensured in-built safety features, crashes are going to be fatal. He also pointed out the BMW 3 Series and Maruti 800 as examples of unsafe cars in India.

source: 3 lakh died in accidents involving Maruti 800 - Dr Kamal Soi

Re: 3 lakh died in accidents involving M800

That was very rude of him to compare a BMW 3 series and M800.
BMW 3 series is safe in a 60 Kmph frontal crash,while M800 is not. He should have talked about the current models Maruti produces , like Ciaz and Baleno. Who is stopping him from that? So, there are some unseen hands behind this talk also?

bhvm

Honoured Member

Its all Politics as you pointed earlier, general.

Same thing with 2000cc diesel bans & SUV bans.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Maruti 800 should never be compared to a BMW even in wildest of the dreams by anyone. Level of safety and equipment in both are starkly different. BMW built quality and that of MSIL M800 are poles apart. However, I am surprised with the quoted statement;

Commenting on the BMW 3 Series, the council member revealed that a crash test has been done and the 3 Series received an average rating for side impact protection. He went on to say that road accidents in India involving the luxury car model were analyzed and in 12 cases, the Beemer split into two under impact.
Now based on above statement, I would like to know, which MY BMW 3 Series is the gentleman referring to and what are the documented proofs for it? To assess an impact and the result of impact on any car, various parameters like, driving manners, intensity, direction of impact, the type of other vehicle involved et al should be taken into account.

On a side note, It would be really worthy of our learned authorities to publish a similar data for the Maruti OMNI as well because that also is nothing less than a death trap for owners and passengers.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
First of all its true that most of the cars available in India are not safe. But its not safe because Govt has no regulations regarding safety features required for a car. Why stop at M800? We all even saw scorpio failing in NCAP.
The main culprit here is the Govt. Automobile manufactures like other businessmen want to earn maximum profit. Europe and America have implemented strict safety norms. Why did India did not implement any such norms. The minimum safety feature a car must have is front and rear seat belts. However the Govt has relaxed that policy. I am highlighting the fault of the Govt only because these statement was made by a safety council member of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
Its sad but as long as Govt doesn't bring strict norms, the companies will continue to manufacture such cars

I don't understand why a National Road Safety Council member accuses manufacturers of showing apathy. Government is the one who certified the cars to be allowed to be sold here. If Government wants car manufacturers to provide safe cars, they should concentrate of strengthening the norms here. Bharat CAP is a step in the right direction. Hopefully things improve in the coming days with improved awareness (due to the star rating) .

Maruti 800 should never be compared to a BMW even in wildest of the dreams by anyone. Level of safety and equipment in both are starkly different. BMW built quality and that of MSIL M800 are poles apart. However, I am surprised with the quoted statement;

Now based on above statement, I would like to know, which MY BMW 3 Series is the gentleman referring to and what are the documented proofs for it? To assess an impact and the result of impact on any car, various parameters like, driving manners, intensity, direction of impact, the type of other vehicle involved et al should be taken into account.

Regards

Akash
One such case is: The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Ludhiana Stories one of my my relative died in that accident. Surprisingly driver came out without even a single scratch.

I don't understand why a National Road Safety Council member accuses manufacturers of showing apathy. Government is the one who certified the cars to be allowed to be sold here. If Government wants car manufacturers to provide safe cars, they should concentrate of strengthening the norms here. Bharat CAP is a step in the right direction. Hopefully things improve in the coming days with improved awareness (due to the star rating) .
If this Bharath CAP comes out, Maruti and Hyundai will have to run for cover. They will be the first one to fail all tests.
Instead of increasing the safety in cars, Maruti had been seen playing with body cage and its structural integrity of cars.At 60 Kmph frontal collision, Maruti is still zero. The only one that survived this, from their stable was pre 2012 Swift and Ritz, which had a face lift and now not safe any more.
Hyundai, time gives best cars to export to Europe and the same cars sold in India fails the test.[frustration]. Now, the business is bigger, to make profit, company is taking all initiatives, but to protect the consumer, government may require to take a strong stand.

The main culprit here is the Govt.
as long as Govt doesn't bring strict norms, the companies will continue to manufacture such cars
Make sure if it is the Govt / Manufacturer or the Buyer / Market being the main culprit.
Knowing the fact many cars aren't safe, why buy them? When no one buys, do you think any manufacturer will produce them? When no one produce unsafe cars, what Govt approves will all be safe cars. When the buyer himself doesn't care about his own safety, why do you expect Govt to do the same?

Agreed @Mr. Boss. We live in an almost entirely financially-driven society. Even if the engineers themselves wanted to make their vehicles safer, they would be stopped by accountants because there's no money in doing that unless the consumers push for it.

Government regulations are a considerable step, but with the influence of oligarchs like MSIL and HMIL they'll always throw a wrench in it unless they benefit somehow. Just like the fiasco with Bharat CAP crash test speeds.

Knowing the fact many cars aren't safe, why buy them? When no one buys, do you think any manufacturer will produce them?
Members of this forum and other important auto forums know well about the safety standards of a vehicle. But the fact remains that of the lakhs of people who buy new car every month, only few really know about this. And even if they do, dealers try to misrepresent the facts. I know people who were told by the car dealers that the optional safety pack given in Maruti was not actually required. An uninformed buyer will believe the sales representative and buy a car without any safety features.
In such a market it's highly impractical to think that people will stop buying cars.
Alto and Kwid, are both first time buyer cars and both fail at safety side. Datsun Go failed miserably at the test and even then there were people to buy that. Same goes to Scorpio. Unless the crash test is made mandatory in India, people will be mislead to a far extent.

Top Bottom