VW India has launched the latest version of its Passat sedan in India. The company unveiled the car in India at an event here in Mumbai. The new Passat will help VW garner some sales in the D-segment where the old Passat wasn’t quite managing to move off the shelf.
The new Passat is powered by a new 2.0-liter TDI BlueMotion diesel engine with power and torque rated at 170bhp and 350Nm. The BlueMotion technology has fuel efficiency as its USP and employs tactics such as tyres with lower tolling resistance, low friction mechanicals, lower idling speeds and atart-stop technology to attain better fuel efficiency. The car is available in three variants – tredline, Comfortline, and Highline (Automatic Transmission). The bookings for the car are open now, and the deliveries will begin in April. The price for the three variants is listed as under
Although VW has launched only the 2.0 TDI diesel engine as of now, the company may intorduce a 1.8-liter TSI petrol engine (samre as the Skoda Superb) at a later point. As you would assume, the automatic transmission is the fabled VW DSG and should offer its now legendary wuick shifts. The car has witnessed quite a comprehensive makeover from the outside, but the interiors look very similar to the previous version. There is more chrome in the cabin now, and the quality of the materials appears to be better.
Volkswagen unveils the all-new Passat with BlueMotion Technologies in India
• Price starts at 20.80 lakh ex showroom New Delhi
• Bookings commence 30th March, 2011
Mumbai, March 29, 2011: Volkswagen, Europe’s leading car manufacturer unveiled the all-new Passat with the highly innovative BlueMotion Technologies for India today.
The all-new Passat will be available to customers in the diesel variant in both automatic and manual transmissions, starting at 20.80 lakh ex showroom Delhi. Sales of the all new Passat will start with the Highline and Comfortline which will later be followed by the Trendline.
Speaking about this new launch, Mr. Neeraj Garg, Member of Board and Director, Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Volkswagen Group Sales India Pvt. Ltd. said, “We started our journey in India with the introduction of the Passat in 2007, and three successful years later it gives us great pleasure to bring the latest generation to the market.
The all-new Passat will be exclusively available with BlueMotion Technologies in India and the distinctive innovations will work together to achieve good fuel efficiency and reduced emissions without depriving customers from the fun of driving.
It is a design into the future with upgraded comfort, convenience, quality and safety, and more importantly cleaner and extremely fuel efficient.”
Mr. Lutz Kothe, Head of Marketing and PR Volkswagen Group Sales Pvt. Ltd. added by saying, “The Volkswagen Brand’s commitment to sustainability is translated through the innovations of the BlueMotion Technologies. These efficient technologies have been implemented in a range of Volkswagen cars and are among the cleanest and most fuel efficient in the world. The introduction of the all-new Passat further emphasizes Volkswagen Brand’s commitment to India.”
BlueMotion Technologies is a range of innovations and refinements that represent the cleanest, most energy efficient cars in the Volkswagen range. These are technologies that work together to achieve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions without taking the fun out of driving.
The all-new Passat comes to India with a range of BlueMotion Technologies:
• TDI Engine: A 2.0L CR TDI engine with an output of 170PS and torque of 350 NM @ 1750-2500 rpm offers abundant torque, outstanding power output while assuring low fuel consumption
• Auto Start-Stop System: The efficient Start-Stop technology cuts emissions and saves fuel by automatically switching off the engine when waiting in traffic, and starts also automatically when the driver’s feat touches the gas pedal
• Brake Energy Recuperation: Recovers and recycles energy normally lost during braking, thereby saving fuel and cutting emissions
• DSG Dual Clutch Gearbox: Combines the comfort and convenience of an automatic transmission with the efficiency and performance of a manual gearbox. Rapid and precise gear changes are the key advantages of this gearbox over automatic ones, besides ensuring higher fuel efficiency and reduction of carbon emissions. For those who still wish to change gears manually the tiptronic shift function makes it possible too.
• Gear Shift Indicator: An intelligent gear shift prompt that is available in the manual transmission that leads to significant reduction in fuel consumption
Best in Class Technologies:
• The Park Assist takes over during the parking process and maneuvers the car into any suitable parallel or perpendicular bay on its own.
• The new Attention Assist detects driver fatigue and warns him/her with an acoustic signal and a visual message on the instrument cluster recommending a break from driving
• The Acoustic Sound Lamination in the front and rear windshields substantially dampens the traffic noise from outside for a calm and pleasant cabin
• Climate Seats with active ventilation and massage function for the driver and front passenger to enhance driving comfort
Exterior: The new front-end design gives the all new Passat an even more dominant, high-class look which is reinforced by the bi-xenon headlamps, along with rounded in-set headlamps and LED daytime running lights. Straight lines and cleanly sculpted surface is enhanced by a strong prominent C Pillar.
Interior: The all-new Passat is an epitome of luxury and comfort with the finest quality material, perfectly colour-coordinated panels and distinctively designed instrumentation that is effortless to read. Now available with electronic parking break, keyless entry and start options, the all new Passat emits a pure sense of luxury.