2010 BMW 5 Series - Leaked Official Images

350Z

Core Team
BMW's took the wraps of the new 5-series and all speculation can now end. Quite clearly the 5-series has lost its eagle eyes in favour of the look seen on the BMW 5-series GT. The kidney grille is pretty upright giving the 5 a pig snoutish look, that BMW engineers feel is sportier than the raked-look of the previous 5. The slimmer sweeping headlamps and the creased bonnet, from a distance, seem a lot like the facelifted 3-series too, as do the tail lamps.

Overall, the 5-series feels more sober and is in keeping with the overall character of the car that also promises better ride comfort and space for the back seat passenger.

The new 5-series is based on the same platform as the new 7-series only it is 100 mm shorter in terms of the stretch between the wheels, but is 80 mm more as compared to the previous 5-series. The use of the independent double-wishbone setup from the 7 will be mirrored on the 5 to improve ride without any trade-off in the joy from the captains chair. However, BMW has finally made the shift from electro-hydraulic steering systems in favour of a full electric setup with speed dependent assist.

BMW has bunched all parameters afecting the drive experience under the DDC (Driver Dynamic Control), it has settings for normal, comfort, sport and sport+. Change in the settings will adjust the suspension settings, the gear change point and nature, throttle response and even how much the ESP will cut in.

On the engine front BMW will unload a bonnet full off fire power. The petrol options include two naturally aspirated models – the 523i with 201bhp and the 528i with 254bhp. The single turbo 535i pumps out 302bhp while the top of the line V8 550i is good for 401bhp.

The diesel range includes 520d, 525d and 530d, all of which have done duty in Indian BMW's before. However, BMW's new 8-speed gearbox is also available now and all cars will come with stop-start as standard, all in a bid to reduce fuel consumption.

The new BMW 5-series will go on sale in Europe after the Geneva Motor Show in March 2010

Source: Autocar India

Drive Safe,
350Z

Attachments

Personally I am not much impressed with looks of new 5-series. Previous eagle-eyes looked much better. New one looks like bit scaled up 3-series. These lines of 3-series looks best on compact proportions of 3-series only. I now prefer compact and sporty 3-series over new 5-series. How do i wish 3-series was available in India as 330d (like the way it is available in Europe) [drive]. Now that A4 is available in 3.0 TDi, why not 3-series?

Arun

Suspended
Looks good but not upto BMW standards.

Is it only me or the new 5 series actually looks like a pig from the front? [ugly]

The lines are pretty neat. Looks odd on a body that big. The same lines on a smaller car look killer!

Check this link for pic of all gen of 5-series side by side. And 1st time i can see that older gen car (present 5-series) looks better than new gen car. Same cannot be said about interiors though as we are yet to see the interiors and other value additions.

Attachments

Thanks for sharing that pic, IMO 5-Series has lost its charm, It now looks like a cross breed between 3 series and 7 series.

350Z

Core Team
That is a nice picture torque.addict.
BMW 5 Series is one of my dream car but this applies for the existing model only.
New Generation design is no more attractive. I call the current 5 Series owners to be lucky.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom