1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration

Thread Starter #32
Thanks for the reply mate,
1- I read about 6v - 12v conversion how to find out what is currently in my bike?
2- the pick up little slow(not like an rx would be) what might be the problem? Need not b exact details, is there anything i can check myself?
3- there is rust inside tank, i have called yamaha dealer to get rr-10, but they have said that one acid gets evaporated before it comes to them without that it's useless so they won't take orders.
4- there is rust found in the number plates holders and also little bit under the seat. Would it require full body painting?
1 - Check any of the bulb / horn spec. Voltage must be specified on them
2 - n number of reasons it could be, Worn out clutch, poor carb tuning, engine seizure, etc.
3 - I had similar issue and fortunately got a brand new tank
4 - Zone treatment is possible, but a complete paining is recommended (depends on the magnitude of corrosion level)

Hello Mr.Boss,

I own RX 100 - 1994 Model. I would to do complete restoration. I live in Aminjikarai, Chennai. I yet to get the PM access. So can you let me know the Good Mechanic details ( Contact # / Address ) in and around Aminjikarai.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thread Starter #34
can you let me know the Good Mechanic details ( Contact # / Address ) in and around Aminjikarai.
Hi,
Sorry I live in out skirts of Chennai and I don't have any knowledge of mechanic around your place.
Anyways, congrats on having the dream machine and all the very best for the restoration. Ping me whenever you are in need of help.

Hello Boss, Nice to see so many RX restorations :) Congrats first of all !

I have RX100 (1989) and RX135 (2000), and planning to start with the restoration of RX135 first. Your help is much appreciated.

Thread Starter #37
Hello Boss, Nice to see so many RX restorations :) Congrats first of all !

I have RX100 (1989) and RX135 (2000), and planning to start with the restoration of RX135 first. Your help is much appreciated.
Thanks buddy.
All the best for the restoration, ping me for any help required.

Sure Sir. I yet to get the PM access, and will ping you as i get it.

To start with, my RX135 bore is re-sleeved, and running 0.25 OS - Whats your call on this ? Is the performance of the resleeved bore is not good or make noise ?

Can we use the same bore or can plan to get a used one with original sleeve ? Kindly share your thoughts on the same.

Experts - please step in and show some lights on this !

Thread Starter #39
To start with, my RX135 bore is re-sleeved, and running 0.25 OS - Whats your call on this ? Is the performance of the resleeved bore is not good or make noise ?
Does it show any abnormal behaviour now? If not, go for the next upsize piston. Proper resleeve job can match the performance of unsleeved bore.
Can we use the same bore or can plan to get a used one with original sleeve ? Kindly share your thoughts on the same.
Don't fix something that ain't broken.

Sure Sir. I yet to get the PM access, and will ping you as i get it.

To start with, my RX135 bore is re-sleeved, and running 0.25 OS - Whats your call on this ? Is the performance of the re-sleeved bore is not good or make noise ?

Experts - please step in and show some lights on this !
90% of mechanics will not do the re-sleeve better. I am having 2 RX100's and i went to many Mechanics around the Coimbatore Siddhapudhur area. Yes, i too saw some 2 to 3 bikes which was re-sleeved and running in a good condition. But they are not rough riders.

If possible try to get any bore, else if you find your Mechanic is capable to do this Resleeve better, then go ahead.

Tuning is another part where i felt exhausted and finally i got it done from a retired mechanic. Actually he called me on hearing the miss beat of my bike and told me to come to his home. I went and he took around 40 minutes and Once done, it was totally different. Thing is, If you ride RX in 60 to 70 kph and take the hand from acceleration, till the bike reaches 10 kph it should release the next beat. From 70 kph to 10 kph, it only sing the humming, not even a single beat will come until it reaches 5 to 10 kph.

So there are many things which need to be seen while reworking the RX100, since its one of the GEM of an engine where you hear a wonderful beat (Racing sound).

Hope Mr.BOSS can support you with guidance.

Last edited:
Does it show any abnormal behaviour now? If not, go for the next upsize piston. Proper resleeve job can match the performance of unsleeved bore.

Don't fix something that ain't broken.
Yeah, I dont see much impact on the performance, but little noise on low speed. I'm thinking its clutch noise, as i adjust the clutch lever the noise reduces and on high speed too. But with that adjustment, i hardly left with limited ply on the lever.

And in i feel missing little low grunt. Once the machine is on power band, i can see it all doing good !

Probably we will meet once, as im staying near Pallavaram only. :) Will PM once i get access to it.

90% of mechanics will not do the re-sleeve better. I am having 2 RX100's and i went to many Mechanics around the Coimbatore Siddhapudhur area. Yes, i too saw some 2 to 3 bikes which was re-sleeved and running in a good condition. But they are not rough riders.

If possible try to get any bore, else if you find your Mechanic is capable to do this Resleeve better, then go ahead.

Tuning is another part where i felt exhausted and finally i got it done from a retired mechanic. Actually he called me on hearing the miss beat of my bike and told me to come to his home. I went and he took around 40 minutes and Once done, it was totally different. Thing is, If you ride RX in 60 to 70 kph and take the hand from acceleration, till the bike reaches 10 kph it should release the next beat. From 70 kph to 10 kph, it only sing the humming, not even a single beat will come until it reaches 5 to 10 kph.

So there are many things which need to be seen while reworking the RX100, since its one of the GEM of an engine where you hear a wonderful beat (Racing sound).

Hope Mr.BOSS can support you with guidance.
Thanks for your guidance Ambylovers. Not sure whether my mechanic is much capable, but he is doing good work on RX. He too owned a one in good condition (RX135 5S), and recently sold ! Probably i may need to meet Mr. Boss, and have to proceed further on this.

With the more information as you guys share, i do learn more and more, would eventually help on doing better restoration job :)

Can someone throw lights on the below ?

1. Doing DIY painting with spray cans. Can we expect good finish with these spray cans ?
2. How can we check the coils are working good - including the spark strength... ?

Thread Starter #43
Can someone throw lights on the below ?

1. Doing DIY painting with spray cans. Can we expect good finish with these spray cans ?
2. How can we check the coils are working good - including the spark strength... ?
1) Spray can painting couldn't match the output of conventional painting. If you are an hardcore DIY fan, you can try out spray can painting for the frame parts and leave the other parts to painter. Or if the intention is to save few bucks, please stay away.

2) I'm not sure about the DIY way of checking the coils. If you are interested I can direct you to a electrician at Tambaram who has the test rig to check automotive coils.

2) I'm not sure about the DIY way of checking the coils. If you are interested I can direct you to a electrician at Tambaram who has the test rig to check automotive coils.
Thanks Boss for the inputs. For checking the electricals i prefer it to be done by some expert, and not DIY for sure :)
I heard of someone named 'Guna' near Sanitorium, not sure whether you are also referring to the same person. If not, please direct me to the person - that would be more helpful.

Thread Starter #45
Thanks Boss for the inputs. For checking the electricals i prefer it to be done by some expert, and not DIY for sure :)
I heard of someone named 'Guna' near Sanitorium, not sure whether you are also referring to the same person. If not, please direct me to the person - that would be more helpful.
There are positive feedbacks about Guna, but I'm referring to other person at Tambaram Mudichur road. Once you get down from the flyover you could find a small temple a few meters away. There is a concrete road after the temple and the electrician is at the end of that road. I forgot his name and the shop name. I will get you the details tomorrow.

Top Bottom