1990 Yamaha RX100 Restoration

Thread Starter #22
iam from chennai koyambedu
I'm from other end of the city (near vandalur) and my trusted mechanic is very much close to my residence. If you are interested on mechanic around your location, ping me once you get the access to PMs I will share the contact details of my friends inside city. They must me able to help you.
regarding the bike what details you require pl leme know
Model (year)
Mileage
When was it last used?
Piston Size, etc

make 1990
40 i think so
piston and all no idea never opened it up
registration KL

when will this site gives the PM acess
Before start your restoration process, kindly check the piston size and the cylinder kit condition.
I have started the process and then only i came to know its a Sleeved Cylinder Kit.

But Gods grace luckily i got a Used G-2 Cylinder kit for less price..
So kindly check the things before start your process...Else the estimate will go up in case cylinder kit need to be changed.

hi Thanks for your reply i will check that for sure can you let me know what will be approxmimate cost for restoration i need some good mechanic in chennai who does these
kind of things will lot of care i have asked other members also hope i get some help soon

Thread Starter #26
hi Thanks for your reply i will check that for sure can you let me know what will be approxmimate cost for restoration i need some good mechanic in chennai who does these
kind of things will lot of care i have asked other members also hope i get some help soon
Full & proper restoration will cost you upwards of 40k. If you are on tight budget, do it in stages,
Stage 1) Mechanical Upgrade (Engine, transmission, brakes, etc) + Basic electricals + Frame painting (strengthening, if required) + New / Better Tires
Stage 2) Cosmetic Upgrade (Painting, plating, new lamps, etc)

I would suggest not to depend on mechanics, do yourself as much as you can. And don't fall for the fancy words like 'power piston', 'imported parts', 'performance parts', etc. Unless you are into drag racing, genuine Yamaha parts should be more than sufficient.

Hi that's lot of guidance thanks doing it myself is I don't know how to go about . not interested in racing now but once I start driving rx i may push the throttle [;)]

Hi,
I am new to this forum, accidentally read it while searching for micarb. Its very warming to see threads about rx restoration. I just bought one last week for a hefty sum but there are still lot more work left in it. As of now the bike is running, i have a lot of doubts about the bike since its my first own ride. Appreciate anyone who can help me sort what can be done for my ride.

Thread Starter #29
Hi,
I am new to this forum, accidentally read it while searching for micarb. Its very warming to see threads about rx restoration. I just bought one last week for a hefty sum but there are still lot more work left in it. As of now the bike is running, i have a lot of doubts about the bike since its my first own ride. Appreciate anyone who can help me sort what can be done for my ride.
Welcome to TAI and RX family.
List down your doubts and queries, let me try to support as much as I could.

Thanks for the reply mate,
1- I read about 6v - 12v conversion how to find out what is currently in my bike?
2- the pick up little slow(not like an rx would be) what might be the problem? Need not b exact details, is there anything i can check myself?
3- there is rust inside tank, i have called yamaha dealer to get rr-10, but they have said that one acid gets evaporated before it comes to them without that it's useless so they won't take orders.
4- there is rust found in the number plates holders and also little bit under the seat. Would it require full body painting?

Top Bottom