165/65 R13 @ Dream Price - Go for it or Not?

Thread Starter #1

deville_56

Honoured Member
I have been planning to upsize our Estilo's tyres as the puny 145 width is spoiling the ride drastically. Since it's lady driven [owned by my cousin, driven by herself] [me and my brother drove 80% of the mileage [:D] ] and poor condition of road, we are not planning to upgrade to 14 inchers [still 14 incher upgrade is some time away, apollo accelere sh-81]. Vxi's 155 don't make much difference in aesthetics and I am really impressed by the 165 width indica wheels. But something other than money is stopping me from this upgrade. Dunno what it is .

Today, I was in search for allen bolts to fix my R-15 mirrors and I happened to pass by some second hand tyre sellers. Was amazed to see imported offroad tyres [Goodyear and BF Goodrichs] there. Just inquired about Indica wheels and he showed some half worn tyres. Asking price was 400[shock]. Then he offered something else. Set of 5 almost new Indica wheels. Offered for 550 a peice and discount if I am taking the whole set and more discount if exchanging the old set. Now I am really really confused to whether go for that or not. My budget is tight and is reserved for my Dio and still I wanna buy that [still something is stopping me].

The deal is 5 brand new-like Bridgestone 165/65 R13 for 550/piece and discount if i take the entire set and more discount if I return the old set. So even if I can make it out for 450 a piece, it won't cost even the price on new single tyre.

There was XM-1 single piece, new one [looks like used as stepney]. Pricing criteria is based on vehicle model and not tyre brand or speed rating [evil].

[The place is Power House Road in Trivandrum, mini chor bazar. They claims parts are off from total loss claimed cars, but people say most of them are dismantled stolen cars.]

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never heard of such cheaper deals?

Looks like a good deal!

How much Kms tire would have been run ?

Bridgestone is good brand & it should last for atleast 5 years!

Can you post the pics if possible ?

My friend had bought a set of tyres for his Indigo at 400/piece. Though it looked good, it was not at all good. The money he spent was really waste.
And I've heard that threads on the tyres can be remade on a worn out tyre.

These shops are present every where

you get good tyres if they are removed from accident cars

also Bad tyres know as 'cutting tyre' in local term is nothing but deepening the thread which is worn out. its done manually so perfect. these have slim base which cant hold the temperature and burst.

see the side wall and flexibility in tyre if you are going to buy in a 2nd hand.

Best safe option is buying a new one. as in 2nd hand you need to get sound knowledge in tyres .

we bought a 2nd hand tyre for the shop scorpio for 600.
it will be 450 if we have given our old tyre. but we didn't .

Just examine your 2year old estilos tyre.
must be supple like that .
Rub that tyres with your hand. If pieces as in eraser comes off stay away. Also if its like plastic feel stay away.

I saw a Yokohoma tyres in a Siena. I was surprised and enquired about it and learned that they cost 550 a piece. They are imported. Is this one the same as 'cutting tyre'?

Thread Starter #8

deville_56

Honoured Member
CHecked another shop for Dunlop Geocruiser as there is heavy shortage for Zappers [MRF closed]. One second hand guy was selling first hand byk tyres. Not cut ones nor rethreaded, but he was selling them for 1.1k and unnecessarily said warranty till thread is gone. So I suspect there are factory seconds too, old stock or partially damaged.

Loads and loads of Geolanders and Sandgrip and Sand Dueller were there. All in mint condition. They too were not cut tyres as the side of the try couldn't be cut becaus of protruding big blocks.

Set of upto 3 were lik uncut and set of fours looked cut ones in case of 14 and 13 inchers.

BTW we din take the GEocruisers. Instead bought 120 wide zapper after whole day search

I would suggest not to compromise on tyres. This thin piece of rubber is the only contact your vehicle has with the road and any change to direction, acceleration or deceleration need to be done by this piece.
The amount which you spend for tyres is always worth as your life is worth a lot than this piece of rubber which is holding your vehicle to the road. Always go for first hand and buy it from a branded store for warranty card.
If you still want to go for the second hand tyres then check the Week & year of manufacture printed on the sidewall of the tyre. Anything more than 6 months for a new tyre is not advised and on tyres which are already used by someone do not buy something which is older than 1 year.
Check this link for more & complete information http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html

My 2 cents would be go for branded tyres and buy them from a renowned store. End of day its yours and your family safety which lies in the tyre.

Top Bottom