14 Year Young Devil on Wheels - Preloved Yamaha RX135

Thread Starter #1
9 year of hunt got me a 1998 Yamaha RX135 2 days back. [:D]

Background:
I wanted a RX right from my school days, but my parents denied.
Later after 7 years of patience I got a 1994 RX100 when I was working in Gujarat. Sadly sold it within a few months as I relocated to Chennai.

Here is the ownership review
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...yamaha-rx100-short-term-ownership-review.html

Hunt Again:
Level 2 search started a week ago. Searched in each and every classifieds, called every ad poster, visited 5 of them but never satisfied either with the condition of the vehicle or the price.

Finally last Wednesday I found a 14 year young RX135 in average condition with a decent price tag. We spoke around 5:30PM, met him by 08:00pm, had a short TD, finalized the deal for 24k and paid him token advance promising that I will take delivery on the next day (but I couldn't due to urgent office tasks)

Vehicle Details:
Make Model & Variant: Yamaha RX 135 4 speed
Model: 1998 Nov
No. of owners: 1 (fortunately or unfortunately with my same name)
Mileage: 63k
Color: Black
Reason for sale: Not using bike anymore (he is around 45~50 years old, using his wife's Activa or car)

Quick Observation:
- Cold start need choke
- Rear tyre is brand new
- Front tyre needs immediate replacement
- Clutch is good
- Engine roars without any abnormal noise (but at higher rpm there is some sound)
- Trace of oil under the engine & GB
- Frame under the seat started rusting
- Battery needs charging
- All electricals are functional except for Horn & indicators
- Brake shoes need replacement
- Wheels bearings are worn out
- Seat is brand new

Paid him the balance amount and taken delivery by Saturday afternoon.

Mods done so far:
- Removed the RVM
- Changed the OE handle bar to the shorter one (I got used to this handle bar for more than a decade)
- Lubricated all the cables
- Recharged the battery
- Tuned the OE horn (I have a pair of Roots windtone horns, will be fixing it soon)

Mods Planned in near future:
Complete restoration

Here is a teaser image.
Will post more snaps soon

Attachments

Nice bike mate. Seat looks brand new only. And yes I as well don't like the OEM handle. The shorter one with bit of height are best suited with RX100/135. There are shorter versions of RVM available in market. They don't obstruct much while driving. Only one thing I never liked about RX100/135 are those circular signal lights. If possible changed them to the smaller rectangular ones.

Thread Starter #4
Nice bike mate.
Only one thing I never liked about RX100/135 are those circular signal lights. If possible changed them to the smaller rectangular ones.
Thanks dude.

Planning to shorten the rubber portion in indicators (rubber portion alone can be fitted from other bikes) Smaller rectangular ones will look good, but I would like to keep the stock look as much as possible.

Mr. Boss, you surely have a collection of nice rides in your garage (I wish your CityZX was still there). RX100 and 135 were two of the best bikes which are still favourite among the college going crowd, however getting one in good condition a tough job.
Sadly i have never been a rider on this bike, not even a pillion. Do post some more pics and list of mods planned.

Bike seems to be in okay condition. You must change that ugly front mudguard to a proper chromed one from the earlier models. The seat is also not the original one- RXs always had flat seats and not cusped ones like the one in the photograph.

I earnestly wish that you should have got an RX100 instead of the RX135 (you know why, don't you?). But I also know that finding an RX100 in a good shape and at a good prrice is too much of an effort nowadays.

Please post a sound clipof the engine. 63000 kms is a lot of mileage for a two stroker. Get the engine and silencer decarbonised and replace the spark plug and air filter- you will feel the sudden increase in performance at a nominal cost. I suggest not to touch the engine till the time something major goes wrong with it as nothing can match the factory fit.

Keep us updated. And MORE SNAPS PLEASE!!

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Mr. Boss, you surely have a collection of nice rides in your garage (I wish your CityZX was still there).
Thanks Akash.
[cry] I'm missing my City ZX badly.

I earnestly wish that you should have got an RX100 instead of the RX135 (you know why, don't you?). But I also know that finding an RX100 in a good shape and at a good prrice is too much of an effort nowadays.
Came across few RX100s in decent condition, but quoted not less than 35k.

Please post a sound clipof the engine. 63000 kms is a lot of mileage for a two stroker!
My car mechanic owns a 1998 RX135 clocked 100k a month back. OE odometer currently reads 00860 km. I think he is running with second size piston.

Thread Starter #8
Update:

FE:
At the condition I got from previous owner - 28kmpl

Latest FE figures
1) 49.7 kmpl [:)] (49.7km for 1L petrol)
2) 51.9 kmpl [:D] (72.2km for 1.39L petrol)

Reasons for sudden boost in mileage
- Carburetor tuning (didn't clean it, complete service will be done in a couple of weeks)
- Chain lubrication
- Tyre pressure corrected
- Fuel tank & filter flushed

nice find mr boss
I have always cherished keep one however couldn't get my hands on one since those were my school days and my parents didn't fancy the idea of my biking
i remember this one in particular used to rule the roost in the bike segment as they say what pulsar did in last 5 years
but handling and performance and even looks this legacy is a beauty
do get some more pics on this thread

Thread Starter #11
Thanks dude

[surprise]. Still are you sure of those FE figures. In my college days, my group people had yamahas and none of them was able to get more than 30 kmpl.
Even I doubt the speedo/odo error. Let me check with GPS and update you.[roll]

FE depends on how we drive. One of my colleague is getting 55kmpl with his 2000 RX135 and whenever his brother drives it, he never managed to get more than 28kmpl.

Thread Starter #12
Got some rough estimate for restoration.
1) Painting: 7500 INR
- Complete stripe down
- Frame & engine cylinder - Matt black
- Cylinder head & GB, Front fork, hubs - Metallic grey (similar to Honda Unicorn)
- Tank + shield - Shiny black

2) Parts: 11000 INR
- Rim + Spokes
- Tail lamp assembly with back plate & number plate
- Front & Rear mud guards with flaps
- Monogram set + Stickers (should I go for RX135 or RX100?)
- Indicators
- Indicator + HL switch assembly
- Brake shoes
- Wheel bearing
- Rear brake pedal
- Kicker
- Gear shift lever
- Pulsar rear shock absorbers
- Front Tyre & Tube
- Engine oil
- Packing kit, oil seal kit, rubber mount kit
- Carburetor manifold + clips + all tubes

3) Labour: 4000 INR

Total: 22500 INR

What say guys? Am I missing some parts?

Even I doubt the speedo/odo error. Let me check with GPS and update you.
FE depends on how we drive. One of my colleague is getting 55kmpl with his 2000 RX135 and whenever his brother drives it, he never managed to get more than 28kmpl.
Yes that might be also the case. As it is if you are driving RX 100/135 than you would not drive sedately. Just rev the bike and let people know with the sound of exhaust that RX just passed by. [clap]

7500 for painting??!!Exhorbitant. Is he gold plating your bike?

Rs. 11000 for the parts that you have listed also seems a bit on the higher side, especially considering that no critical parts are involved. Please provide a break up of individual parts. I am sure one can procure all this stuff in a place like, say, Bangalore for Rs. 4000 less at least.

In my opinion, a complte build up of an RX100/135 (including painting and engine work plus labour) should not exceed Rs. 15000.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
This quote is not from my regular mechanic. To have an idea got quote from a new guy. No negotiation was done.

7500 for painting??!!Exhorbitant. Is he gold plating your bike?
Forgot to mention. This includes Painting additional set of tank + 2 shields (I planned to apply RX100 sticker + monogram in current tank & shield and RX135 sticker + monogram in additional set) + Teflon coating + painting the rear mud guard and front mud guard inner side with anti-corrosion painting

Please provide a break up of individual parts. I am sure one can procure all this stuff in a place like, say, Bangalore for Rs. 4000 less at least.
I don't have the complete break-up. Even I suppose this should cost around 8k.

Thanks for the inputs dude[/QUOTE]

Top Bottom