“Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (5 Years Report)

Re: “Thunderbolt” XUV 5OO Detailed Review (Decals, Audio, LED, Mods++)

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...e-powder-xuv-500-brake-issues.html#post287327

Please assist the issue.

Excerpt-
My XUV 500 THUNDERBOLT just returned from a 900KM Trip and I was horrified to find this black soot all over the alloys. Looks like the powder is coming from brake system. Interestingly, it covers only front wheels so the chances of it being dust etc is ruled out. Its definately not just. Smells wierd too.
Though I am not an expert, I think the formation of brake dust in normal, especially in a new vehicle/brake pads. I do see it very often on the front alloys of my Scorpio too. The dust generation is due to brake wear/brake pad wear AFAIK. The amount of Dust generated depends on the materials used in the specific brake pad used.

Do you have the famous XUV squeaking noise while braking, the problem which seems to have resolved with the most recent Galfer brake pads. The squeaking noise could have been due to a harder brake pad abd in order to negate the noise if the manufacturer makes the pads softer generation of excessive brake dust is possible.

Please visit the A.S.S and get your brake assembly checked for any abnormalities especially any excessive wear of the brake pad or any damage to the rotor.

I still feel there is nothing alarming to worry about, as long as there is no issue with braking or wheel alignments.

IR should be the right person to comment here. Other experts please enlighten as well.

Last edited:

Great going bhvm! Liking every bit of it.
The brake thing is common, relax and have fun.

Thread Starter #33

bhvm

Honoured Member

Great going bhvm! Liking every bit of it.
The brake thing is common, relax and have fun.
glad about that mate.
any specific comments on my led lights? it's on the first page.

any specific comments on my led lights? it's on the first page.
Personally I am a big fan of LED's and DIY's. The pics show you have put lot of thought behind it. Great Job Man!

One suggestion - you should hide those wires and work on the fit and finish a bit.

Just one doubt. Why only one LED in the center? Wont two look cool?[roll]

Rest, the Cheetha is looking Awesome... I mean the 'Thunderbolt'![glasses]

Thread Starter #36

bhvm

Honoured Member

Personally I am a big fan of LED's and DIY's. The pics show you have put lot of thought behind it. Great Job Man!

One suggestion - you should hide those wires and work on the fit and finish a bit.
fit and finish, yes. especially Water proofing.
however the wires you see are in wip section, currently there are no wires visible even after opening the hood.

Thread Starter #37

bhvm

Honoured Member

Just one doubt. Why only one LED in the center? Wont two look cool?[roll]

Rest, the Cheetha is looking Awesome... I mean the 'Thunderbolt'![glasses]
two will be better but I made only 1 unit for trial. also, 2 units will have mounting challenge and I don't want to install crash guards for the sole purpose.

maybe I could open up the factory fogs and install leds in their place. but that's after warranty.

How about putting similar kind of stuff in the front fog light area?[:)]

BlueSense System-

Long before I booked the THUNDERBOLT, I knew that Mahindra has an Android app Called BlueSense. Its an Indian First that allows you to view various vehicle info and Control Music right from the Mobile Phone! I Played around with the App and it sure is Novel. Infact, It reminds me of some Old James Bond Movie where Bond controls His car using a tablet !!If the Spirit continues, those days may not far away from us..
Nice.

I am thinking to connect the same to my android phone.

So just wanted your help in that, what are the things that i need to get in order to connect it to my phone?

I have recently bought a Samsung galaxy S duos and it's running on android 4.0.4.

Will it be sufficient to run this application?

Thread Starter #40

bhvm

Honoured Member

Nice.

I am thinking to connect the same to my android phone.

So just wanted your help in that, what are the things that i need to get in order to connect it to my phone?

I have recently bought a Samsung galaxy S duos and it's running on android 4.0.4.

Will it be sufficient to run this application?
with ease,
first download the Mahindra blue sense app from google market. install it.
pair your phone to 500 info system via Bluetooth. (phone and music )
NOW start the app and it should connect automatically. enjoy!

with ease,
first download the Mahindra blue sense app from google market. install it.
pair your phone to 500 info system via Bluetooth. (phone and music )
NOW start the app and it should connect automatically. enjoy!
Thanks buddy.

I have downloaded the app and installed it, now i only need to connect it with the infotainment system. Will do that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.[:)]

Thread Starter #42

bhvm

Honoured Member

Thanks buddy.

I have downloaded the app and installed it, now i only need to connect it with the infotainment system. Will do that tomorrow and let you know how it goes.[:)]
Tried it mate?

I've just been to indore, Posting the update soon.

Thread Starter #43

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hello Folks, I had a visit to Madhya Pradesh with my Thunderbolt and I would like to update the same

Total round trip was about 750KM, Which included Mix of Traffic jams, Highway Runs and Ghats.

FE was displayed as 12.5 by Info Display, Which left me unsatisfied. Will it change after first service?

GPS and all other functions worked perfectly, I used it to find various places around Indore, M.P and it very accurately guided me towards the same. There is also some AI sense in the GPS unit. Once, I took a slightly parallel road to some place rather than what GPS showed me. On the next run, It picked up my preffered route automatically! Impressive!

I found out an interesting way to arrange baggage into last row. Usually, what a gentleman does is- fold the last row down and stow stuff there. However as we were 6 people (only one last seat folded) the baggage would slip around and land in my granny's lap. On the way back, I kept ALL seats up, and arranged bags ON Seat. It sounds strange but give it a shot and it works.
Pics will help you understand better.

The last-most portion swallowed just one laptop bag. Due to the curvature of loading lip, we can't place 3 bags even if the area seems good in width! What a poor show!

Pic

The usual Speeds were 80~100 on 4 lane roads. I used cruze control a bit as well. 6th gear can be utilized from speeds as low as 75, but better reserve it for over 90.
For Zippy overtaking, (assume you're lazily doing 80 in 6th gear) i would suggest down shifting straight to 4th (rather than 5th) helps a lot.

The Vehicle Feels very stable and Planted. Brakes are First class. Diriving Thunderbolt at 100KMPH Gives same peace and comfrort (Plain roads only) compared to safari at 80 KMPH. Cabin is very well isolated

The LED lightbar that I made took an acid test this time. What test? read on!

We faced a fierce Rainstorm on the way. It was an experience of my life! There was a mysitc mix of excitement, Fear, Insecurity, Courage and enthusiasm. My brain was a roller coaster. I saw many small shops being upturned, Trees fallen and debris rolling around. We had to stop the car as there was hardly any visibltiy. There was rain, there was wind and most dangerous- DUST! Rather than clear rain we usually see, the storm kicked quite a bit of dust that made the rainshower more like a spray of Mud. We were lucky to find a safe spot betweem 2 parked trucks and away from any trees. We could feel the vehicle shake and rattle due to extreme pressure of the wind. Dad asked to shut off wipers as the mud would scratch the glass. Overall, It was something that can not be penned or written. You have to be there. 10 minutes but most thrill of the whole ride.

Attachments

Tried it mate?

I've just been to indore, Posting the update soon.
Actually i have installed this app on my dad's phone and i have made 2 trips but my dad was not with me[glasses]. But i will be updating you soon, most probably next week as i am going to Delhi and my dad will come with me as well.

BTW: Looking forward for an update from your side.

FE was displayed as 12.5 by Info Display, Which left me unsatisfied. Will it change after first service?
That's what i get when i drive in Delhi, Faridabad and Gurgaon traffic + highway trips on a full tank with 100% AC.

But when i fill the tank and just drive on highways i have attained maximum FE of 14.7.

GPS and all other functions worked perfectly, I used it to find various places around Indore, M.P and it very accurately guided me towards the same. There is also some AI sense in the GPS unit. Once, I took a slightly parallel road to some place rather than what GPS showed me. On the next run, It picked up my preffered route automatically! Impressive!
+1 to that. I like this feature very much. But then i feel that they should have incorporated an Alternate Route feature as well.

And those pics show how bad the weather was, almost no visibility.

Thread Starter #45

bhvm

Honoured Member

Top Bottom