“Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (5 Years Report)

Re: “Thunderbolt” Mahindra XUV5OO Detailed Review (4 Years Report)

even in mine those pieces keep on falling on bad roads, I just push them back.

ODO 72k.

Nothing much to report.
Thunderbolt got a small paint chip due to errant biker. Can this be touched up?

And these pieces just fell when driving, So I pressed em into place. They are from behind IRVM.
even in mine those pieces keep on falling on bad roads, I just push them back.
Same thing happened with my car as well when I was fidling with the IRVM, but the service guys fixed it for me for free of cost. I guess they used a very thin layer of double sided tape. And they have never fallen apart since then.

Thread Starter #753

bhvm

Honoured Member

I used clear tape to secure the joints on that plastic panel. I hope it won't fall now.

Thread Starter #754

bhvm

Honoured Member

Hello,
After a long time I got to spend some time with the thunderbolt. We did about 1100Kms in 3 days. Thankfully there are no new bugs to report. The USB pen drive socket has become little loose so I get "Reading USB" on HU once in a while and music is interrupted.
Also this was perhaps the first time with a full pack of 7 people onboard. There is no change in vehicle handling and the cheetah attains full speeds with the same grace.

I also paid some attention to FE and speed relation this time. Here are my observations. All are MID figures so there might be some offset-

Sustained 80~90 KMPH-16 KMPL
100~110 with peaks till 120- 14.8 KMPL
100~110 with peaks till 130- 14.2 KMPL
130~150 Sustained with peaks till 180- 9.4 to 10.2 KMPL. (Pedal to metal)

Please note this these value are with Medium traffic. Values are likely to increase with lesser traffic (Morning hours)

p.S thought about buying Mahindra Xylo for Company/ Marketing vehicle. Did'nt know where to write to wrote here. There is still some time though.

Thread Starter #755

bhvm

Honoured Member

So guys, This sunday I got bored, Threw in a bunch of friends and set foot on random adventure. Now well versed with softroading capablities of Cheetah, I set tyres on this Mountain plateu. Its a place near Chandwad, Nashik.

Soon after we were done photography, The rain gods brought in a blanket of fog and shower of H20. Very pleasant climate. Here are a few panoramas for ya' all.

Attachments

Thread Starter #756

bhvm

Honoured Member

More pics.

Attachments

Thread Starter #757

bhvm

Honoured Member

The cheetah was one again on the run.
520KMs. ODO at 74K Kms. My observarions-

1. The shuffle option for USB is truly random. Even on Same pen drive you get a new random mix every time. Small but significant feature as I use same pen drive but want a new mix every time.

2. After a long time (I guess years), did a Tank full FE check.
So after a short stint on the expressway, Random 2-way traffic, Rural Messy traffic, 50+ Diversions (Road works in progress), 2 Railway crossing idlings, 100+ Speedbreakers and all the works-
I have a Truly diversified and Comprehensive figure-
13.4 KMPL.
The MID was showing 14.9 KMPL at the moment- a Pathetic offset of 1.5 KMPL.

Please note that my Target speeds were only 100~110 KMPH and vehicle was leisurely driven. I Believe achieving 14.5 KMPL Should be easy with less traffic and diversions. The AC and Subwoofers were working all time.

Thread Starter #758

bhvm

Honoured Member

ODO 74.5K Kms.
All is well.

1. Did some emergency braking and swerving. One Idiotic Politician In tuv 300 (We know TUV has piss poor Pick up and performance) decided to do some idiot style overtaking on 2 way road. I was following a Pick-up. He braked. I braked. The TUV passed by (Oncoming) in a blur. He was also using Yellow lights (Siren/beacon) and dark films which are banned by Govt. Textbook Idiot.

XUV has superb braking. Period.

Thinking to use some old phones as dash cams for long trips.

2. Did some really bad road Dusty/Gravel Climbs where other cars were burning their clutch plates and spinning their tyres like crazy (i20, Ertiga, Swift). XUV did just fine in 1st gear. No drama at all.

3. Some pics from recent trip.

Attachments

Thread Starter #760

bhvm

Honoured Member

it's a nameless rural location beyond sakri towards Gujarat border.even GPS stops working 20kms before the jungle. glad you liked em.

Thread Starter #761

bhvm

Honoured Member

All is well.
Odo is at 77k Kms.
No issues to report.
Thinking about sending the beast for small service to nearby town. Just to Maintain warranty.

These days I turn on HID fogs on Highways for safety. They look really well from afar. Almost like OEM merc DRLs. No fading or heating observed.

Thread Starter #762

bhvm

Honoured Member
Thunderbolt XUV 70k Service

Thunderbolt XUV 70k Service-
The beast was running fine and all was well.
As per the recommended Interval I took the beast to Nashik for 70k Service. The round trip was 350Kms for the same.

We reached at Jitendra motors at 10 in the morning. Our usual SA, Amol welcomed us with a smile. There was quite a bit of rush so vehicle was taken in only at 11. The SA sent vehicle for wash as washing bay was free and mechanics were not. This time I must say, their washing was very good. The beast was gleaming like anything. They also applied tyre polish. Glasses were clean. Interiors were cleaned with compressed air and cloth.

There were'nt much issues to report. A few highlights-

1>TMPS showing tyre swapped (I havent swapped any tyres though)- TPMS learning done.
2> Tyre pressure low in Spare wheel- All wheels tyre pressure filled and correctly set
3> Air filter cleaning- Done
4> New AC Cabin filter installed as per schedule
5> Signs of rat entry in Cabin!. After looking high and low, could not find any entry points for rat. The air intakes are already meshed. Experts, advise.
6> Top up done for coolant, Brake oil (very minor qualtity Both). Washer fluid filled.
7> All Lights checked. Told them specifically to NOT touch HID systems.
8> No updates for ECU or Maps GPS available. SA hinted that there may not be anymore updates for 1st gen XUV as 2nd gen is already here and uses different file formats.
9> Tyre rotation done.
10> Driver side brake sensor wire was cut. Joined and taped it as connector was not available.
11>Overall service cost, 3500. Fuel Filled.. 3000.
12> Achieved 77,777 Milestone. Stopped and took Pic.
13> Vehicle was washed and cleaned once again before handing over.

Found one XUV with 265/65/R17 Ceat CZAR AT tyres installled. Looks very nice and butch. But hardly any space in wheel wells remain.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #763

bhvm

Honoured Member

Gave my cheetah a bit of TLC this sunday.
Interior vacuuming and then,
Waxpol leather, dash and plastic shiner.

Attachments

Thread Starter #764

bhvm

Honoured Member

So as Yesterday I tried starting the beast exactly after 1 Month of rest. And Unsurprisingly it failed to start. Only relays would click and dials would restart.

So removed battery and put it on charging on my Solar system. This time after charging the battery to around 13.8v, I have a further boost charge till 14.7v. It helps dissolve sulphation and also restores battery health. Electrolyte was already level. OCV was a dull 12.42v

Charged in the Noon. Set it to rest.
After overnight rest, the battery reported OCV of 12.81v. That assured me that battery was good and there are no shorts/open cells. Installed battery in morning and cheetah roared to life in a go.

P.s- I notice that Mahindra has given Start-stop certified battery. Nice.

Attachments

Thread Starter #765

bhvm

Honoured Member

Odo- 80k Kms
All is good.
No new niggles identified.
Did 1000 Km + 1000Km Run last week.
The entire run takes about 15 hours on Both sides. Enjoyed the cruising power of XUV at triple digits. The beast really pulls well and all those 140 horses can be felt.

It seems battery charging has worked its magic and there were no starting issues all throught the trip.
Beast once again in Hibernation mode for now.

Last edited:

Top Bottom