“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

Thread Starter #290

bhvm

Honoured Member
Started the Elephant today and drove a short distance to buy Essentials. It seems the Beast has left the den after a slumber of about 40 days. No issues to Report as such. All systems working as Expected.
Engaged 2L for a while to get that T-Case Oil circulated and Shift motor activation.

Thread Starter #292

bhvm

Honoured Member
Blue Elephant made another trip around the city for Essentials. Things are returning to normal and most of Shops are now open.
Fruit markets have been divided by the authorities and no more than 5 vendors are found in usual places. This is to prevent Crowding.

Wiper switch appears to have gone bad. Wipers work only on full speeds. Also washer jets have died down. Maybe debris jammed inside them.
Drove around in 2L to feel the power for some 500 Mtrs. Feels nice.

Thread Starter #293

bhvm

Honoured Member
Took the Elephant out after a good Month just to Have oils Circulating. 2L mode as usual is Fun.
Starts up nicely. I do not have to worry about Batteries as my Solar System keeps them on a trickle charge (Most of my vehicles are stored that way).

1. Wipers are back. Maybe it was just carbon or loose contact in switches.
2. AC appears to have developed some fault. There is hissing noise from the dash and hardly any cooling. It might be that Gas has Escaped due to Lockdown (No use)
Though I used to Crank the car and turn on AC every week for a few minutes.

Missing the good old days. Last Monsoon was sooo Much better. Be it Offroading or Visiting Lakes and so on.

Took the Elephant out after a good Month just to Have oils Circulating. 2L mode as usual is Fun.
Starts up nicely. I do not have to worry about Batteries as my Solar System keeps them on a trickle charge (Most of my vehicles are stored that way).

1. Wipers are back. Maybe it was just carbon or loose contact in switches.
2. AC appears to have developed some fault. There is hissing noise from the dash and hardly any cooling. It might be that Gas has Escaped due to Lockdown (No use)
Though I used to Crank the car and turn on AC every week for a few minutes.

Missing the good old days. Last Monsoon was sooo Much better. Be it Offroading or Visiting Lakes and so on.
Could there be any corrosion in the AC plumbing ? Causing slow gas leaks.Also please share more information about your trickle charger

Thread Starter #295

bhvm

Honoured Member
Visually there is nothing. I Haven't visited AC guy yet. Lockdowns are showing signs of Extension and Policies are all over the place.
About the Trickle, Its not a charger Per-se. But a part of my Comprehensive solar setup.
A few videos have been posted here-
Solar Energy

Blue Elephant made another trip around the city for Essentials. Things are returning to normal and most of Shops are now open.
Fruit markets have been divided by the authorities and no more than 5 vendors are found in usual places. This is to prevent Crowding.

Wiper switch appears to have gone bad. Wipers work only on full speeds. Also washer jets have died down. Maybe debris jammed inside them.
Drove around in 2L to feel the power for some 500 Mtrs. Feels nice.
I hv a friend's Safari 4X4 2.2 dicor standing in front of my home for sometimes since friend is out of country. The problem with the vehicle is 4L& 4H light always stays on irrespective of the mode . Alternator is heating like some boiler . Battery is draining within a night if kept connected.
From where should i start to maintain it properly as usable as possible ?
Friend dont want to spend much as hes not here
DIY r highly welcome

Thread Starter #297

bhvm

Honoured Member
"Insert Quotes" On Multi Quote is not working (this happens often) so I will reply you point wise.
1. These errors have been thoroughly discussed and remedied here-
Borg Warner Electric-Shift 4x4 Troubleshooting & Repair

2. Alternator and Battery down both show that there is an Electrical Short somewhere.

3. Read around the thread. Its Replete with Many DIYs, Repairs & Doubts. and you are welcome to ask me more!

"Insert Quotes" On Multi Quote is not working (this happens often) so I will reply you point wise.
1. These errors have been thoroughly discussed and remedied here-
Borg Warner Electric-Shift 4x4 Troubleshooting & Repair

2. Alternator and Battery down both show that there is an Electrical Short somewhere.

3. Read around the thread. Its Replete with Many DIYs, Repairs & Doubts. and you are welcome to ask me more!
Quick update
Disconnected the alternator & checked the current consumption without starting the engine . Current drawn came to nearly 0.3- 0.1A. which was some 4A when alternator is connected . So my question is how the tension of the alternator belt is adjusted ?
Removed the alternator myself nothing much difficult but installing it back seems a task

I suggest you visit a mechanic. I haven't played with the Alternator so cant guide you.
No problem .
Update :
Lucas TVS is no more the alternator part vendor of safari . New models come with Bosch alternator . So repairing the old one seems impossible. Have to buy new alternator. Old stock Lucas tvs alternator is for ₹9.5k. Bosch make is ₹13.5k .
Going for Lucas make most probably because its very abuse friendly compared to Bosch . Btw safari have a whopping 125A alternator like some volvo buses
Posting the old alternator images for references

Attachments

Top Bottom