“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

With my Zest to make myself and my Rides safer on the Road, I have ordered some 3m Reflective strips. These strips will be installed at the front (White) and rear (Red) to promote Conspicuity. I have been working with various options where I may have good visibility along with good style. Please suggest me some good locations to paste the tapes. I have worked out a few and more are welcome.
The Red tap position is good. Doesn't look like Taxi. However the white you can stick around the headlights in shape of DRLS on the borders, and then at the lower part of your bumper where you have that chrome finish.
Also if white tape is not too instrusive see if you can put in on the border of the bonnet like beading. Only few MM intruding the top area of the bonnet. But that should be able to reflect light noticeably.

the lower border of the rear bumper and the corners of the bumper on the front side is my suggestion .Too much reflector strip will make your vehicle lose its charm and look like a taxi

Thread Starter #259

bhvm

Honoured Member
The elephant has been suffering major issues with Moisture & Fog. Each and every glass is fogged up. Carpets have become damp. Just placed some silica gel hoping to get some relief.
P_20190923_202314.jpg
P_20190923_202320.jpg
P_20190923_202328.jpg
P_20190923_202338.jpg
P_20190923_202351.jpg
P_20190923_202619.jpg

The elephant has been suffering major issues with Moisture & Fog. Each and every glass is fogged up. Carpets have become damp. Just placed some silica gel hoping to get some relief.
View attachment 263880 View attachment 263881 View attachment 263882 View attachment 263883 View attachment 263884 View attachment 263885
Why don't you open and air out the interiors ..there is a risk of mould formation and smelly interiors with prolonged dampness..check your door seal rubber and floor rubber grommets for degradation..if possible place a room heater inside and dry out

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
here too you are hell bent on sealing air and water entry /exit from the cowl area!!
I do agree with this that so thorough air-tight type of sealing should not be done.
Ventilation is a must part engineered into the design of the vehicle.Sealing everything is unhealthy as well as staleness-promotional. Rusting is also speeded up .

Last edited:
Thread Starter #263

bhvm

Honoured Member
After placing the silica Gel overnight, The fogging is gone.
Why don't you open and air out the interiors ..there is a risk of mould formation and smelly interiors with prolonged dampness..check your door seal rubber and floor rubber grommets for degradation..if possible place a room heater inside and dry out
This is a very good idea. However I do not have a room heater, And I did not want the risks of placing one in such a small space. So I used the British era technique that works lovingly.
You closed every exit with those damping pads(including AC air inlet points i guess) - so this is but of course expected.
Remove those first thing! Else you are risking a major fungus spread inside.
I do agree with this that so thorough air-tight type of sealing should not be done.
Ventilation is a must part engineered into the design of the vehicle.Sealing everything is unhealthy as well as staleness-promotional. Rusting is also speeded up .
The issue is happening due to Trademark Safari "Wetting the carpet" syndrome. Its a hereditary issue and comes with Most tatas of this era.
Gentlemen,
If the engineering was so good and carefully done, wetting syndrome should not have happened in the first place. This is not careful engineering but is sheer stupidity. Had I not sealed the scuff plates and Cowl areas I am sure there would be puddles of water on the floor (This is currently happening with many safaris on SOUL Group. A Safari 3.0 Was recently stranded on the road as Water reached the fuse compartment behind dashboard, apparently this water comes form cowl area). And Rusting would've been so bad I may have my feet through the floor in a couple of years. So yes, The seals are never coming off.

Interestingly, My XUV is standing just besides and does not suffer ANY water entry or fogging.
Double Interestingly, @mayankdixit is suffering ditto issues with his Tata and none in Mahindra.
My Mahindra is carefully sealed, which removes any doubts in that regard. Sealed or Not sealed.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...eview-living-the-nexon-life.32791/post-585982

P_20190925_093034_HDR.jpg
P_20190925_093043_HDR.jpg
P_20190925_093055_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Now I just cannot put up a counter-argument,taking into consideration that I am in the same boat as you are.
All I can say is that XUV500 is a gem of a car[:D][clap]

Last edited:
he issue is happening due to Trademark Safari "Wetting the carpet" syndrome. Its a hereditary issue and comes with Most tatas of this era.
Gentlemen,
If the engineering was so good and carefully done, wetting syndrome should not have happened in the first place. This is not careful engineering but is sheer stupidity. Had I not sealed the scuff plates and Cowl areas I am sure there would be puddles of water on the floor (This is currently happening with many safaris on SOUL Group. A Safari 3.0 Was recently stranded on the road as Water reached the fuse compartment behind dashboard, apparently this water comes form cowl area). And Rusting would've been so bad I may have my feet through the floor in a couple of years. So yes, The seals are never coming off.

Interestingly, My XUV is standing just besides and does not suffer ANY water entry or fogging.
Double Interestingly, @mayankdixit is suffering ditto issues with his Tata and none in Mahindra.
My Mahindra is carefully sealed, which removes any doubts in that regard. Sealed or Not sealed.
I dont fully agree with you, tata engineering part i agree , its obviously because leaves and other dust eventually clog your drainage beneath the wiper cowl - however for this reason i wouldn't seal off all entrances - its going to eventually lead to moisture inside especially at times when it is not used and then a fungus attack. I would rather figure a way to make the drainage more effective or prevent leaves and other bigger items entering it. You can prevent the water from entering one place, but it will find a way to go else where and cause a different issue - solve the symptom, not the aftermath will be my suggestion.

Thread Starter #266

bhvm

Honoured Member
The elephant is due to Insurance renewal in 2 weeks. My current Insurer has been HDFC ergo which gave a good quote last time. However, this year they seem to have removed RSA. Can anyone suggest good Insurer with RSA?The elephant is due to Insurance renewal in 2 weeks. My current Insurer has been HDFC ergo which gave a good quote last time. However, this year they seem to have removed RSA. Can anyone suggest good Insurer with RSA?

Thread Starter #267

bhvm

Honoured Member
I talked to HDFC today, It seems hardly anyone is offering RSA on vehicles older than 7 years (10 on some). Which seems foolish.
Also I have asked them to continue my previous years IDV without depreciation. As expected i need some senior level escalations and Special permissions to get that done. Will keep you posted.

Thread Starter #269

bhvm

Honoured Member
This time HDFC are having very lukewarm & Time pass response. It has been a week I have been fighting for keeping my IDV the same and even after 2 officer changes they have not given me proper quote. I will try talkling to Bajaj Alianz. However as per coverfox, their IDV offer 4.3 lacs which is very high and is blowing my budget...

I renewed my insurance with new india.
IDV 7.20 Lakh , nil dip . cost 26780/-
Online were 19000/- for more idv.
however confused went ahead with local branch.
I have used new India before, Its ok for TP policies but never beyond that.
Service is practically NIL and there is no Cashless, RSA etc support.

yes cashless not available.
However since a friend is agent i dont get any issue. Only once i have claimed for rear glass which was broken during my reversing out.

Same new india insurance if bought via dealer you have cashless facility.

Top Bottom