“The Blue Elephant” My Safari 4x4 Review & Mods

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
Wire itself may have been disconnected/ broken from the coupling.
All the heavy diesels like safari use hydraulic clutches. There's Master cylinder near the pedal, supplied with oil. Then Oil goes down to clutch at the slave cylinder.
Sorry, my bad. How could I forget. [embarass] Despite of :
XUV =hydraulic clutch with concentric slave cylinder.
Nexon =hydraulic clutch with concentric slave cylinder.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #378

bhvm

Honoured Member
Master cylinder failing is quite rare, its usually the slave cylinder that always gives up
Agreed. Its weird. and the way it failed is also weird.
hydraulic clutch with concentric slave cylinder.
Thankfully Safari uses a oldschool truck type (non concentric) slave where the slave sits outside the gearbox, and connects vie a shaft to move the clutch. No teardowns necessary for replacement!

Thread Starter #379

bhvm

Honoured Member
Update on clutch issue.
Yesterday I received the parts from boodmo and went running to ASC for getting my beast back on track. With hopes that I might have a "gift" for Christmas. And atleast have a drive or two.
IMG_20221224_152029_DS.jpg

Removing the Master & Slave cylinder took some time as they are located awkwardly and its hard to get wrenches in.
Upon removal, We found the cylinders to be actually good. Which is super strange. The pistons were working.
IMG_20221224_154445_DS.jpg

On closer inspection and to my Horror, We found out that the slave cylinder (which sits on a clutch fork and actuates the fork to release the clutch) has ended up damaging the clutch fork itself!.
Initial diagnosis looks puzzling & Grim.
Clutch fork VID-20221224-WA0003.mp4_snapshot_00.04_[2022.12.25_16.59.05].jpg
Clutch fork VID-20221224-WA0003.mp4_snapshot_00.14_[2022.12.25_16.59.15].jpg

I have never heard of this kind of failure despite using Safaris since 98. Nor has the Mechanic.
The mech suggested that such awkward failure is only possible of something is further damaged in the clutch cover or gearbox and has ended up giving a strong strike to clutch fork, causing it to move out of range and causing a catastrophic failure. I can now imagine (with my Paining head) broken pieces of something, flying in the gearbox bell housing.

Well, if you think thats the end of bad news, Here is more.
Since this repair calls for removal for Gearbox and Gearbox is situated behind the 4x4 assembly, the said assembly will have to removed too.
Removing the 4x4 is a complicated process and costs 6k just for labour.
But wait, it get worse,
Since removing the 4x4 system requires a better equipped & trained workshop, I will have to tow the beast to a larger city and get it done there.
Sigh.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
On closer inspection and to my Horror, We found out that the slave cylinder (which sits on a clutch fork and actuates the fork to release the clutch) has ended up damaging the clutch fork itself!.
The pics are not making it clear about what is damaged and how much is damaged. Maybe I don't know exactly what to look for.
Sorry to hear about the problems your beast is facing. And I am worried there may be more problems coming out when everything is dismantled. I pray that it wont be so.
Good thing is that once everything is put back ,your clutch related issues, which have been troubling you for quite some time, might get solved once and for all.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #381

bhvm

Honoured Member
Opera Snapshot_2022-12-25_122603_boodmo.com.png

The above image is a clutch fork. The hollow area in the middle houses the drive shaft & clutch bearing.
This fork lifts the clutch when pedal is pressed.

Opera Snapshot_2022-12-25_205840_boodmo.com.png

This zoomed in area has a divot where the slave cylinder applies force. As you can see in earlier images, the divot area has been drilled through by the slave cylinder shaft.

Opera Snapshot_2022-12-25_210153_boodmo.com.png

This is what a slave cylinder looks like. The protruding shaft presses onto the clutch fork where the divot is.

your clutch related issues, which have been troubling you for quite some time, might get solved once and for all.
I did'nt have any clutch issues before this. Just that safari clutches are normally quite stiff. The design is based on TATA 407 truck. Lots of parts were actually interchangeable between Safari 3.0L, Tata mobile 207 and Tata 407.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
These Mechanics must have done atleast a Dozen Installs & Refits on my car, Trying to Make sense of the problem. Tried aligning, Replacing internal washers.
After spending a whole day, 11 Bottles of Brake oil and lots of Agitation, It was finally declared that the Brand new Cylinder I had brought from Boodmo was either Incompatible or has some Unexplained defect. Due to all this experimentation, The cylinder also got ruined & wasted.
I didn't have any clutch issues before this
OK, your master cylinder ordeal confused me. I presumed it was related to clutch. Apparently not.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Thanks @bhvm for the video.

I have this product, purchased last year when I found my car seat got coated with mold & fungus and kept one pack in my car. However, by mistake I pulled out both the aluminium foil and the white safety cover. The result was, in a few days it all melt down and become a pasty liquid.[embarass]

IMG_20230725_085652.jpg

Two packs still left with me and now I am going to keep one in my car (the proper way as you explained in the video). It has been raining here since last few days and little bit mold started to develop.

Top Bottom