A Wet Malnad Trip in an Alto

Thread Starter #1
Hello people, our family like to travel, and I had a week off from my job, so we planned for a Trip to the Malnad.

Prelude:
Wonder what is Malnad? well many people know, but to understand its the region situated in the Western Ghats in Karnataka.
Malnad= Ma-le(Rain) , Nadu (Region), it is called as Rainy Region as the rains are common and pretty heavy.
To be brief this whole place is in chain of hills and breath taking views of the hills, waterfalls etc.

Total Distance: 850kms.
Car: Alto.
No. of People: 4.Me, Dad,Mom and Sister.
Days in Journey: 3.
Road Condition: Moderate.

DAY 1:
We left Bangalore around 3PM.Had plans to reach Horanadu, since it is roughly 350 kms from Bangalore and would we would have reached late night and unsure about the Road conditions,we started towards Hassan and we had a plan to rest in Hassan, but we reached Hassan early at 6 pm so thought it's a waste if we stay and thought if we reach Belur (which is 50kms away from Hassan) we can save some time the next day, then had little snacks in Hassan and then left to Belur
Route Followed:
Basaveshwaranagar; Magadi; Kunigal; Channarayanna Patna; Hassan; Belur.

It was a total of 250 kms and we reached Belur at 7 pm. There we stayed in KSTDC's Mayura Hotel. Then i take out my camera and start clicking photos,
SNAP No memory card!!
le me.JPG Got a nice blast from My Dad and Mom,(myself included). What next? went in search for the shops which sells memory cards, to the utter dismay all had mobile storage memory cards, so i asked one fellow where they sell camera Memory cards, then he told that one person sells near the temple, as our hotel was in the temple road itself took a brisk walk in the drizzling shower and reached that store, Alas! the store was closed, muttered and thought to try in the morning. Then had dinner and all of us slept as we had to continue our journey early in the morning[sleep].

Day 2:
Woke up at 7, realized it was late already but we looked at each other's face and planned to leave a little late.After finishing our Morning Chores, I drove to that Shop again at 7.30. Hurray It was open! Then got Sony 4GB card for 450/- and then i took a U-Turn towards Horanadu,
Sister: We wont visit the World Famous Channakeshwara Temple when we come to Belur?(Another voice telling the same sentence: Mom)
Screech!
Dad: Why not visit the Temple?
Me: You told it would make the journey late.
Dad: No problem, take your Camera we'll go.
Alto: U-Turn?.
Me: Yes Dear.

Then we had great time and busy taking photos(yawn will post the DAY 2 review tomorrow, Enjoy these photos:

Attachments

Hi Vishwas,
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed troll snaps and its very apt here. Waiting for rest of travelogues. I was there during last year, but was much crowded.

Nice pics buddy! Do post some pics of your ride too!! Its been a while since I visited these places. Planning a trip soon. I shall contact you for any info [:D]

Thread Starter #4
Hi Vishwas,
Thanks for sharing, I really enjoyed troll snaps and its very apt here. Waiting for rest of travelogues. I was there during last year, but was much crowded.
More to come, These places gets crowded in summer(April-June) and (October-December) as many places are temples.

Nice pics buddy! Do post some pics of your ride too!!
Thanks, will post them soon!

Its been a while since I visited these places. Planning a trip soon. I shall contact you for any info [:D]
Anytime![:)]

350Z

Core Team
Great photographs. I really admire the incredible ancient architecture artists that we used to have in India. Surely unique and one of its kind anywhere in the world.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
Continued from DAY 2:

We had our breakfast in a small restaurant in Belur and then started towards Horanadu at 9:00 AM.

Route Followed:
Belur; Kottigehara; Kalasa; Horanadu.

Distance- 100kms
Time- 2 and half hours.

Road to Horanadu:
Slide27.JPG

The Drizzling gave work to the wipers.
Slide28.JPG

Slide29.JPG

Slide30.JPG

Slide31.JPG

Slide32.JPG

Slide33.JPG

This is Kottigehara, we stopped here for refuel and a nice coffee.the road to the right goes to Horanadu and Sringeri
Slide34.JPG

The bridge to Horanadu.
Slide35.JPG

Slide36.JPG

Slide37.JPG
We reached the place round 12.
Horanadu is a small town with big Annapoorneshwari Temple, the best temple one can see and a must if you visit Horanadu. This temple offers free meals for everyone, so we gave a little rice, Cereals etc.. as a little contribution to make meals. And then we had our lunch in the Temple itself.

Slide38.JPG

Slide39.JPG

Slide40.JPG

The K.K.B Bus service, who is in service for more than 20 years and covers most of the routes in and around the region.
Slide41.JPG

At 2 PM we left for Sringeri as the part of our next destination.

Route Followed:
Horanadu; Basarikatte; Sringeri.

After Horanadu, when you come across the bridge, you will see a road going to the left which shows the way to Sringeri, you can directly take that road instead of going to Kalasa which saves 15kms.

Total distanc 66kms.
Road Conditon: Pretty bad at some stretches, roads are narrow, but the traffic is less.

Slide42.JPG

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
awesome shots. i am contemplating a trip too, so hooked to your post. waiting for the remaining photos.
This is the best time to visit Malnad if you like rains + the places won't be much crowded for this season because it rains heavily.

Nice pic's Vishwas. Please share more photos.

Also share the mileage you achieved.
Yes for sure, Mileage around 15 to 16 as many places where Ghats.

Great photographs. I really admire the incredible ancient architecture artists that we used to have in India. Surely unique and one of its kind anywhere in the world.
Drive Safe,
350Z
Very true, should appreciate the people who carved those structures.

Wonderful pic's buddy please do post some more picture's
Sure buddy, please give me some time i have to re size the image and then upload.

Continued from DAY 2

At 5PM we reached Sringeri, yes it took 3 long hours to travel 66 kms as the roads were in bad condition and i didn't exceed 40kmph for the roads were curvy.

There we landed in a hotel and then at 6 PM near temple and we planned to visit Sirimane Falls. Thanks to Varun, his travelogue told Sirimane falls was good.
So started off and rushed to the falls as it was getting dark. It's a 10km drive from Sringeri.

Route Followed:
Sringeri Bus Stand; Kigga; Sirimane Falls.

When you reach Sringeri Bus Stand take a left after 1/2 km you will see a small arch towards Kigga take that route to reach the falls.

We reached the Falls at 6:20 pm and a Taxi Walla said its closed. [frustration]
However, we went further and saw the falls:
Slide50.JPG

Slide51.JPG
As many people left the place we had nice time
Slide52.JPG

Slide53.JPG

Slide54.JPG

While returning we came through this silent Village Kigga
Slide55.JPG

Slide56.JPG

Then we came back to Sringeri at 7 pm and gave a visit to Sharada Temple, it was already 8 pm, so here too like Horanadu they provided us free Dinner, we had and then Phew slept for the day.

Thread Starter #11
DAY 3:

In the Morning at 8 PM we left for Chickamagaluru.

Route Followed:
Sringeri; Balehonnuru; Jayapura; Chickamagaluru.
Distance: 100kms

We stopped at Balehonnuru for breakfast in a small hotel:
Slide58.JPG

After Breakfast we Gave a visit to RambhaPuri Mutt which is 5 kms away from Balehonnuru.

Slide59.JPG

Slide60.JPG

This is how your wheels could look when you drive in Malnadu:
Slide61.JPG

at 9.30 PM we left the Mutt and continued our journey.
Slide62.JPG

Slide63.JPG

Slide64.JPG

Slide65.JPG

Slide66.JPG

Slide67.JPG

At 12:30 PM we reached Chickamagaluru and had our Lunch.

At 1 PM we planned to Visit the Karnataka's Highest peak, the Mullayingiri Hills. It's just 15kms away from Chickmagaluru.

The foot of the hills:
Slide68.JPG

Slowly Climbed the hills and parked my car here:
Slide69.JPG

More shots:
Slide70.JPG

Slide71.JPG

Slide72.JPG

Slide73.JPG

Slide74.JPG

Attachments

Thread Starter #12
More Photos:
Slide76.JPG

Slide77.JPG

Slide78.JPG

Slide79.JPG

Slide80.JPG

Slide81.JPG

Slide82.JPG

Slide83.JPG

Slide85.JPG

Slide86.JPG

Slide87.JPG

Slide88.JPG

Slide89.JPG

Slide90.JPG

Slide91.JPG

Slide92.JPG

Slide93.JPG

Slide94.JPG

Slide96.JPG

Slide98.JPG

Slide99.JPG

Slide100.JPG

Slide101.JPG

Slide102.JPG

Slide103.JPG

It was the best place i have ever visited and the crowd was not too much being Saturday

Route Followed: Chickamagalur; Mullayangiri.
It comes in while you go to Kemmannagundi hills.

Thread Starter #13
Final shots:
Slide104.JPG

Slide105.JPG

The roads were too small and a fool made a mistake by coming in the wrong side of the road and jammed the whole road for 10 minutes then finally we returned
Slide107.JPG

We came down to Chickmagalur and then we returned home as dad got some important call.

Route Followed:
Chickmagalur; Belur; Hassan; Channarayannapatna; Kunigal; Magadi; Bangalore.

Total distance 300 kms.
The road was the same as before and this time it rained heavily, so we drove carefully and reached home safe and sound.

Top Bottom