Driving Sonata: Manassas (VA) to Minneapolis (MN) 1100 miles (1770 kms)

Thread Starter #1
So this is the consolidated travelogue for my 2 and 3 trip is US. I liked both these trips and loved driving. Since I was driving my 07 Sonata SE V6 this time (known as Sonata Transform back in India).

Trip 2: Manassas (Virginia) to Minneapolis (Minnesota)

Total Distance: 1100 miles (1770 kms)
Vehicle: 2007 Hyundai Sonata
Total Time: 18 Hours
Total Fuel: $160 (INR 7680) – Dollar was around 48 at that time

I did this trip back in April 2011 and I did this trip because I got my first job and had to join on 11 April 2011. Since it was not possible to take my entire luggage if I took a flight and then would have to pay shipping for my car to get it shipped to Minneapolis. So I decided to drive. I left from Manassas on 8 April around 7 Pm. Before leaving for this road trip I got my car serviced and replaced both my rear tires, since they were low on thread.

I thought of leaving early but I had to complete few formalities with my employer and also the Hyundai Dealer said that he can give my car back by 5 PM as I left it for servicing. So I Left Manassas at around 7 PM.
The weather was really nice throughout the day but at around 6 PM it started raining like hell and was pretty bad. First I thought that of postponing my trip to the next day but then i checked the weather channel and it showed that we had rain for 2 days. So I just put all my stuff in my car and left by 7 PM. The roads were really good as I had to drive on interstate highways only. But since it was raining and some places it was badly raining due to which I had to drive slow. But after 2 hours or so the rain stopped and I was happy since I didn’t had to drive slow and after driving for 6 hours I reached Akron (Ohio) around 1:00 AM and covered 340 miles (547 kms). I took my first break at Akron, washed my face with cold water had a coffee with some light snacks and filled my tank. Didn’t wanted to eat a lot as it would have made me feel drowsy.

After a short 20 min break I was again on the highway and my next stop was Chicago (IL) which was approximately 370 miles (600 Kms). And again the torture started as soon as I left and it started raining. But this time it was only for the first 30 minutes or so. And after that I set my speed at 85 mph (136 km/ph) and put my car on Cruise and called my brother in India and had a 2 hour conversation so that I don’t fell asleep. But I had to face a lot of trucks and that to big ones. And sometimes it was so irritating because they are so big and when they try to take over each other you can’t do anything except drive behind them and wait for your turn. So within 5.5 hours I was in Chicago around 7 AM and had covered another 370 miles (600 Kms).

I took a 30-40 minute break and also gave a rest to my car. Meanwhile I had my breakfast at Mcd, filled my tank, checked all the fluids and air. Everything was fine and by 8:00 AM I was again back on the highway and my next and final stop was Minneapolis. As soon as I left Chicago I had to cross almost 10-12 tollbooths and this was a real pain. Though the charge was like 80 cents, 60 cents. I mean not even 1 dollar. I went crazy thinking why the hell they have so many tollbooths instead of one. But I was enjoying the drive and the roads. It was like 4 lanes on each side and the minimum speed limit was 45 mph (72 km/ph) and I was cruzing at 85 mph (136 km/ph). And after driving for 7 hours I reached Minneapolis by 3 PM and had covered the last 408 miles (657 kms).

Overall the trip went very good despite of few rain showers and those irritating toll booths after Chicago. But I reached safely without a scratch on my car. Amazing roads and views. And after reaching Minneapolis I slept for almost 10 hours straight.

I don't have much pics for the trip as i was alone and i have already posted few pics on my ownership thread. Below is the link for those pictures. Meanwhile i will try to see if i can find more pictures.

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...nata-transform-u-s-spec-ownership-review.html

350Z

Core Team
Nice and precise write up. Some of the roads out there seems like a dream. Please consider sharing a few snaps (if available). :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Singh, how was it like driving Sonata in USA? IMO it is underpowered in USA when compare to other cars :(. I drove it in Boston, and felt it is cramped and underpowered in their roads. Still it is a great car here in India.

That was a very good drive buddy. Nice write up, enjoyed reading! Give us more so, on your other trips during the last one year.

Thread Starter #9
Singh, how was it like driving Sonata in USA? IMO it is underpowered in USA when compare to other cars :(. I drove it in Boston, and felt it is cramped and underpowered in their roads. Still it is a great car here in India.
Thanks Buddy and talking about the power, Sonata that i owned was a V6 with 3.3L engine with 235HP. I guess you talking about the 4 cylinder one and it is really underpowered.

That was a very good drive buddy. Nice write up, enjoyed reading! Give us more so, on your other trips during the last one year.
Thanks Buddy, Below is a link for my first trip in US
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...tsburg-kansas-manassas-virginia-1932-kms.html

Hope you like it[:)]

Top Bottom