Ranganthittu - Kokkrebellur (Bird Sanctuary)

Thread Starter #1
My Punto was just about to complete 2000 kms, my parents wanted take a holy dip in river Cauvery in auspicious month of Magha and birds in Ranganthtitu were calling me to come and capture their beauties. This was a perfect plot to plan trip to Ranagathittu located 125 kms from Blore. As usual plan was to leave early but ended up starting @ 6:45 am on Feb-19.Previous day I rented 100-400 lens from Tapprs.com. I was very excited as I was using the ‘L’ lens for the first time. The traffic was heavy on Mysore road with usual weekend crowd of cars and lorries. Some how Mysore road is getting crowded and since it passes through the crowded city area of Bidadi ,Ramnagar, Chennapattana, Maddur, Mandya & Srirangapattana. None of them have by-pass roads. This will pose serious problems in future with NICE road hitting some serious road Blocks.
Managed to reach Srirangapattana by 8:40 after driving non-stop. Dropped my parents near River banks and heade straight towards Ranganthittu. Normally opens by 8:30. Morning time is best time for Bird photography. For several reasons. The mood will be fresh, best lighting, less crowd only serious bird watchers and photographers can be found. When we reached boating area only 2 familes had boarded the boat and was ready to start. There were so many birds in trees, it was looking like a tree full of fruits. Immediately opened my lens barrel and started shooting without wasting any tim. The lens is very heavy to hold it on hand for a long time(1.4kg). Birds fying all over the place, crocs sailing smoothly, some of them lazily resting on Rocks. After completing boat ride, we went around the place looking for some birds on trees near by. At 10:30 my parents had finished their bath and started calling us as it was our turn to take a dip and head towards Rangnatha temple. The river is not all clean there and too many people are spoiling the place nobody is taking care about cleanliness of the place. The temple was crowded with long que. It was 12:30pm when we came out of temple. The sun was beating down and was very hot.

From there the plan was to head towards Kokkarebellu another paradise for Bird wathcing and Photography.Its a small village after a deviation just before Maddur if you are coming from Bangalore. It is just 12kms from Mysore road.
The people in the village are very co-operaitive and take care of Birds very well as their own family members. In fact they have a rehad center for birds which are not doing well or which have fallen down from nest. The approach is good and is being widened. It was 3:30 in the noon when we reached there after lunch at the Adigas. The outside temp was 37 deg. So I could only manage to walk around the village and take pictures for 30 mins. I had to return the lens by 6:30. Hence started back by 4:00 and reached home by 6:00pm. Here is my travel summary:

Distance covered:280 kms
Average milage : 18.8kmpl with 100% AC
Peaople : 5+ 1 kid

Here are some pics from trip:

20120218-IMG_5335.jpg
20120218-IMG_5349-2.jpg
20120218-IMG_5404.jpg
IMG_5414.jpg
IMG_5450.jpg
IMG_5459.jpg
IMG_5464.jpg
IMG_5476.jpg
IMG_5490.jpg
IMG_5504.jpg
IMG_5518.jpg
IMG_5518.jpg
IMG_5541.jpg
IMG_5642.jpg
IMG_5704.jpg
IMG_5822.jpg
IMG_5822.jpg

Re: Ranganthittu-Mullayangiri

@Suresh: Superb pics , Kudos to your SLR skills.

I am on a way to procure a good SLR camera.

Will surely consult you and Amit.

Re: Ranganthittu - Mullayangiri

Those was nice set of snaps you captured,and the 7th pic with the bird and croc(sneaking near the bird) was a nice catch, share more photos if you have.

Thread Starter #5

@ Vishwas : Yes!! actually as the croc was approaching the rock slowly the bird started to back-off......[:)]

Beautifull snaps. What DSLR do you use? My bad, they don't have lenses for Sony Full Frame DSLRs! Next time, when you plan a trip, do invite me too.

Drive Safe!

Top Bottom