Saved..

Thread Starter #1
On sunday (1st Nov 2009), been to Aale Phata via Malshej Ghat for marriage of my frnd. Malshej route was considered to be risky for night travel since it is very curvy and also it passes through dense forest. But now a days since we hardly come across car robberies, I opted that route while on return journey towards Mumbai too. We started from Aale Phata at 8pm, had dinner at 8.30 and we cruising towards Mumbai at liesurely pace of 80-100kmph enjoying soft music on traffic-free road with lots and lots of curves and also chatting with close school pal who was accompanying me in My Optra Magnum. We crossed Malshej Ghat at 9.30 and were nearing Murbad at about 10pm. Some section of road was broken towards left so I was driving from right side of the road since there wasn't any on coming traffic at all. While I was busy talking and driving from right side, suddenly at one place I saw that left half part of road was covered with 8-10 bamboos well-arranged to create a mishap. I realised how dangerous it can be for 2 wheelers and 4 wheelers. The moment car goes over it there would be high probability of car going out of control and meeting an accident giving a chance for thieves who must be hiding in forest to rob the passengers for valuables.

I was saved since I was driving from right side of the road. Thank God..

Just felt like sharing this with you all so that you too can be cautious while night driving in such areas.

Arun

Suspended
Your presence of mind saved you. This is indeed a lesson for all of us. Now I understand why Dad would drive on the wrong side of the road deliberately on National Highways.

napster

Suspended
thank god, i have a habit of going out in the night (sneakouts). never experienced any such situation here in hyderabad bad..but my friend who accompanies me most of the time , was returning from his village (tandur) which is around 90kms away from hyderabad, and on his way he noticed drums and rocks on the road, he suspected something was wrong and he went back to his native and started the next day in the morning..few days later when i we met his uncle from his native he said that robberies were happening in that root and its good luck that my pal went back that day else even my friend would have been a victim.
robberers stop the car, destroy the car and take everything they get from the travellers and if the traveller refuses they dont step back, they just kill them..looking at these cases, police out here placed a check point and a patroling team to keep an eye.

Arun

Suspended
thank god, i have a habit of going out in the night (sneakouts). never experienced any such situation here in hyderabad bad..but my friend who accompanies me most of the time , was returning from his village (tandur) which is around 90kms away from hyderabad, and on his way he noticed drums and rocks on the road, he suspected something was wrong and he went back to his native and started the next day in the morning..few days later when i we met his uncle from his native he said that robberies were happening in that root and its good luck that my pal went back that day else even my friend would have been a victim.
robberers stop the car, destroy the car and take everything they get from the travellers and if the traveller refuses they dont step back, they just kill them..looking at these cases, police out here placed a check point and a patroling team to keep an eye.
A similiar case would occur at Bandra[Mumbai]. People would stop your car, telling a a tyre is losing air or something and would flee with cash etc.

This is completely new for me. Thanks torque.addict and napster for the alert. One should be more careful when driving during night time.

Last edited:
Oh! This is new for me as well. Thank you torque.addict for sharing and thanks to god that you and your friend is absolutely fine.

lucky !

Yeah here in ecr roads too it happens , for past 2 years it has come down!

Simple , they throw stones in car , you'll fear and stop and inspect your car and there you go looted , some time even the car , some time even till your brief

Ha ha good one Ilango,

But its drastically reduced now a days!

Now the intruders have came into the city itself!

My friend said me this, in a street near by his house, a Getz was parked outside during night just like many cars in Chennai do. By morning the owner was shocked to see his car standing on stones on all four sides[shock]

My friend said me this, in a street near by his house, a Getz was parked outside during night just like many cars in Chennai do. By morning the owner was shocked to see his car standing on stones on all four sides[shock]

well, there are places in our country to letthat things happen.We have encountered once on highway during navratri festival, where all venues are on highways and you dont get a place to park nearby there, so people lineup vehicles on highways till few kms, and once my car was just saved by few people who were ahead of me for their car and saw few men, holding spammers to open tyre nuts, my car was left, but adjoining car didnt had any tyres , was on stones and a jack.
Same way some places on highways arent safe for highway run as well, which is why while travelling we ensure if its not urgent, we dont travel after 11 pm.

My place is safe as far as waylaying is concerned. We travel latenights sometimes after 12am. Major reason for that our company being 60km from Nagpur city. The highway is busy and highway police patrolling keeps moving to and fro. Thanks to numerous accidents.

Thread Starter #15
can ever night driving on indian highways be considered safe at all?
I travel soo much and time is never a barrier. All the roads around Mumbai like Mum-Pune, Mum-Nasik, Mum-Ahmedabad-Delhi & Mumbai-Goa are safe for night travel. Been traveling on these roads since years. Mumbai-Ale Phata road via Malshej seems to be an exception though.

Top Bottom