Kolkata To Mumbai Road Trip

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am back again..[:)]

Planning for a drive from Kolkata to Mumbai and back and i have a week for the total trip and i am doing some homework on that.

Any first hand information from anybody who has driven through this path recently is welcome to advice me.

NH 6 and the NH 3 would be the normal route from Kolkata to Mumbai through Kharagpur, Baharagora, Keonjhar, Sambalpur, Raipur, Raj Nandgaon, Nagpur, Amaravati, Jalgaon, Dhule, Nashik, the 2 planned night halts mentioned in bold.
But my recent experience through Baharagora was horrible(mentioned in my last travelogue i.e. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ata-travelouge-will-remember-all-my-life.html ) and i am very very apprehensive to go by that route. Alternate route might be NH6, then catching NH60 from Kharagpur and then NH5 and take NH 42 from Cuttack and get back to NH 6 from Sambalpur. It would be around 150 kms extra but better roads i guess.. Basically want to avoid Lodhasuli-Baharagora-Jamsola stretch. Road conditions from Sambalpur onwards would be average i guess..

So please do let me know if anybody has any information on the route..

350Z

Core Team
I think none of us here have an idea about it but what I’m sure is that another interesting travelogue is on the way soon. All the best for this road trip. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

So your Manza is really going places! All the best for your trip. As 350Z mentioned I don't have any Idea about the route till Nagpur. From Nagpur to Mumbai there should not be any sort of Problem.

Thread Starter #4
@350Z : Yes man, hope to have one more thrilling journey [:)].

@drivetech4 : Yes, I hope manza would rock once again [:)].

From Nagpur roads are okay as far as i know with bad roads in between, but i am a bit apprehensive about Sambalpur, raipur, bhilai. Am pretty sure of avoiding that baharagora-jamsola-kendujhar stretch also the Sambalpur-kendujhar stretch is also in a very bad condition, but lets see. Also heard that there is big racket of extorting money from private vehicles in bengal-orissa border, if i take a detour through NH60-NH5-NH42. They generally extract Rs 800-Rs 1200 as toll charge which is utter nonsense and day light robbery.

I have a month's time before i travel so need to do a lot of homework..

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
HI Guys,

There are some modifications in the route.
The new route somewhat looks like this now..
A lot of homework is being done and is in progress.

Trip.jpg

Will update with more details later.

Hi You can also check a route upto Hyderabad / Vizag and then onwards to Pune and Mumbai.

Somewhere I had read it will be 300 km more than NH 6 all along but the roads are almost near perfection

Hi Anish,
Good to see the modified Route. It would be great if Fellow TAI-ians enroute can catch up with you . Most welcome to Delhi NCR. Do let me know your plans for delhi.

Thread Starter #10
@chandranath : Yes, actually earlier planned to drive through the full GQ, but have time constraints and moreover roads in NH 6 have been renovated or some in progress.

@carabiker : Surely it would be great if we could meet up. I will definitely let you know once the dates and the plan is finalized. It would be this year mid December.

Thread Starter #11
@chandranath : I guess you have just recently driven past NH 60/NH 5 if i am not mistaken. Did you face any issues in the toll amount in OR-WB border either way? How are the signboards in the route? Are the bypasses for Daharpur, Deuli, datan, Jaleswar, Balasore, Bhadrak explicitly mentioned? Thanks for your co-operation.

@chandranath : I guess you have just recently driven past NH 60/NH 5 if i am not mistaken. Did you face any issues in the toll amount in OR-WB border either way? How are the signboards in the route? Are the bypasses for Daharpur, Deuli, datan, Jaleswar, Balasore, Bhadrak explicitly mentioned? Thanks for your co-operation.
I was equally apprehensive as you were before the journey on Orissa / Bengal border. But such practise probably has been stopped for some time now. AND I ALSO DID NOT FACE ANY ISSUE ON THIS EXCEPT FOR RS 40/ TOLL CHARGE.

The roads and Bypasses are explicitly marked. The only problem you might face is when leaving NH 6 and entering NH 60. You will find a flyover starting from the left of the road and crossing the road to follow up to the right. The sign to the left (i.e the flyover route will show Mumbai, Kharagpur). Do NOT take that. Follow straight on under the flyover and you will in a space of 100mtrs will find a concrete road starting. That leads to Dantan, Jaleshwar and Balasore,

Thread Starter #13
I was equally apprehensive as you were before the journey on Orissa / Bengal border. But such practise probably has been stopped for some time now. AND I ALSO DID NOT FACE ANY ISSUE ON THIS EXCEPT FOR RS 40/ TOLL CHARGE.

The roads and Bypasses are explicitly marked. The only problem you might face is when leaving NH 6 and entering NH 60. You will find a flyover starting from the left of the road and crossing the road to follow up to the right. The sign to the left (i.e the flyover route will show Mumbai, Kharagpur). Do NOT take that. Follow straight on under the flyover and you will in a space of 100mtrs will find a concrete road starting. That leads to Dantan, Jaleshwar and Balasore,
Thanks buddy. Yes, i am aware of the Kharagpur bypass, couple of months back i went to Jamshedpur where i took the 1st left exit which continued on NH 6, this time i will be going under the 1st exit and go left into NH 60, please correct me if i am mistaken. Once i drive below the flyover are there any more diversions or exits other than the exit to NH 60?

Thanks buddy. Yes, i am aware of the Kharagpur bypass, couple of months back i went to Jamshedpur where i took the 1st left exit which continued on NH 6, this time i will be going under the 1st exit and go left into NH 60, please correct me if i am mistaken. Once i drive below the flyover are there any more diversions or exits other than the exit to NH 60?
Yes dont take the flyover which will be starting to your left. Just go under the flyover and stick to the left. In 100 / 200 mtrs from thr the normal tarmac will be replaced by concrete road and you will find a Balasore signboard. The road from thr is self explanatory. By default you will be bypassing all towns and villages. Dont need to turn anywhere

Top Bottom