Munnar in Duster...

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

This is my first travelogue so please excuse the mistakes.

Wanted to drive down to GOA since I bought Duster last year, finally in the month of Jan’18 decided that I should make it in the month of Feb’18 & was looking for accommodations at GOA about to finalize the accommodation then a wild thought came in my mind why not “MUNNAR”. Then a quick discussion with my better half and son they were in agreement and were super exited as my wife also like the nature’s beauty and landscaping.

Well visiting Munnar was a long pending destination in my list. Finally the decision was made dates were freezed 10th Feb to 13th Feb. Now the planning begins with accommodation there are too many accommodation options available in MUNNAR well we settled down for “KTDC TEA COUNTY” more about the resort in the later part. One big task was completed finalizing accommodation now the real challenge was which route to take to MUNNAR. Read lots of blogs about the MUNNAR road condition spent lot of time online to get the maximum input on the road and distance etc.

Finally shortlisted the below two routes.

Route 1. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishangiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem-> Karur -> Dindigul -> Theni- > Bodinayakannur -> Bodimedu -> Poopara -> Munnar

Route 2. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishangiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem-> Erode -> Udumalaipettai -> Marayoor -> Munnar

After lot of research and discussion with friends finalized the route 1.

Day 1:- To MUNNAR

Finally the day has come we started at 5:30am on Saturday 10th Feb 2018 from Whitefield. Wanted to cross Attibelle and Krishnagiri Toll ASAP before the weekend traffic start piling up. Vola we have crossed the Krishnagiri toll by 7am and there after it is well known highway. This time we decided to stop at Sai Sangeeth for breakfast this falls between Bangalore to Salem route after Dharmapuri on the right side. To reach the restaurant you have to go little ahead and take a U turn and come back. We reached there by 7:49 am the breakfast was very good. After breakfast we started at 8:30am wanted to stop at Venu’s Biriyani at Dindigul for Lunch but it was too early to have lunch when we reached Dindigul hence decided to skip this and continued the drive. We wanted have some veg meals for lunch in Theni but for our bad luck did not find any good restaurant and continued the journey. Well we started cruising on the ghat and it was good until we see a board ROAD UNDER CONSTRUCTION AND TAKE DIVERSION adding to our dismay there was no network google map was not responding and we had to depend on the sign board which were put up and we followed and reached the route which was very steep and big boulders and pot holes with steep curves this continued for about 30 to 45mins my wife and son were little nervous as the roads were isolated and there was no one to ask the direction. I had to drive only in 1st and 2nd gear thanks to Duster and its ground clearance it cleared all the hurdles with ease and we merge back to NH 85 finally a sigh of relief on our face and then we slowly proceeded toward the Munnar town and finally ready our destination TEA COUNTY resort by 3:45PM and unloaded the luggage I proceeded to park my car and in the meantime my wife completed the check in formalities. We were very hungry and ordered lunch at the resort the food was very expensive here but who cares when you are hungry and tired, we had food it was very tasty and crashed in bed for some time. We got up at 6pm and freshened up and explored the resort and walked out to a nearby restaurant to have some tea/coffee and evening snacks. There are lots of restaurants within 500m to 700m distance from resort as it is in the heart of city.

Tea County resort was very good comfortable and scenic. I had booked premium room which had complete privacy and a large room with balcony facing mountains.
Since we had late lunch we were not hungry and settled with cup noodles which we carried from Bangalore and retired for the day.

Day 2:- To MUNNAR

We got up at 7am and after breakfast we decided to go out and enjoy Munnar. Initially I wanted to hire a cab and go around Munnar but decided against it and took my White Panda (Duster) Munnar has tourist places in two direction one is on the Mattupetty road and other one is on the Coimbatore road. We chose to go on Mattupetty –

Top station road as the most of the tourist attractions are located close to our resort.

Floriculture garden 03 KM
Photo Point 04 KM
Madupatty Tea Factory 9.6 KM
Mattupetty Dam 12 KM
Film shooting Point 13 KM
Elephant Park 14 KM
Botanical Garden 15 KM

The Mattupetty dam road was jam-packed with tourist vehicles being Sunday lot of crowd and crossing Mattupetty Bridge was very difficult. Hence we dropped Top station from the list and proceeded back towards resort as we want to enjoy the trip not to stress by visiting too many places.
We had lunch in nearby restaurant and relaxed the rest of the day at resort by playing TT and Billiards with my wife and Son.

Day 3:- To MUNNAR

This is again a leisure day and just wanted to drive around the city and enjoy the beauty and do some shopping and relax because next we have to head back to Bangalore. We kept all our bags packed and kept ready as we want to leave immediately after breakfast and see some places on the way back.

Day 4:- To MUNNAR

Time has come to say good bye to Munnar we got up early and finished our breakfast the check out formalities by 9am and ready to go. This time we have decided to take the other route 2

Route 2. Bangalore -> Hosur -> Krishangiri -> Dharmapuri -> Salem-> Erode -> Udumalaipettai -> Marayoor -> Munnar

We wanted to visit Eravikulam National Park but it was closed until March due to breeding season. Then we headed toward chinar forest and saw one beautiful Tea estate and stopped to take few clicks and continued our journey. This route is good but the roads are very narrow until the exit gate of chinar forest and too many curves. Well the traffic was low. We reached Hotel Anandha Bhavan Erode at 1:20 Pm and had our Lunch it was veg meals good tasty meals we had and started our journey. Again I stopped at Sai Sangeeth for a tea break at 4pm and reach home (whitefiled) at 7pm.

Thank you and keep Driving....

Now lets Pics do some talking.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Short and Sweet travelogue. I am also planning to do Munnar in next month. Regarding road status your travelogue will come handy.

playing TT and Billiards with my wife and Son.
Such small things makes any trip more memorable for life time.

Excellent Travelogue. Short and crisp.

Can I request you to share how much it costed for the room in Munnar? Also what is the best time to visit Munnar?

Thread Starter #4
Excellent Travelogue. Short and crisp.

Can I request you to share how much it costed for the room in Munnar? Also what is the best time to visit Munnar?
It costed around 18,500 for 3 nights, booked via make my trip.
Munnar you can visit through out the year. Except Jun & Aug this is monsoon season
and you won't be able to see the places.

Top Bottom