Naukuchiatal: Our Home Away From Home

Thread Starter #1
Naukuchiatal – Our home away from home

Allow me to say right away that this is not a travelogue. There are no well-planned itineraries, route charts, time/distance logs and so on. It is simply a collection of memories over the years – starting from ‘97 and still ongoing – all centering around Naukuchiatal and our visits there and places nearby. It is also about the joy and fun we have received from our pets – our boxers Darth, Daisy and later Kluso and Pearl – who have accompanied us often in our travels. Pearl, by the way, is that comparative rarity, a white boxer or checkered boxer, as they are called in the parlance. So if we have let slip a few photographs of our extended canine family – nothing to do with our travels – then we crave your indulgence! Put it down to that blind spot all parents have towards the family. You may notice that both of them have calluses around the elbows & the knees. We worried about this in the early years of pet ownership – till the vets put our minds at rest. Callous formation with the passing of years is quite normal & nothing to worry about. Some of the photos are from the early days of digital photography – the Sony Cybershot of the era was equipped with a floppy disc having 1.44MB storage! I used it for quite a while. So the photos are often of regrettable quality, apart from the fact that I’m just a point & shoot shutterbug, without serious aspirations! Therefore, to the really talented photographers on the forum (and there are several whose work I admire) I offer my apologies in advance.

I suspect that, like me, most other members here are car addicts for whom the journey itself - the drive - is the thing, and not so much the destination. But for us, Naukuchiatal is the exception that makes the rule! It is the one destination to which we always look forward to with anticipation - impatient for the drive to end. Also, we have never had a chauffeur, preferring to do our own driving at all times. And, after one major shunt on the Sitapur road outside Lucknow in 2012, we no longer drive after dark. My eyesight is not 6X6 now – I am 65 – and I happily accept that prudence is the better part of valour! So now we stick to dawn-to-dusk driving during our travels.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: Naukuchiatal - Our home away from home

Naukuchiatal - Our home.......(Cont.)

Traveling with an extended family

Traveling with pets in India is still not a recommended pastime. For a very good reason – even today there are very, very few establishments that are pet friendly. I have spent a night in Panjim, Goa, sleeping in the car – it was a Tata Sierra then – with Darth (Daisy hadn’t arrived on the scene yet), while my wife, daughter and her classmate slept on hotel beds! And this was not an isolated incident. Our stopovers at Bodhgaya, on the way to Kolkata, is still an awful memory! Till we discovered that pet lover’s Holy Grail – the Circuit House/Dak Bungalow/ PWD Rest House and other establishments that dot our highways in satisfying numbers! There one usually found that after a minor consideration – of say a couple of hundred rupees, more nowadays I’m sure – the watchman/chowkidar was more than happy to let you and your pets stay the night. And in a pinch he would also prepare dinner for the family! There have been times when, after an exhausting day’s drive, we have wolfed down thick bajra rotis and hot arhar dal like Cordon Bleu! We normally carry pet food with us when traveling with them, so they have not suffered on the trips (At home though, my wife insists on preparing home cooked food for them). The one cardinal rule we never break is to give them plenty of water while traveling and stop every few hours for them to ease themselves. A bursting bladder is just as excruciating for them as for us!

More to follow....

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

KMVN – that haven for pet lovers

And this is where KMVN entered our lives. Kumaon Mandal Vikas Nigam is an openly pet friendly organization (the only one we have found, apart from the hotel Raj Darshan in Madikeri during our Nilgiris trips) and we have stayed and enjoyed their hospitality, and continue doing so, at Naukuchiatal, Almora, Ranikhet, Mukteshwar, Chaukori, Bhimtal, Kausani, Nainital(Tallital) and other spots in Kumaon.
Our journey usually begins by making a phone call to the Manager, Mr. Pandey or Tewariji, his assistant, at the KMVN TRH at Naukuchiatal. Over the years, the staff at the TRC (Tourist Recreation Centre / Hotel) has accepted us as regulars and usually waives prior reservations. They ask us only to intimate them a couple of days in advance of our arrival so they can ensure a vacancy. At 2100/- a day (in March 2014, inclusive of breakfast, hot/cold running water - a must in Kumaon’s freezing winters and, at places even coldish summers), wooden parquet flooring, and above all, that pet friendly staff - we find it to be a terrific bargain.
(Today, Feb’17, the rates start at 2250/day, in the off-season – still a steal I feel!)
And so, we are attaching photographs with captions hoping that they tell their own story.

Attachments

Thread Starter #4

Jim Corbett and the Corbett museum at Kaladunghi

One recurring theme in our travels to Uttaranchal has been Jim Corbett’s estate at Kaladunghi (now a museum dedicated to him). For many schoolboys growing up in the 50’s and 60’s (Allahabad, UP in my case), Jim Corbett was a name synonymous with the outdoors & adventure, with summer and winter vacations spent devouring his books and daydreaming – daydreams, where each of us was accompanying the intrepid Jim to Rudraprayag, Mukteshwar, Thak, Kaladunghi and the myriad other places in his beloved Kumaon, on his quest for the man-eating predators! Fortunately for both of us, my wife turned out to be as keen an admirer of Jim Corbett as I was.

And thus it became natural that in the course of our continuing love-affair with Uttaranchal, we should stop at Kaladunghi and pay homage to this extraordinary human being and naturalist. He was a nature conservationist long before the term became a fashionable topic for coffee-table discussion, and long before pug-mark characteristics became an invaluable tool for tiger census - notwithstanding the current obsession with radio-button tracking!

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
The joy of touring

For Naukuchiatal we usually start with the NH24 from Lucknow to Bareilly (via Sitapur and Shahjahanpur). From Bareilly to Haldwani we prefer the NH87 (via Baheri, Kiccha, Udham Singh Nagar and Lal Kuan) though there are two other routes from Bareilly - one via Rampur and Rudrapur and the other taking the old Pilibhit road (NH74) via Sitarganj.
(The newly inaugurated 4-lane expressway (with toll-booth) from Bareilly to Kiccha is an excellent stretch)

From Haldwani the climb into the Uttaranchal hills proper starts, and for me this is where I enter Magonia! Even though the distance from Haldwani/Kathgodam to Naukuchiatal is less than 30km, it takes you into another world. As we start climbing, everyone seems to come awake. Our canine family, (till now snoozing happily in the back), shake themselves, and push their heads out of the lowered windows on either side, their ears flapping in the suddenly cool breeze, their eyes half-closed in ecstasy! This continues for a while, till the rapidly falling temperature tells them to pull their heads back into the warmth of the car!
A little ahead of Ranibagh we take the Bhimtal-Bhowali road (right turn).
At Bhimtal we follow the road around the periphery of the lake and then take the right turn (the left continues on to Bhowali) on to the Naukuchiatal road. From here it is only a matter of 10 minutes or less till we arrive at journey’s end and pull up on the fore court of the KMVN TRH at Naukuchiatal, to be greeted by a smiling Tewariji.

Paradise revisited!

Attachments

Thread Starter #7
I vaguely seem to remember this place reading from an old edition of "52 weekend destinations from Delhi" of Outlook magazine or something. Nice destination, has a dreamy feel to it.

Dreamy about sums it up. If peace & tranquillity is the major requirement, then Naukuchiatal serves it in spades![:)]

HI, extremely impressed and thankful that you could gather all your thoughts and memories in this lovely write up and pictures. Memories matter not just the drive. And you have captured them beautifully.

I have been to Naukichiatal twice long back, but like the average tourist on both occasions I was just on a Nainital local sight seeing trip. However the second time when I had visited from Naninital I was on my way back from the trek to Pindari and onwards to Sunderdhungha Valley and Maiketoli. So Naukichiatal was not supposed to impress me from what I was coming back from. But even then I felt good being there. I was 20 years old then. Today at the wrong end of the 40s reading your memories has inspired me to undertake a walk down my own memories in Kumaon, in a more relaxed pace.

Will surely do God willing.

Thread Starter #9
HI, extremely impressed and thankful that you could gather all your thoughts and memories in this lovely write up and pictures. Memories matter not just the drive. And you have captured them beautifully.
I have been to Naukichiatal twice long back, but like the average tourist on both occasions I was just on a Nainital local sight seeing trip. However the second time when I had visited from Naninital I was on my way back from the trek to Pindari and onwards to Sunderdhungha Valley and Maiketoli. So Naukichiatal was not supposed to impress me from what I was coming back from. But even then I felt good being there. I was 20 years old then. Today at the wrong end of the 40s reading your memories has inspired me to undertake a walk down my own memories in Kumaon, in a more relaxed pace.
Will surely do God willing.
Hello Chandrakant,
It's always a pleasure to meet a kindred soul! And you've put it in a nutshell - it's the memories & not just the drive. I wish you all the best and God speed in your plans to re-visit Naukuchiatal. In my profession one gets to see a fair bit of the world - but we can say without hesitation that Naukuchiatal, with its incredible serenity & tranquillity (in the strife-torn world that we find ourselves in!) remains the premier destination for us.

Top Bottom