Fortuner's Day Out To Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Kanyakumari.

Thread Starter #1
Fortuner's Days Out to Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Kanyakumari.

This was our second interstate trip after the Kodaikanal Trip. Since it is interstate, decided to name days out series. So far three (1. Ooty, 2. Kodaikanal, 3. Kanyakumari) series including this Travelogue. This trip happened in July, but posting only now due to the other travelogue was in preparation. One fine day morning, and towards end of weekend we thought why not make a quick visit to Kanyakumari. I visited this place back in my school days. So thought why not visit this place. We were hoping to visit this place during our last time attempt, where we could make only at Padmanapuram palace. We were hoping to cover both place in one day. But, we ran out of the time, and decided to visit Kanayakumari some other time. So this is the opportunity, and must visit this time. We scheduled the visit for two days, 22nd July(Friday) and 23rd July (Saturday). Overall schedule as follows.

Day1 :
10.00am Pathanamthitta
12.30pm Trivandrum, Nalanchira
2.30pm Amaravila- Lunch
3.45pm Kanyakumari

Day2 :
8.45am Vivekanda Rock
10.45am Local Shopping
11.30am Left Kanyakumari.
12.45pm Udaikulangara-Lunch
3.00pm Pathanamthitta

Video Coverage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAI8i0s1AhY&feature=youtube_gdata

Routes To and Return

go.jpg

return.jpg

DSC78.jpg

DSC86.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Fortuners Day Out to Vivekananda Rock Memorial, Kanyakumari.

The day was slight cloudy, hoping to have intermittent rain due to monsoon. We started around 10am on 22nd July 2016 (Friday), reached Trivandrum at 12.30pm. Then we moved to Amaravila and had lunch. Our vehicle is taking a small break with Audi Q7, in front of Citi Bakery.

20160722_142514.jpg

20160722_142516.jpg

Few photos while on the way to Kanyakumari.

DSC1.jpg

DSC2.jpg

DSC3.jpg

DSC7.jpg

DSC4.jpg

DSC5.jpg

DSC6.jpg

Thread Starter #3

We reached Kanyakumari around 3.45pm. While on the way we inquired different hotels, and booked Sea View hotel. We opted for sea facing room, which is little expensive even during off season. The deluxe room is having balcony, which is really awesome for the view of Vivekananda rock memorial, and Sunrise.

DSC8.jpg

DSC9.jpg

DSC11.jpg

DSC14.jpg

DSC15.jpg

DSC16.jpg

DSC17.jpg

DSC18.jpg

Thread Starter #4

We could not make out to watch the sun set. Instead, we did little local shopping and site seeing. It was fun to move around. We found this church near the shore beside the hotel.
At Kodaikanal, we get warm cooked chana masala. While at Kanyakumari, we get fresh hot Idli. We purchased little curios, and other gift items.
DSC19.jpg

DSC20.jpg

DSC21.jpg

DSC23.jpg

DSC24.jpg

DSC25.jpg

DSC26.jpg

DSC29.jpg

Thread Starter #5

On the way to St.Roch Church, there is an office, like traditional Kerala Style home. The road in front of the church goes further and further towards the sea. We spent some time there and returned to hotel.

DSC22.jpg

DSC34.jpg

DSC35.jpg

DSC37.jpg

DSC40.jpg

DSC43.jpg

DSC46.jpg

DSC48.jpg

DSC32.jpg

Nairrk

Honoured Member

Very nice and live pictures. Yes, it gives some feeling to recollect my old memories. I have seen these places few times, even before the Memorial was built and during the construction period (My college education was at Nagercoil and we used to visit Kanyakumari frequently as one of my friend was a native of Vivekanadapuram near Kanyakumari). These kind of crowd (with so many big hotels etc) was not there then.

Anyway, a must see place.!!

I have been to KK for some 3 times. Still haven't visited Vivekandar rock [frustration]

Will plan for a trip this year only to visit Vivekandar rock & Thiruvalluvar Statue [:)]

BTW, Excellent set of Pics. Like the night mode of pics of Vivekandar rock very much.

Thread Starter #12

The night view pictures of Vivekananda Rock Memorial are awesome. Beautiful
Thanks Chandranath. Night view to the Vivekananda Rock, with all lights turned on is awesome.

Anyway, a must see place.!!
Thanks Nairrk. Yes, definitely must see place.

Will plan for a trip this year only to visit Vivekandar rock & Thiruvalluvar Statue [:)]
Thanks Appu. The boat service to Thiruvalluvar Statue is temporarily stopped. They clarified that water level is not enough to operate the presently operating boats. They need a smaller version of the boat to operate the service.

I love that location
during my family trip, I stayed in Hotel Samudra
Thanks blackpearlvkd. I saw that Hotel Samudra, which is very near to Hotel Seaview. Second photo above is having the view of Hotel Samudra.

Thread Starter #13

We decided to get up early to view the Rising SUN. Night view to Vivekananda Rock, and Thiruvalluvar Statue is awesome.

We set alram to get up early. No need for alarm. People are very active on early morning hours. Fishermen starts their day early, as you can view from the below photo. Again, there is morning service at the Church, some fishermen attend the mass before they start their day. They operate the sound system little early, and one extension of their loudspeaker is facing our hotel room. I got up little early after hearing the morning prayer from the church.

The pathway towards the sea, and the side footpath are fully occupied by tourists to view the sun rise. We decided to stay at hotel, as we could have a clear view of the sky.

Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day, and we could not have a clear view of rising sun.

DSC95.jpg

DSC94.jpg

DSC98.jpg

DSC97.jpg

DSC96.jpg

DSC101.jpg

DSC100.jpg

Thread Starter #14

The Ferry Ticket Counter opens at 7.45am. We had breakfast, and reached the counter around 8.30am. The ticket counter is nearby, just 100 meters from the hotel. The queue was stretched outside the road when we reached there. The Ferry boat is big and can accommodate more than 100 on one trip. The Ferry Service costs 34 rs per person.

DSC90.jpg

DSC99.jpg

DSC102.jpg

DSC28.jpg

DSC106.jpg

DSC107.jpg

DSC105.jpg

Top Bottom