Exploring Goa in Tata Zest!!

Thread Starter #1
Mission: Bangalore-Goa-Amboli Ghat- Murudeshwara-Bangalore
DSC_001.JPG

Man and the Beast:
Arjun.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

The thought of travelling to Goa was in my mind from January, time work and all other factors kept pushing the plan.
Finally I was able to arrange it for September.
On the previous day to the trip: Washed the car, did a Full tank of diesel, Tyre pressure check, packed snacks, clothes and I am all set.
Number of traveler:2

Route and Road conditions: Started on Tuesday night around 10. Took the NICE road- from Bannerghatta road to Tumkur road- AH 47 till Hiriyur and then on to NH 48 till Hubbali. From Hubbali you have to take a left to Goa. The road passes through Bhagavan Mahaveer Sanctuary. The road till Chitradurga is simply superb. From Chitradurga to Davangere, there are many deviations and those useless humps in between.

We reached Bhagavan Mahaveer Sanctuary by 2 am. This is a very dense forest and is always best that you cross this forest during day. It took me 3 hours to cross this forest section. I also had to drive through 0 visibility fog for about 15 km. It was a very scary experience for me as the visibility was very low due to fog. There were very few vehicles in the road during that time.
Once you cross this forest you will hit the Panjim road that takes you to Goa.
We reached the hotel by 8 am.

Accommodation: Booked Hotel With OYO.
Hotel Name: Zinhos Beach Resort
Cost: 2300 per day is the charge. Was able to get it for 1100 per day when booked through a friend of me who works at OYO. The Hotel is situated very close to Baga Beach and is perfect for a awesome stay.
DSC_0061 (2).jpg
DSC_0064 (2).jpg
DSC_0062 (2).jpg

Fuel: Total spent on diesel: Rs 6384.
Total distance Traveled(Bangalore-Goa-Amboli Ghat-Goa- Murudeshwara-Bangalore): 2327 Km
Mileage: 21(overall trip)

Places visited
Day 1(Wednesday): Basilica of Bom Jesus
Located in Old Goa, the Basilica of Bom Jesus is a World Heritage Site. It was raised to the status of a minor Basilica in 1946 and is considered to be one of the best examples of Baroque architecture in Goa. The Basilica holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier in Goa.
A very peaceful location with lots of history sleeping inside.
DSC_0033.jpg
DSC_0038.jpg
DSC_0050.jpg
DSC_0080.jpg

Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
Visited this place by 2pm.
You have to take your car in a Ribandar ferry to this spot. They just charge 10rs to transport a car from one side to the other. On the western tip of the island of Chorao along River Mandovi, mangrove swamps cover this bird-watchers' paradise aptly named after India's best-known ornithologist. This is Goa's only bird sanctuary, 1.8 Sq Km in area. A variety of local and migratory birds can be found on this island.
The area consists of mangrove vegetation. Mangrove ecosystems are among the most productive ones known.
DSC.11.jpg
DSC.13.jpg
DSC.14.jpg
DSC.15.jpg
wp_ss_20160925_0005.jpg
wp_ss_20160925_0008.jpg
wp_ss_20160925_0009.jpg
DSC_0028.jpg

Day 2(Thursday): Amboli ghat
Started from the Hotel at 5 am and reached the spot by 7am.
Is situated 90 kms from Baga Beach.
The beautiful hill-station of Amboli is rightly called the 'queen' of Maharashtra;. Such is its natural splendour Famous among environmentalists as a precious ecological hotspot, it is cool, calm, serene and enriched with all the treasures that the world of flora and fauna can bestow upon it. Located in the princely state of Sawantwadi, Amboli is located on the ridge of the Western Ghats and is particularly majestic during the monsoon when impromptu waterfalls gush down the hilly terrain.
The entire region gets covered with a dense fog during several times a day. It is then that you can actually experience the power of silence and how nature makes it own music.
DSC_3744.jpg
DSC_3722.jpg
DSC_3719.jpg
DSC_3764.jpg
DSC_3774.jpg
DSC_9737.JPG
Road ahead in rain.jpg

Returned from Amboli ghat by 1pm headed straight to the hotel. Spent the evening time in Anjuna Beach. Nightlife in Goa can be best Experienced in Baga and Anjuna Beach.

Day 3(Friday): Fort Aguada
Started from Hotel by 9 am after breakfast that was provided by OYO.
Fort Aguada is just 20 minutes drive from Baga Beach. Standing on the headland overlooking the mouth of the Mandovi River, Fort Aguada occupies a magnificent and successful position.
You will get a great view of the sea from this fort. You can also see the prison that was used in the earlier days and their ventilation/monitoring infrastructure will leave you puzzled.
We spent almost 4 hours at Fort Aguada. This place is very breathtaking and the wind will keep you energized throughout.
DSC_0082.jpg
DSC_0084.jpg
DSC_0085.jpg
DSC_0111.jpg
DSC_0081.jpg
DSC_0114.jpg
DSC_0120.jpg
DSC_0122.jpg
DSC_0123.jpg
DSC_0124.jpg
DSC_0125.jpg
DSC_0127.jpg
DSC_0129.jpg
DSC_0135.jpg
wp_ss_20160915_0005.jpg

Arvalem Waterfall
We left the fort by 2pm to Arvalem Waterfall and reached the spot by 3.15pm.
At a distance of 30 km from Panjim, Arvalem waterfalls cascading down from the mountains from a height of 50 m (24 ft), is one of the most amazing spots situated in North Goa.
This beautiful waterfall forms a huge lake at the bottom, which is much popular amongst the swimmers. The color of the waterfall becomes muddy brown in monsoon rains and the water flow is quite less in summer.
This waterfall is set amidst charming surroundings, with the Rudreshwar temple in its vicinity. The Arvalem waterfall is one of the most crowded tourist spots in Goa. The Government has developed a park at the waterfall where one can peacefully sit and enjoy the beauty of the waterfall. The time I visited this falls was great. As it was monsoon time the falls was heavy.
The falls are easily accessible from the nearest road point .
We were at the falls till 5pm and then returned to the Hotel. Spent some night hours in Baga Beach.
DSC_0003.jpg
DSC_0013.jpg
DSC_0018 (2).jpg
DSC_0019 (2).jpg
DSC_0020 (2).jpg
DSC_0021 (2).jpg
DSC_0022 (2).jpg
DSC_0023 (2).jpg
DSC_0027 (2).jpg
DSC_0028 (2).jpg
DSC_0040 (2).jpg
DSC_0041 (2).jpg
DSC_0045 (2).jpg
DSC_0056 (2).jpg

The next day I have to leave Goa to Murudeshwara and then to Bangalore. The fact that I have to leave Goa tomorrow was pricking me.
"What happens in Goa stays in Goa" is very true to the concept!
Some photos at the beach:
DSC_0144.jpg
DSC_0145.jpg
DSC_0146.jpg
DSC_0150.jpg
DSC_0155.jpg
DSC_0161.jpg
DSC_0163.jpg
DSC_0165 (2).jpg
DSC_0171.jpg
DSC_0174.jpg
DSC_0175.jpg
DSC_0176.jpg
DSC_0186.jpg
DSC_0187.jpg
DSC_0189.jpg
DSC_0196.jpg
DSC_0199.jpg
DSC_0211.jpg
Day 4(Saturday)
Checked out from Hotel by 9 am after breakfast that was provided by OYO.
Took the Margo-Kasargod Road to Murudeshwara . A 240KM drive from Baga Beach to Murudeshwara .
The Roads were pleasant with no Toll in between. While crossing the Goa border to Karnataka you have to come across 2 checking posts where the police search your car fully for alcohol or Goan Spirits[frustration].
Some shots on the way to Murudeshwara
DSC_0078 (2).jpg
DSC_0077 (2).jpg
DSC_0080 (2).jpg
DSC_0088 (2).jpg
DSC_0090 (2).jpg
DSC_0100 (2).jpg
DSC_0098 (2).jpg
DSC_0109 (2).jpg
DSC_0107 (2).jpg
DSC_0110 (2).jpg
Murudeshwara:
Murudeshwara is famous abode of Lord Shiva and a popular pilgrimage center in South India.
We Reached Murudeshwara by 4pm. Was very tired by the time I reached there as I was the only person driving the car for the last 4 days.
Parked the car in the beach and took rest for 2 hours.

At 6pm took darshan at the temple. Murudeshwar is famous for the world's second tallest Shiva statue (123 ft) & tallest temple tower (249 ft) of Murudeshwar Temple. The sea on three sides surrounds the temple towering on the small hill called Kanduka Giri.
This is a great place to watch the sunset. Murudeshwar is also known for the Murudeshwar Fort and wonderful beaches.

After the Darshan, we bought prasad, laddo and spent some time in the beach as the view of the temple in moonlight was breathtaking.
DSC_0115 (2).jpg
DSC_0116 (2).jpg
DSC_0121 (2).jpg
DSC_0117 (2).jpg
DSC_0122 (2).jpg
DSC_0125 (2).jpg
DSC_0127 (2).jpg
DSC_0145 (2).jpg
DSC_0147 (2).jpg
DSC_0172 (2).jpg
DSC_0175 (2).jpg

We left Murudeshwar by 8pm. Map shows 549 km for home(Bangalore)! Whooo!

From Murudeshwar we headed to Kumta, had dinner there and continued via Sirsi to Haveri. From Haveri it is the same route that we traveled while going to Goa. Once we reached Chitradurga, I parked the car near the toll and slept for 1 hour. Highway police Ertiga was parked near the toll booth the only reason why we felt that the place is safe for a small break.

We continued from Chitradurga by 2.30 Am, passed Tumkur and reached home by 6.30 Am.
The return drive from Murudeshwar was a very slow drive and almost took 11 hours.

I have a Spooky Experience to share that happened on this route.

It happened around 11.30pm, 10-15 kms before Ranebennur, before the Kamat Upachar and coffee day. I was driving at a speed of 80-110 and all of a sudden a iron rubbing tire sound started coming from the Front right tire. I thought that the tire is punctured and parked the car to the side and checked all the tires. To my surprise all the tires are in shape. I opened bonnet to check if something is stuck in between or broken. Everything looks intact. I was really shocked and was unable to know what caused the sound. In all my years of travel, I haven't ever heard of a road creating that kind of a groaning. I decided to continue riding and if the noise comes again then will park the car in some safe place and call for service.

Note: The stretch where I heard the noise is in the highway with bare lands on both the sides. There where no lights in that stretch. The road was very nice, no potholes, cement or anything. I know while driving in cement or tiles we hear sound from the tire but that road was complete tar. No issue visible in the road.

I have heard various sounds that are due to the friction when the car passes by certain dividers or barricades but this was odd as there seems to be no difference in the road surface for a few kilometers before and after.

After all the checks I started the car and once I reached 3rd gear the noise came again.
I decided to ride on till I find a petrol pump/hotel or toll. I kept riding in 50 and after 4-5 km i spotted Kamat Upachar and coffee day. As I was driving towards Kamat Upachar the noise disappeared. Well, I decided that I will park the car in Kamat Upachar and call for service rather than taking risk of driving another 300 plus km to Bangalore.
I parked the car at Kamat Upachar and I was checking on the tires and engine bonnet again. All of a sudden the security from Kamat Upachar came to me and asked me are you wondering about the noise you heard from the car about 5km before?

I was shocked, how do he know this? I told yes, he told me that after 8pm most of the cars passing toward Bangalore via that stretch hear this noise from the Front right tire and stop here for checking. He told me that it is not a issue with the Car but a issue with that particular stretch(almost 5km). He also added that many accidents and theft/robbery cases have been reported in that region.
Hearing this, I was happy that there was no issue with the car and was shocked to think that I stopped right at the spot where I heard the noise and checked the tire and engine.
There was a Coffee Day next to Kamat Upachar. I had a coffee there and those guys also told me the same story that was told by the security .
I spent almost 1 hour there and after getting out of the shock started the Car and started riding to Bangalore. That noise was no more there in the Car now. I ticked 160, no sound or signs of issues. I did some Hard Braking, jumped some Humps just to be sure that the car has no issues and yes, there was no problem at all. Everything is normal. The Car was at its best.

After reaching home some unanswered Qstns remain in my mind: What caused this noise for 5 km?(The road was very nice, no potholes, cement or anything.

If it is a Robbery attempt, how is this noise made? Any Ghost activity?

It is spooky in a sense this was unnatural..

Are there any TAI members who experienced this issue? If so please comment with your experience and your findings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DSC_0170 (2).jpg
DSC_0177 (2).jpg
DSC_0180 (2).jpg
DSC_0182 (2).jpg

Zest was very responsive in all the roads and I enjoyed the ride and stability. The power of the car and way it handled the rough patches of the road was awesome. This trip added yet another feather to my Trust in Zest and TATA.

Arjun MP Singing off.
Will be back with new trip and new travelogue soon!!

Nicely written with lot of useful information (including the Spooky Experience), Arjun. I'm getting tempted to go to these places, after going thro' your post. Some of the photos are very good. Two tiny advises:
1. Please moderate the number of Photos.
2. A little Description with each photo will be really handy for readers.
Wish you a lot of happy travelogues in your nice Zest.

Travel is more than the seeing of sights. Nice travelogue Bro, with all the information. Also the Spooky Experience[surprise]. Glad that you came back safely[:D]. Zest looks super, especially the last photo. [clap]

Last edited:
Mission: Bangalore-Goa-Amboli Ghat- Murudeshwara-Bangalore
View attachment 213906

Man and the Beast:
View attachment 213907

View attachment 213908

The thought of travelling to Goa was in my mind from January, time work and all other factors kept pushing the plan.
Finally I was able to arrange it for September.
On the previous day to the trip: Washed the car, did a Full tank of diesel, Tyre pressure check, packed snacks, clothes and I am all set.
Number of traveler:2

Route and Road conditions: Started on Tuesday night around 10. Took the NICE road- from Bannerghatta road to Tumkur road- AH 47 till Hiriyur and then on to NH 48 till Hubbali. From Hubbali you have to take a left to Goa. The road passes through Bhagavan Mahaveer Sanctuary. The road till Chitradurga is simply superb. From Chitradurga to Davangere, there are many deviations and those useless humps in between.

We reached Bhagavan Mahaveer Sanctuary by 2 am. This is a very dense forest and is always best that you cross this forest during day. It took me 3 hours to cross this forest section. I also had to drive through 0 visibility fog for about 15 km. It was a very scary experience for me as the visibility was very low due to fog. There were very few vehicles in the road during that time.
Once you cross this forest you will hit the Panjim road that takes you to Goa.
We reached the hotel by 8 am.

Accommodation: Booked Hotel With OYO.
Hotel Name: Zinhos Beach Resort
Cost: 2300 per day is the charge. Was able to get it for 1100 per day when booked through a friend of me who works at OYO. The Hotel is situated very close to Baga Beach and is perfect for a awesome stay.
View attachment 213920
View attachment 213921
View attachment 213922

Fuel: Total spent on diesel: Rs 6384.
Total distance Traveled(Bangalore-Goa-Amboli Ghat-Goa- Murudeshwara-Bangalore): 2327 Km
Mileage: 21(overall trip)

Places visited
Day 1(Wednesday): Basilica of Bom Jesus
Located in Old Goa, the Basilica of Bom Jesus is a World Heritage Site. It was raised to the status of a minor Basilica in 1946 and is considered to be one of the best examples of Baroque architecture in Goa. The Basilica holds the mortal remains of St. Francis Xavier in Goa.
A very peaceful location with lots of history sleeping inside.
View attachment 213923
View attachment 213924
View attachment 213925
View attachment 213926

Salim Ali Bird Sanctuary
Visited this place by 2pm.
You have to take your car in a Ribandar ferry to this spot. They just charge 10rs to transport a car from one side to the other. On the western tip of the island of Chorao along River Mandovi, mangrove swamps cover this bird-watchers' paradise aptly named after India's best-known ornithologist. This is Goa's only bird sanctuary, 1.8 Sq Km in area. A variety of local and migratory birds can be found on this island.
The area consists of mangrove vegetation. Mangrove ecosystems are among the most productive ones known.
View attachment 213927
View attachment 213928
View attachment 213929
View attachment 213930
View attachment 213931
View attachment 213932
View attachment 213933
View attachment 213934

Day 2(Thursday): Amboli ghat
Started from the Hotel at 5 am and reached the spot by 7am.
Is situated 90 kms from Baga Beach.
The beautiful hill-station of Amboli is rightly called the 'queen' of Maharashtra;. Such is its natural splendour Famous among environmentalists as a precious ecological hotspot, it is cool, calm, serene and enriched with all the treasures that the world of flora and fauna can bestow upon it. Located in the princely state of Sawantwadi, Amboli is located on the ridge of the Western Ghats and is particularly majestic during the monsoon when impromptu waterfalls gush down the hilly terrain.
The entire region gets covered with a dense fog during several times a day. It is then that you can actually experience the power of silence and how nature makes it own music.
View attachment 213935
View attachment 213936
View attachment 213937
View attachment 213938
View attachment 213939
View attachment 213940
View attachment 213941

Returned from Amboli ghat by 1pm headed straight to the hotel. Spent the evening time in Anjuna Beach. Nightlife in Goa can be best Experienced in Baga and Anjuna Beach.

Day 3(Friday): Fort Aguada
Started from Hotel by 9 am after breakfast that was provided by OYO.
Fort Aguada is just 20 minutes drive from Baga Beach. Standing on the headland overlooking the mouth of the Mandovi River, Fort Aguada occupies a magnificent and successful position.
You will get a great view of the sea from this fort. You can also see the prison that was used in the earlier days and their ventilation/monitoring infrastructure will leave you puzzled.
We spent almost 4 hours at Fort Aguada. This place is very breathtaking and the wind will keep you energized throughout.
View attachment 213943
View attachment 213944
View attachment 213945
View attachment 213946
View attachment 213947
View attachment 213948
View attachment 213861
View attachment 213862
View attachment 213863
View attachment 213864
View attachment 213865
View attachment 213866
View attachment 213867
View attachment 213868
View attachment 213869

Arvalem Waterfall
We left the fort by 2pm to Arvalem Waterfall and reached the spot by 3.15pm.
At a distance of 30 km from Panjim, Arvalem waterfalls cascading down from the mountains from a height of 50 m (24 ft), is one of the most amazing spots situated in North Goa.
This beautiful waterfall forms a huge lake at the bottom, which is much popular amongst the swimmers. The color of the waterfall becomes muddy brown in monsoon rains and the water flow is quite less in summer.
This waterfall is set amidst charming surroundings, with the Rudreshwar temple in its vicinity. The Arvalem waterfall is one of the most crowded tourist spots in Goa. The Government has developed a park at the waterfall where one can peacefully sit and enjoy the beauty of the waterfall. The time I visited this falls was great. As it was monsoon time the falls was heavy.
The falls are easily accessible from the nearest road point .
We were at the falls till 5pm and then returned to the Hotel. Spent some night hours in Baga Beach.
View attachment 213872
View attachment 213873
View attachment 213874
View attachment 213875
View attachment 213876
View attachment 213877
View attachment 213878
View attachment 213879
View attachment 213880
View attachment 213881
View attachment 213882
View attachment 213883
View attachment 213884
View attachment 213885

The next day I have to leave Goa to Murudeshwara and then to Bangalore. The fact that I have to leave Goa tomorrow was pricking me.
"What happens in Goa stays in Goa" is very true to the concept!
Some photos at the beach:
View attachment 213888
View attachment 213889
View attachment 213890
View attachment 213891
View attachment 213892
View attachment 213893
View attachment 213894
View attachment 213895
View attachment 213896
View attachment 213897
View attachment 213898
View attachment 213899
View attachment 213900
View attachment 213901
View attachment 213902
View attachment 213903
View attachment 213904
View attachment 213905
Day 4(Saturday)
Checked out from Hotel by 9 am after breakfast that was provided by OYO.
Took the Margo-Kasargod Road to Murudeshwara . A 240KM drive from Baga Beach to Murudeshwara .
The Roads were pleasant with no Toll in between. While crossing the Goa border to Karnataka you have to come across 2 checking posts where the police search your car fully for alcohol or Goan Spirits[frustration].
Some shots on the way to Murudeshwara
View attachment 213909
View attachment 213910
View attachment 213911
View attachment 213912
View attachment 213913
View attachment 213914
View attachment 213915
View attachment 213916
View attachment 213917
View attachment 213918
Murudeshwara:
Murudeshwara is famous abode of Lord Shiva and a popular pilgrimage center in South India.
We Reached Murudeshwara by 4pm. Was very tired by the time I reached there as I was the only person driving the car for the last 4 days.
Parked the car in the beach and took rest for 2 hours.

At 6pm took darshan at the temple. Murudeshwar is famous for the world's second tallest Shiva statue (123 ft) & tallest temple tower (249 ft) of Murudeshwar Temple. The sea on three sides surrounds the temple towering on the small hill called Kanduka Giri.
This is a great place to watch the sunset. Murudeshwar is also known for the Murudeshwar Fort and wonderful beaches.

After the Darshan, we bought prasad, laddo and spent some time in the beach as the view of the temple in moonlight was breathtaking.
View attachment 213919
View attachment 213950
View attachment 213951
View attachment 213952
View attachment 213953
View attachment 213954
View attachment 213955
View attachment 213956
View attachment 213957
View attachment 213958
View attachment 213959

We left Murudeshwar by 8pm. Map shows 549 km for home(Bangalore)! Whooo!

From Murudeshwar we headed to Kumta, had dinner there and continued via Sirsi to Haveri. From Haveri it is the same route that we traveled while going to Goa. Once we reached Chitradurga, I parked the car near the toll and slept for 1 hour. Highway police Ertiga was parked near the toll booth the only reason why we felt that the place is safe for a small break.

We continued from Chitradurga by 2.30 Am, passed Tumkur and reached home by 6.30 Am.
The return drive from Murudeshwar was a very slow drive and almost took 11 hours.

It happened around 11.30pm, 10-15 kms before Ranebennur, before the Kamat Upachar and coffee day. I was driving at a speed of 80-110 and all of a sudden a iron rubbing tire sound started coming from the Front right tire. I thought that the tire is punctured and parked the car to the side and checked all the tires. To my surprise all the tires are in shape. I opened bonnet to check if something is stuck in between or broken. Everything looks intact. I was really shocked and was unable to know what caused the sound. In all my years of travel, I haven't ever heard of a road creating that kind of a groaning. I decided to continue riding and if the noise comes again then will park the car in some safe place and call for service.

Note: The stretch where I heard the noise is in the highway with bare lands on both the sides. There where no lights in that stretch. The road was very nice, no potholes, cement or anything. I know while driving in cement or tiles we hear sound from the tire but that road was complete tar. No issue visible in the road.

I have heard various sounds that are due to the friction when the car passes by certain dividers or barricades but this was odd as there seems to be no difference in the road surface for a few kilometers before and after.

After all the checks I started the car and once I reached 3rd gear the noise came again.
I decided to ride on till I find a petrol pump/hotel or toll. I kept riding in 50 and after 4-5 km i spotted Kamat Upachar and coffee day. As I was driving towards Kamat Upachar the noise disappeared. Well, I decided that I will park the car in Kamat Upachar and call for service rather than taking risk of driving another 300 plus km to Bangalore.
I parked the car at Kamat Upachar and I was checking on the tires and engine bonnet again. All of a sudden the security from Kamat Upachar came to me and asked me are you wondering about the noise you heard from the car about 5km before?

I was shocked, how do he know this? I told yes, he told me that after 8pm most of the cars passing toward Bangalore via that stretch hear this noise from the Front right tire and stop here for checking. He told me that it is not a issue with the Car but a issue with that particular stretch(almost 5km). He also added that many accidents and theft/robbery cases have been reported in that region.
Hearing this, I was happy that there was no issue with the car and was shocked to think that I stopped right at the spot where I heard the noise and checked the tire and engine.
There was a Coffee Day next to Kamat Upachar. I had a coffee there and those guys also told me the same story that was told by the security .
I spent almost 1 hour there and after getting out of the shock started the Car and started riding to Bangalore. That noise was no more there in the Car now. I ticked 160, no sound or signs of issues. I did some Hard Braking, jumped some Humps just to be sure that the car has no issues and yes, there was no problem at all. Everything is normal. The Car was at its best.

After reaching home some unanswered Qstns remain in my mind: What caused this noise for 5 km?(The road was very nice, no potholes, cement or anything.

Are there any TAI members who experienced this issue? If so please comment with your experience and your findings.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
View attachment 213960
View attachment 213961
View attachment 213962
View attachment 213963

Zest was very responsive in all the roads and I enjoyed the ride and stability. The power of the car and way it handled the rough patches of the road was awesome. This trip added yet another feather to my Trust in Zest and TATA.

Arjun MP Singing off.
Will be back with new trip and new travelogue soon!!
Excellent travelogue. A little more details of the photographs would have been better. Very tempting sights.

Last edited:

My wife and I were returning to Bangalore on the 5th of this month. We passed this stretch just after noon, say around 1:30 PM. We heard this noise in our Honda city too. First I thought it was some trucks horn sound. Then my wife too noticed the noise and asked me about it. I turned off the AC and the stereo. Still the noise persisted. I pressed the clutch and eased of the accelerator to check if it was from the engine. The sound was still there. Slowed down the car and the sound was there even as the car slowed down. Stopped the car and checked the tires, mudflaps, bumpers, etc. All were in good shape. Slowly started to drive back. Did not notice the sound. Slowly increased the speed and tried at 130kmph. no noise. But I reduced the speed back to 80kmph to be on the safe side. At times I again raised the speed just to check. But everything was fine. So just forgot about it till I read your post. Strange. But I do not think it has anything to do with robbery.

Thread Starter #9
Highway Ranger, thank you for sharing your experience. As it happened to you during day we can completely omit the chance of robbery or ghost.
There might be some issue with the land below the road in that stretch. [surprise]

There might be some issue with the land below the road in that stretch. [surprise]
But we were sure it was not the road noise. The sound was definitively from the car/wheels/body. At least that was what I could make out. It was sort of a groaning noise loud and clear for that small stretch. If I remember right, it varied in pitch. [confused]

bhvm

Honoured Member
But we were sure it was not the road noise. The sound was definitively from the car/wheels/body. At least that was what I could make out. It was sort of a groaning noise loud and clear for that small stretch. If I remember right, it varied in pitch. [confused]
There was a small patch near Aurangabad where the car would vibrate or ratttle in an unnatural way. We would get down to check tyres etc. It appears there were microscopic deformations or "Ripples" on the road surface. Once the road was re-paved, The problem Disappeared.

Seems that these things are simply backed by science-
Musical Roads That Play Melodies When Cars Drive Over | Amusing Planet

Great write up!

It happened around 11.30pm, 10-15 kms before Ranebennur, before the Kamat Upachar and coffee day. I was driving at a speed of 80-110 and all of a sudden a iron rubbing tire sound started coming from the Front right tire. I thought that the tire is punctured and parked the car to the side and checked all the tires. To my surprise all the tires are in shape. I opened bonnet to check if something is stuck in between or broken. Everything looks intact. I was really shocked and was unable to know what caused the sound. In all my years of travel, I haven't ever heard of a road creating that kind of a groaning.

I have experienced the same on my 2 trips coming back from Pune around the same stretch.

I had actually taken my Punto to check bearing after my trip when I heard the sound first time.

Then again 6 months later (May 2016), the same thing happened. Something to do with road + tyre combo I guess.

Very good write up mparjun5. After reading this i am tempted to Visit Goa by road. However have got my new Car Renault duster two weeks back. Will soon plan a Goa trip by road.

Top Bottom