A Relaxing 2 Days Trip To Jhansi & Orchha in My Wagon-R

Thread Starter #1
This is my first ever Travelogue

Had been planning to do this trip since a couple of months, first planned it for Sept during Eid did’nt workout, then again Gandhi Jayanti, no luck, then out of the blue on 7th night wife said I am having a long Puja & Dussahra holiday (she is a teacher), lets go out, I said ok went on Trivago to find a good hotel/resort in Orchha, bingo found Bundelkhand Riverside Hotel, read some great reviews on Tripadvisor that it was an old world heritage hotel, just next to the Betwa River with reasonably good service etc, price for a Deluxe Room for 2 was 3150/- all inclusive + Breakfast (Continental & Indian Buffet), good deal, booked for 9 & 10 Oct., put in a request for a place for my driver to sleep, which was taken care of.

Now the planning, nothing much, as the distance from Kanpur to Jhansi is just 220Km, 3 to 3.5 hrs was enough to reach, KM reading 16005 when we started, and returned @16677, we planned to attend the morning mass at St. Jude Church, Jhansi which starts at 8am.

As this was the first 2 day trip we were making, after acquiring our fish emporium in July, went to my fishman and got the weekend feed for them (its like a half moon shape, and the fishes keep nibbling on the feed).

Got up at 4am on 9th, wife prepared sandwiches and tea in the thermos, called the driver at 4.30, packed the WagonR (I wanted to take the Nano XTA but have still to receive the number plates & RC), left the house at 4.55am took the Jajmau over bridge (NH 25A Lucknow Kanpur Highway)which connects with the AH1 at Ramadevi, this Kanpur Elevated Corridor bypass of 30+km (between Rooma & Bhaunti short off Rania)cuts down the driving time appreciably.
DSC_0324.JPG
After 4Km of the Rania toll just before the over bridge you take a left on NH 27 Jhansi Highway, pretty decent road uptill Kalpi, passing Kalpi town is still a nightmare as in the 80’s/90’s crater ridden single lane, must be horrible during monsoons.

A strange thing occurred between Kalpi & Orai lots of fog, strange as this is October, and the visibility dripped down to 20 mtrs, I was driving during this time, it was about 6.30am. After a brief sandwich & tea break Shankar my driver took the wheel, we entered St. Jude Shrine at 8.25am.

After mass my wife bought souvenirs etc, and then we proceeded to Orchha, which is in Tikamgarh Dist., MP, a 18km drive from Jhansi on a crowded 2 way road.

We were given a large double room, with a sit out balcony overlooking the Betwa River, and a cozy fireplace with a small lounge/dining area, quite antiqued with raja rani murals on the ceilings, round black/white switches like the 60’s and a huge bathroom. No TV or phones in any room, TV in a common room, swimming pool which was closed for maintenance, card room, bar room (closed they serve beer in the room 100 bucks more than the market) WIFI only in reception area, we quite liked the unobtrusive old-world charm.
DSC_0330.JPG
DSC_0332.JPG
DSC_0333.JPG
DSC_0334.JPG
DSC_0337.JPG
Orchha being a touristy place had some foreigners, as this is off season not many, so after beer (which was quite chilled) and lunch in the room, we rested and then went to the town which is 1.5km away in the evening, hoping to see the fort & Ram Temple, which were both closed, my wife bought some trinkets from a street girl, who could speak 5 foreign languages besides English & hindi, Ram Temple would reopen at 8pm, we thought of doing it the next day with a visit to Betwa Nadi.
the girl in the middle is multilingual
DSC_0341.JPG
DSC_0343.JPG
the dhobi at the ghat washing bedsheets
DSC_0344.JPG
DSC_0346.JPG
DSC_0350.JPG
On 10th after breakfast we went out sightseeing, came back & checked out at 11am, reached home by 3.30pm, the return highway road between Jhansi & Orai was a nightmare.
DSC_0358.JPG
DSC_0359.JPG
yamuna river bridge at kalpi
DSC_0361.JPG
Kanpur Elevated Corridor bypass
DSC_0367.JPG

Thanks for reading,

Enjoy the pics.

Vinod

Top Bottom