From Bollywood To God's Own Country in My Black Cheetah: Mahindra XUV500 W6

Thread Starter #1
Bollywood To God's Own Country in My Black Cheetah: Mahindra XUV500 W6

For long time I was planning a drive to Kerala from Mumbai, but my wife always said it is too far and better we fly down. Then fine one day in December 2015 she said lets go somewhere during the New Year week, considering winter I thought of covering South India as it is best time to go south. Again Kerala plan was on the table and luckily she said YES, so a drive was finalized, total 4 members me, wife and my parents. Now the planning started read lots of blogs available on web and after lots of considerations for leaves and places finally planed as below.

Day 1 – Mumbai - Mysuru
Day 2 – Mysuru - Ooty
Day 3 – OOty - Munnar
Day 4 – Munnar
Day 5 – Munnar - Thekkady
Day 6 – Thekkady - Alleppey
Day 7 – Alleppey - Kochi
Day 8 – Kochi - Varkala
Day 9 – Varkala – Madurai - Tumkuru
Day 10 – Tumkuru - Mumbai

Total distance – 3808 KM
Total passenger – 4
Vehicle – Mahindra XUV 5OO (less than 1 year)
ODO – 12000 (approx)
Total fuel – 295 Litre
Fuel average- 12.90 kmpl (100% A/C)

Considering a new car with less than 1 year (11 Months) and recently serviced I didn’t plan much for the car, only bought a Tyre Inflator (Coido 2153) as an emergency tool.

Now comes the booking part, considering week before New Year most of the good hotels were sold out still managed to get few decent properties.

Day 1 (24/25 Dec)
Route: Mumbai – Pune – Satara – Kolhapur – Belgam – Hubli – Davangere – Sira – Nagamangala – Srirangapatna – Mysore
Distance: 1050km
Travel Time: 17hrs (including 3hrs break)

Finally the day came, I had holiday but my wife had office on that day, I was busy whole day in few personal tasks which I had to complete before heading for vacation, also bought a DSLR (Canon 700d) for the trip on the same day. My wife came early from office but we still managed to start around 7 pm, loaded luggage for 4 people plus water (24 bottles), Gatorade, juices and snacks in the boot which took me around 20 min.

It is always very difficult to cross Mumbai before long weekends, thought of taking an alternate route to connect Eastern express highway but unfortunately caught in jam for more than 1.5 hrs and finally reached Mumbai – Pune express highway toll (Khalapur) around 10 pm, took a break for dinner and topped up diesel, left food court at around 11 pm. Road condition was good, less traffic took a tea break(20 min) at Tasavade toll plaza near Karad. Everyone in the car slept after that, good for non-stop journey, kept driving on NH4 till Sira, I was also feeling sleepy so was driving at 70-80 kmph took exit at Sira pulled car on shoulder and took a power nap (20 min), after driving for some 1 hour stopped for breakfast there were very few hotels asked a restaurant and he breakfast will be only available at one place at that early, breakfast was very good hot idli and medu wada, road condition after Sira was little bad there was a patch of around 10 km with almost no road, reached Mysore around 1 pm.

Due to last minute plan I didn’t pre booked any hotel at Mysore, that was mistake as whole city was booked, luckily got a lodge for a price of 4 star hotel [frustration]. Got fresh and took ric for Mysore palace had lunch just outside palace, palace was very crowded and there was long queue to get in, dropped plan and took some photos outside, after that headed for Church had dinner and slept by 10pm that was end of day 1.

Mysore Palace
01.JPG

St. Philomena Church
02.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Day-2 (26-Dec-2015)
Route: Mysore – Gundlupete – Gudalur – Ooty
Distance: 130km
Travel Time: 5hrs (including 1.5hrs break)

Checked-out from hotel by 9am, had breakfast (45 min) on the way at Kamat’s, topped up diesel and left Mysore by 10:30 am. Mysore – Gundlupete road work was going on, had lots of diversions, entered Bandipur national park by 11:45 am, beautiful jungle, very scenic road though it was narrow, after entering Tamilnadu road was in bad shape, due to holidays there was lot of traffic specially tourist bus, they drive little crazy. Took multiple breaks for photos, passed through 36 bends and reached Ooty around 2 pm. Checked-in at hotel and went for lunch and then straight to Botanical garden, there were lots of cars, parking was problem still managed to got one. Back to hotel by 7pm, and retired for the day after dinner by 10pm.

03.JPG

04.JPG

05.JPG

06.JPG

07.JPG

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Day-3 (27-Dec-2015)
Route: Ooty – Munnar
Distance: 250km
Travel Time: 11hrs (including 4hrs break)

Got up early had breakfast at hotel and left Ooty by 8am. First 50km till Mettupalayam was hilly terrain, after that road was in decent condition, there were few rough patches till Udumalpet. We took breaks in between for diesel, tea & coconut water which were like 20 min each. After Udumalpet road passes through forest, there are 4 forest gates where one has to get down and enter car and passenger details, due to holiday season there was rush at each gate and we lost 1 hour in total during this process. Road condition in forest area was pathetic. Next stop at 2pm Karimutty falls its a small fall but good. By then it was lunch time, was feeling hungry stopped at Sandal Breeze Hotel Marayoor for lunch at around 3pm, restaurant was packed, finally got lunch after 30 min waiting, we ordered Kerala fish thali & biryani it was very good. After lunch we headed further for Munnar, stopped at Kannan Devan Tea Plantation for few pics around 4pm, and then at Lakkam waterfall around 4:30pm, it’s a small fall with good flow, by then it started drizzling we stopped for tea there. It was getting dark by then and dense fog on road, finally reached Munnar city around 6:15pm, stopped there for 1hr and reached hotel by 7:15pm. Had dinner and retired for the day by 10pm.

Ooty to Konoor
08.JPG

Karimutty Falls
09.JPG

Kannan Devan Tea Plantation
10.JPG

11.JPG

Cheetah enjoying tea
12.JPG

Lakkam Waterfall
13.JPG

14.JPG

Thread Starter #4
Day – 4 (28-Dec-2015)
Route: Munnar local sightseeing
Distance: 85km

Today we planned only local sightseeing, got up little late and left hotel after breakfast around 11am, straight went to Rose Garden they have many variety of flowers. Next stop Photo point good spot for pics with all tall trees in the background clicked some pics and moved, next stop Mattupetty Dam but as this place was heavily crowded thought to cover it later in evening, headed further next stop Echo Point, I parked some 200m before echo point nice place there were few stalls serving tea, coffee and light snacks, we had some snacks and relaxed for 45min, after that headed further towards Top Station in between stopped 3-4 times for pics. Top station was not that crowded, parked car some 1km before and walked, by then it was lunch time and were feeling hungry stopped at one restaurant asked him to arrange table at open garden in the back of restaurant, weather was little chilly, fog covering near by hills, after lunch went to Top Station View point, visibility was low waited for some 5-10 min to catch valley view. Started journey back for hotel as we reached near Photo point it was sunset time and many people were waiting, I too stopped and saw nice sunset. Headed further to Munnar city, did some shopping (Tea, Spices and essential Oils). Reached hotel by 7:30-8pm had dinner and retired for the day.

Rose Garden
15.JPG

16.JPG

Photo Point
17.JPG

18.JPG

Somewhere between Echo Point and Top Station
20.JPG

21.JPG

Top Station
22.JPG
Kundala Dam
23.JPG

Sunset from Photo Point
24.JPG

25.JPG

Thread Starter #5
Day – 5 (29-Dec-2015)
Route: Munnar – Thekkady
Distance: 110km
Travel Time: 6hrs (including 2.5hrs break)

Got up little late, had breakfast & checked out by 11am, straight went to Tea Museum, after spending 1hr there left for Thekkady at around 12:30pm. Munnar - Thekkady route (Devikulam) is one of the best route I drove in India, very scenic, stopped at Power house waterfall on the way and then after stopped in between at 3-4 places for pics, road condition was good throughout. It started drizzle stopped at one of the small restaurant had appam for lunch, reached Thekkady at 5pm. After reaching Thekkady first booked show for Kathakalli and kalaripayatu, show timings were 7-8pm and 8-9pm, went to hotel checked in and came back for show by 6:45pm, they have limited parking but luckily I got one. Kalaripayatu was good had fun. Reached back hotel at 9:30pm ordered food and retired for the day by 10:30pm.

Tea Museum
26.JPG

Power House Waterfall
27.JPG

28.JPG

29.JPG

30.JPG

Mudra Kalari Centre
31.JPG

Thread Starter #6
Day – 6 (30-Dec-2015)
Route: Thekkady – Alleppey
Distance: 150km
Travel Time: 5.5hrs (including 1hr break)

Today we have planned for Periyar boat safari @ 7:30am which was booked online, got up early and left for safari at 6am, reached safari gate by 6:15am there was long queue, one has to pay entry fee at gate, as gate opened went in and parked car in parking lot, safari was for 1.5 hrs it was good but we were not much lucky, reached hotel by 9:45am had breakfast, got ready and left for Alleppy from hotel at around 11:30am. Stopped for Banana chips at kumli near HP petrol bunk. Road condition throughout was good, stopped in between for lunch, I found food at most of the restaurants in Kerala is good. Reached Alleppey around 5pm, rest of the day just relaxed at resort and slept by 10pm.

32.JPG

33.JPG

34.JPG

35.JPG

36.JPG

Thread Starter #7
Day – 7 (31-Dec-2015)
Route: Alleppey – Kochi
Distance: 50km
Travel Time: 1.5hrs (including 15min break)

It was 31st, got up by 8am as I know most of the house boats were already booked still wanted to try my luck, googled and called up few guys, everyone said they were sold out, luckily got one guy he said a house boat is available but only for 4hrs, he was asking boom price due to 31st, thought for few seconds and fixed the deal.
Reached Punnamda jetty at 10am, boat was ready, houseboat ride was fun, had lunch on the boat and were back on jetty by 2pm, picked my car and left for Kochi, took NH66 and reached Kochi by 3:30pm. Kochi has fireworks on New Year’s eve, took a nap and again left hotel by 6:30pm. Enjoyed fireworks at fort kochi. Roads were heavily crowded reached hotel back by 2am.

37.JPG

38.JPG

39.JPG

40.JPG

41.JPG

42.JPG

43.JPG

Lovely Travelogue !! Such kind of trip is in my plan. Your travelogue will help me in planning it. I will be driving my Grand i10 along with my family and there will be no night drives.

The plan is to do Pune - Mysore - Ooty - Munnar - Thekkady - Kumarakom - Alleppy - Kochi - Wayanand - Kolhapur - Pune

Its a lengthy plan, but can it be done in my humble hatchback ?

Thread Starter #9
Thanks GrandRK, trip you are planning could be easily done by any car, roads for 90% of this route are in very good to good shape, am sure you will enjoy drive [:)].

Re: Bollywood To God's Own Country in My Black Cheetah: Mahindra XUV500 W6

Got fresh and took ric for Mysore palace had lunch just outside palace, palace was very crowded and there was long queue to get in, dropped plan and took some photos outside, after that headed for Church had dinner and slept by 10pm that was end of day 1.

Mysore Palace
View attachment 210198

St. Philomena Church
View attachment 210200
Congrats kukku_k. I recall our visit to the same place. Yours is a long trip and covers most interesting places in Kerala. Anyway, keep posting.

Thread Starter #11
Day – 8 (1-Jan-2016)
Route: Kochi – Varkala
Distance: 160km
Travel Time: 3.5hrs

Started from Kochi after breakfast at around 9am followed NH66 in south direction, reached Varkala by 12:30pm. NH66 passes through many towns so it is very difficult to get high speeds. Had lunch at hotel, took some rest, then plan was to try Kerala massage at hotel, it was very relaxing. In the evening went for a short walk on beach and later for dinner to a nearby restaurant, hit bed by 11pm.

44.JPG

45.JPG

46.JPG

47.JPG

Thread Starter #13
Day – 9 (2-Jan-2016)
Route: Varkala – Madurai - Tumkuru
Distance: 775km
Travel Time: 19hrs (including 7hrs break)

Checked out from hotel by 7am, took a break of 30min for breakfast at around 8am, crossed Shenkottai, Tamil Nadu by 9:45am, road was in good condition, reached Meenakshi temple, Madurai at 1pm. It took us some time to find parking as most of the parking lots were full. Went to temple only to find out it gets closed by 12:30pm and re-opens again at 4pm. Clicked few pics from outside and then went for lunch, just outside temple got 1 guide who told us he can help us in getting darshan quickly, followed him and got darshan in 20min after opening of temple at 4pm. Left Madurai at 5pm, followed NH4, its a wonderfully laid road, reached Bangalore by 11:30pm, I thought to cover some more distance and find a hotel on the way to Tumkuru, I think that was a big mistake as I could not find any hotel till Tumkuru. Tumkuru a small town with very few hotels, checked 5-6 hotels only to find all were sold out, luckily got a lodge at 2am.

48.JPG

Meenakshi Temple
49.JPG

Thread Starter #14
Day – 10 (3-Jan-2016)
Route: Tumkuru – Mumbai
Distance: 925km
Travel Time: 15.5hrs (including 2.5hrs break)

Got up and checked out from hotel by 8am. Road was butter smooth and very less traffic, stopped for breakfast around 9:30am and reached Kolhapur by lunch time 2pm. After Kolhapur found a jam around Karad which took 45min to clear. Stopped for tea around 6:30pm near Satara, reached Mumbai-Pune expressway toll booth at Talegaon by 9pm. Stopped at food court on expressway for dinner reached Mumbai by 11:30pm.

Total Distance
20160104_101448.jpg

Top Bottom