Chennai To Madurai and Back on ZMA

Thread Starter #1
this is home going trip for vinayagar chaturthi holidays. initial idea was to go by bus. Tried in SETC. got booking in SETC vaigai volvo on sunday afternoon. but it was too late.

on the other hand private opeartors were charging like a flight. plan of bus dropped. Next idea is to take safari. one guy in safari. decided against. also finances were strict after becoming a student again.

travelling by cbz xtreme was also dropped becuase of a cut in the rear tyre and the mechanical condition isn't great for a long trip. RX-100 was also dropped becuase of the ancient brakes.

the only option is to go by ZMA. the zma was being used by my cousin in bangalore. he returned the bike just a few weeks back after getting TNT 300.

did a tank fill and started from porur at 4am. immediately noticed a few faults. ODO was blinking between on and off. fuelling was not great and bike hic ups between 3-5k rpm. headlight blinking on and off. drove till perunganalathur and the traffic was mad.

found a place where i can work on the bike. Headlight was fixed as the cut outer wring had a small cut.

found the AFR screw was messed up causing the bike to hick up. As my bike has a pre 2005 ZMA CDI unit. AFR needs to be at 3.5 turns. some how after some working found the sweet spot. all set and ready to go.

bike year: 2012
kms dome: 97,000

Mods Done:

90/100 philips rally bulbs
Ninja 250 brake pads
Maruthi Zen air fliter
NGK G power spark plug
Swapped with orginal zma cdi unit.

the bike was bike at my comfortable set up and started rolling. throw from the 90/100 bulbs was phenomenal. i could flash lights on trucks/buses with comfortable distance.

Again the N250 brake pads was awesome. anyone who does a lot of highway trips is recommended to n250 pads. direct fit.

Zen MPFI filter provides excellent breathing for the bike. there is a mild difference in mid range punch.

NGK g power can be used a prologned usage of high speed operation.

now the CDI unit is the real difference maker. although the ZMA is one single bike since it's lauch. 2003- 2005 had one CDI unit, 2005- 2007 had the same CDI with tammed behaviour, the post 2007- r version is the least powerful.

2003 to 2005 cdi units rev all the way to 9.5k rpm. while the second batch had a limition of 8700. the r version is the least powerful with 8450 limiter and if the bike is driven at above 8k for continous duration. the CDI unit would cut off.

coming back to the journey, i could see all bikes ranging from splendours to triumph tiger.Cars from humble 800 to AUDI, MERCS, BMW.nice to see that most bikers were wearing helmets.

reached home at 11 am. return journey was on tuesday night 2 am and reached chennai by 10.30. on the way near SRM college witness a burned car. cannot guess the car. going by body shell structure it has to be Nano. acheived a top speed of 135.

took only a few pics.

Attachments

Top Bottom