Bangalore - Kolkata Road Condition

Thread Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am planning a road trip to Kolkata with my family in my Maruti Swift.
It is around 2000 KM and I am the only driver.
I want to check on the road conditions to Kolkata. I think as per google, the following seems to be the shortest route:
Bangalore -- Vishakapattanam -- Kolkata

I have driven to Hydrabad quite a few times. And roads are just awesome.
Can I expect same that kind of road condition in the above stretch ?
If not, then can you please tell me where all the bad stretches are ?
What is the averages speed can one maintain in the above route (good/bad stretch) ?
How is the road condition in Orrisa ? Is there any separate tax/charge to be paid for plying in Orrisa ?
How long does it take to reach Vishakapattanam ?
How is the lorry traffic condition on this route during the day time ?
What are the cities/places for night halting? Any recommendation of hotels are welcome.

Pls suggest.

Regards,
Shubhadeep

Hi Shubhghosh,
Welcome to TAI. You are new so did not realize this post should have gone in the itinerary section and not the main travel section.

To answer to your queries. roads in Odisha are superb and can be done without a hitch. You need not pay any additional tax in Odisha for plying. This was earlier been illegaly forced upon motorists but now done away with.

If you can stretch it then Vizag Kolkata is doable in a day. Else you can stay in Bhubaneshwar or Rambha / Barkul to space out the drive and enjoy the scenery of Chilika Lake.

Road between Balasore to Kharagpur (NH 60) has some diversions but basic average speed can be maintained.

I am asking Rahul 4640 / Swiftkolkta to respond to your query as he has done that recently.

All the best

I have done Kolkata Bangalore Numerous Times and Last was in June.
Google Suggested Route is better Bangalore~Chittor~Tirupathi~Vizag~Kolkata.
Road conditions were good, and you will get single laned highway with Ghat Sections from Bangalore till you connect the Chennai - Kolkata NH-5 at Naidupeta
You will get few Kms of Broken Stretch after Vijaywada.
After that roads are pretty smooth and double laned all the way till Kolkata.
Vizag to Kolkata I did last weekend, Night Driving took me 9 Hrs and its Doable in 12 Hrs at most, You can Maintain avg. 100Kmph all along if you are driving at night which will change to around 70Kmph in the morning.
Anytime of the day, trucks are not that much of a concern but during Daytime the Village Traffic, Stupid Bikers and Pedestrians crossing the Highway, Tractors and Other Driving Proudly on the Wrong Lane are a BIGGER Concern.[frustration]
Your Only stop should be at Vizag (try Hotel Dolphin or Winsar Park) The Stretch from Bangalore till Vizag is a tad bit longer but definitely Doable.

Last edited:
My friend did this route upto Alipurduar during April-May (on a RE Classic i.e) as per him the route is good to very good through out and I don't see why you should break a sweat with your Swift. Over my years living in the South I have realised Bad Road from perspective of once getting used to Roads here probably means better than 70% of the ok roads of our Bengal and other states up North. I have been planning to do this route since 3 years and still haven't managed though.

Balasore Kharagpur stretch is superb now.... I drove two months back and as far as I remember there was just one diversion...

Top Bottom