Toyota Fortuner's Days Out: (Series 2) To Kodaikanal

Thread Starter #1
Fortuner's Days Out: (Series 2) to Kodaikanal.

This is the second inter-state trip that we made during July 2016. Our earlier inter-state trip (June-July 2014) was published here, 4 Days visit to Wayanad, Mysore and Ooty.

June-July is the summer break here in Gulf, and most of the families travel back to their native place. We too did the same but little early this time. I took little more days including the Eid Holidays. The weather here in Kuwait is at its peak. Maximum temperature reported this time is around 55Degress. It was record temperature unlike in earlier years. There is an image of a melted traffic sign board, is shuttling in whatsapp groups. It is monsoon time at Kerala. We were welcomed with heavy rain on the day of arrival at Cochin. It was nice weather and consistent rain throughout. We returned back to Kuwait while writing this Travelogue.

We started this trip from Ernakulam to Kodaikanal (280km 7hr45Min), and returned back from Kodaikanal to Pathanamthitta (248km 6hr3min).
route1.jpg

route2.jpg

Overall Schedule as follows.
14.07.2016 Day1: Going to Kodaikanal
  • 6.10am Ernakulam, Vytila
  • 8.00am Kothamangalam, Breakfast at Cloud 9
  • 11.30am Tea Break at Poopara/Munnar Lotus Restaurant
  • 2.30pm Lunch Break at Apple Valley Hotel, Kodaikanal
    • 1. Chettiar Park
    • 2. Kurinji Andavar Temple
    • 3. Moair Point
    • 4. 7D Theatre (The first 7D Theatre in India)
  • 8.30pm Dinner at Kodaikanal Restaurant, near Bus Stand.

15.07.2016 Day2: Site Seeing
  • 8.30 Breakfast at Apple Valley
    • 5. Visit to Moair Point, and then to Berijam Lake
    • 6. Pine Forest
    • 7. Pillar Rocks
    • 8. Green Valley View (Suicide Point)
  • 2.45pm Lunch at Arya’s Restaurant
    • 9. Kodaikanal Lake and Boating
    • 10. Bryant Park
    • 11. Coakers Walk
    • 12. CSI Church
  • 8.30pm Dinner at Hotel Apple valley.

16.07.2016 Day3: Return to Pathanamthitta: Reached at 3.30pm
  • 8.30am Breakfast at Apple Valley
    • 13. Shenbaganur Museum—Kodaikanal
    • 14. Silvercascade Water Falls
    • 15. Valanjavattom Water Falls, Kumaly
  • 1.00pm Lunch at KTDC Kuttikanam
  • 3.30pm Pathanamthitta

The vehicle used:
1_12.jpg

Teaser Video, Entering Tamilnadu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HToxKq-i_RM

Thread Starter #2
Re: Fortuner's Days Out: (Series 2) to Kodaikanal.

Kodaikanal is a hill town in the southern Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
• Elevation: 2,133 m
• Area: 21.45 km²
• Weather: 11°C, Wind W at 14 km/h, 100% Humidity
• Population: 36,501 (2011)
This trip was not in our plan. We were at Ernakulam, and came to know that our relatives are going to visit Kodaikanal. We took this opportunity and decided to visit Kodaikanal. We inquired the hotel for room availability and found that rooms are available at the same hotel where the relatives booked. July is not in touristic season. We booked room at Apple Valley resort which is very near to bus stand.

We started at 6.10am from Vytilla, Ernakulam and set the GPS to go via Rajakkad, Poopara, Bodinayakanur, Theni, and Kodaikanal. I was not familiar to this route, and have no details about road conditions. All I knew this route is challenging, and can collect details for the possible future explorations. I knew that lots of small water falls on this way. We took Kakkanad, Perumbavoor road. At kothamangalam we found a nice hotel and decided to have breakfast. It is cloud 9 resorts. It is very neat and clean. We had a peaceful breakfast. I guess we were the first family to visit that restaurant on that day.

1_00.jpg

After the breakfast we moved to Vellathuval where we lost the GPS signal. We then messed out the way. By the time rain started, and the road that we took was almost damaged. We took a wrong road and moved around 7 kms. The road sign indicates we are on a return path. I checked with a passerby and confirmed that we are on return path. We then reversed the vehicle and covered the 7kms, and moved to the rajakkad road. That 7+7 kms took us approximately 1hr, mainly due to heavy rain and road conditions. A good Samaritan told us to check “poopara road’ when inquiring the road. That helped. We inquired with multiple people, and they gave right directions to ‘poopara road’.

1_4.jpg

1_5.jpg

1_6.jpg

1_7.jpg

1_8.jpg

Rajakkad poopara road is reasonable, average traffic, and sufficient sign boards. We noticed that we are on right track. Once we reached poopara, there were enough indications to select Bodinayakanur, Tamil Nadu. We stopped for a quick photo session. We found a good restaurant, Lotus restaurant and stopped for a Tea Break around 11.00am. We took some photos of the tea estate. It was really nice, and refreshing. We took the Ghat road to Bodinayakanur. A video posted earlier. Less traffic, but nice views.

1_38.jpg

1_a1.jpg

1_a2.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4

Lower Periyar Hydro-Electric Power Station also on this way. As it was raining, we could not take clear photos.
1-35.jpg

1-39.jpg

1-43.jpg

1-40.jpg

Thread Starter #5

HyD-Eel project photo continuing.

1-3.jpg

We found lots of small water falls on the way. Some photos of the few of the water falls including.
1_22.jpg

1-23.jpg

1-24.jpg

1-30.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7

The roads in Tamil Nadu are almost straight, except on Town limits. No worry about cameras and speed limits. We respect the rules and regulations, hence followed an average speed of 60km/h. Once after Bodinayakanur the road is very straight forward, and have lots of road signs. We stopped for a Coconut water break, somewhere near the Ghat road of Kodaikanal. There is a police outpost for vehicle inspections. The policemen stopped and asked about RC book. Our documentations are all perfect. I make comprehensive insurance every year. One policeman said, your documents are all right, you come in big vehicle, please consider us lunch of a policeman. I understood the meaning, and paid the lunch fee of four of them. This is not mandatory, and I paid on my will. The Ghat uphill drive was very interesting. I did a sedative driving of an average speed of 50km/hr. I was interested to see all milestones, and asked wify (she can read Tamil) to read all name boards. These name boards will help when we return back. We found Kodaikanal Institute of Technology on the way. The Ghat road is reasonably wide. I asked wify to search the hotel location but GPS signal is not consistent. Finally, we found the hotel which is very near to the Bus Stand. We parked the vehicle at the hotel parking lot, and went straight to the restaurant.

1-72.jpg

1-74.jpg

1-71.jpg

1-79.jpg

1-77.jpg

1-80.jpg

1-81.jpg

1-78.jpg

Thread Starter #8

Few more Photos of the Ghat Road, entering to Tamilnadu. Again, the road to Kodaikanal is beautiful. Trees welcome you. Trees spread on both side of the road.

1-58.jpg

1-68.jpg

1-87.jpg

1-90.jpg

1-83.jpg

1-84.jpg

1-86.jpg

Thread Starter #9

Apple Valley Hotel is almost new, and having sufficient parking space. It is on the side of the steep side of the valley. The road to the resort is narrow, and find very tight space while going and returning to this hotel.

We had our lunch and waited at the lobby. Meantime our relatives reached the hotel. Our rooms were in first floor. The view is nice. We decided to move around and nothing was in schedule. Our relatives (family with 3kids) and three other friends rented a Tavera. Tavera driver was knowing most of the places, hence we were just following that vehicle. It was almost 4.30pm, and most of the attractions may be closed by that time. So just took a spin to visit the Chettiyar Park. Unfortunately it closes at 4.00pm. We retuned and moved to Kurinji Andavar Temple. We spent some time there and did a small shopping. I found this cute dog. We then decided to check Berijam Lake and entry details. We reached the gate little late, and the road was closed. We decided to go little early next morning.

1. Chettiyar Park
The beautiful and well maintained park lies towards the north eastern side of the town, on the way to Kurinji Andavar temple. The amazing purple bloom of the Kurinji Flowers can be seen here once in every twelve years. Some of the famous movies in Tamil and Telugu have been shot here, notable among them are "Darling Darling Darling" by the off-screen couple Bhagyaraj & Poornima.

2. Kurinji Andavar Temple
This temple is about 4 km from the lake, and the presiding God is Lord Muruga. Our friends visited the temple, meantime we did a very short shopping.

3 Visit to Moair Point, for details about Berijam Lake
We could not reach there, as the road to Moair Point was closed.

4. 7D Theatre
This is the first 7Dimentional Theatre in India (they proclaim). Entry fee is 100Rs per head. They put two movies, one rider and the other shooting themes. There is fragrance, and paper wedges in addition to 5D cinemas available in other shopping malls. Lulu Mall at Ernakulam is having 5D Theater.

1-91.jpg

1-100.jpg

1-101.jpg

1-102.jpg

1-97.jpg

1-98.jpg

1-92.jpg

So you had another refreshing break back home.Keep the log coming ![:)]

Regarding the route to kodai, you should have asked for the details here.
Posting the details here for the benefit of other prospective travellers.

Perumbavoor- Kothamangalam- Adimali- Anachal- Kunchithanni-Rajakkad-Rajakaumari-Poopara-Bodimettu-Bodi-Theni-battalgundu-Kodai

Within Kerala, it’s just a couple of kilometres between Kunchithanni and Rajakkad the roads are a bit broken.

I would have suggested you to take a day halt at Munnar and then take the beautiful Munnar-Poopara on your way to Kodai. By doing so, you will enjoy Munnar in rains and avoid all the confusion to get to Poopara as it is a straight forward and beautiful stretch.

BTW, you seem to have missed this beautiful Church, just after Rajakumari after Rajakkad.

Thread Starter #11

Regarding the route to kodai, you should have asked for the details here.
Posting the details here for the benefit of other prospective travellers.
Perumbavoor- Kothamangalam- Adimali- Anachal- Kunchithanni-Rajakkad-Rajakaumari-Poopara-Bodimettu-Bodi-Theni-battalgundu-Kodai

I would have suggested you to take a day halt at Munnar and then take the beautiful Munnar-Poopara on your way to Kodai. By doing so, you will enjoy Munnar in rains and avoid all the confusion to get to Poopara as it is a straight forward and beautiful stretch.

BTW, you seem to have missed this beautiful Church, just after Rajakumari after Rajakkad.
Thanks Manoj,

I took the same route as you mentioned, "Perumbavoor- Kothamangalam- Adimali- Anachal- Kunchithanni-Rajakkad-Rajakaumari-Poopara-Bodimettu-Bodi-Theni-battalgundu-Kodai". Road to Kunchithanni-Rajakkad-Rajakaumari is partially broken.

But, while returning we took, Kumaly-Kuttikanam route. This route is much better. The roads are much better.

Yes, I missed that Church. I did not explore Munnar, so will definitely keep in the future explorations.

Thread Starter #12
Re: Fortuner's Days Out: (Series 2) To Kodaikanal

We did little shopping at Kurinji Andavar Temple. We found this Guy watching and staying around the vehicle.

1_c1.jpg

1_c2.jpg

1-99.jpg

We found this Bison while returning from 7D Theater.

1-103.jpg

1-104.jpg

Thread Starter #13

Do not get scared, attaching a photo at 7D. After the 7D Theater, we had dinner at a restaurant near bus stand. Some team members did not like the food instead had hot tea. We returned to hotel, and parked the vehicle very near to entrance. We informed all members to be ready at restaurant around 8.30am, and must proceed to Berijam without delay.

at7D.jpg

1_d1.jpg

Thread Starter #14

Adding few Photos of
Chettiyar Park
Kurinji Andavar Temple
7D Theater (Image Courtesy Trip Advisor).

5f5f96e221fee78568ec8daee175f851.37.jpg

kurinji-andavar-temple.jpg

7d-cinema-kodaikanal.jpg

As usual, we got up early. Wow! What a Scene in Morning. Check the below photo.

IMG_4534.jpg

Thread Starter #15

5 Visit to Moair Point, and then to Berijam Lake

The forest department is also facilitating vehicle service to the lake. Entry ticket fee for each person is 100Rs. The total duration of this service will be around 120Minutes. Their Voyager vehicle (Mahindra) can carry 16 passengers. It is better to visit the Berijam Lake on forest department vehicle. Some trees are fall on road and only narrow space to move vehicle at certain spots. There are chance to scratch the vehicle when making side to other vehicles. We took the first Service in the first bus (bus no.1). The driver cum guide (young guy) is very kind and informative. He explained the main attraction points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX-GdtVytT8

Google MAP, way to Berijam.

berjim.jpg

Top Bottom