Konkan Trip in Chevrolet Spark

Thread Starter #1
Its been close to 2 years since I am a member of TAI and I wasn't aware that there is a Travelogue section in TAI (How sad). Its a really wonderful section and I decided to wrote up my experience as well. Its my first Travelogue hence please ignore any mistakes. I will try to give as much necessary details of my trip as possible.

Its been close to 3 years I was living in Pune and close to 4 years for my parents trying to get me married.

Yup 4 yrs. Long time.

Finally that happened in Aug 2015 and my wife who's from Noida came with me to live in Pune.

After the rains, came Oct and there was a long weekend thanks to Bapu's Bday.

It had been my long time desire that I would visit Tarkarli with my wife only after I would get married. It was 3 years that wish remained unfulfilled. Hence I decided its time to complete that wish [;)].

Prior to that I had been to Nagaon and Diveagarh and I was pretty much aware on how the Konkan landscapes would be. Only later I came to know how wrong I was.

My wife being new was not aware of these landscapes and I told her it would be wonderful.

So we planned our trip for Ganpatipule and Malvan Tarkarli. One of my friend suggested to add Karde Beach in Dapoli as well as its beautiful as well. So I finally made plans for the entire trip and did all the bookings online. My 4 year 2 month old Chevrolet Spark was my ride for the entire trip.

Day 1 - Pune to Karde Beach, Dapoli

Total Distance - 200 kms

Our target for the day was to reach our hotel on Karde Beach asap. We planned to start by 5:00 PM on Thu after coming back from office so that by the time its light we could cross the Tamhini Ghats. Since I had been to Diveagar I knew that once the Ghats were crossed the landscape would become plain and it wouldn't be that hectic to travel even at night. That's where my assumption was so so wrong.

The start itself got delayed. My wife got stuck at her work and we got late. We finally started at 6.30 PM from Pashan in Pune. As soon as we crossed Pirangut, heavy rains started. By the time we reached Tamhini Ghats, the sun had set completely and it was pitch black along with rains. I thought for a moment whether to proceed or not. My wife looked a bit worried but I told her since the rainy season was almost getting over the rains would also stop after sometime.

After 15 mins the rains died down a little and we started to cross the Tamhini Ghat at 7.30 PM. It was my first drive in Ghats at night and even I was a bit scared too. However I soon got used to driving even with heavy rains. I just needed to make sure that I follow the leftmost white line and always keep the car right of the line. There was no traffic at all and we kept moving steadily. We reached Raigad MIDC at 9:00 PM and I was really happy that we crossed the ghats without any problem.

We rested for 5 mins and started for Mangaon. We reached Mangaon at 9.30 PM and decided to take dinner. We had already covered half the way in 3 hours and I thought we will be able to cover the next 100 kms in 1 and half hours since we had crossed the ghat section. We finished our simple dinner in 45 mins and again started at 10.15 PM.

We were driving at around 80 kmph on NH66. The road was very good and there was not much traffic. However majority of the traffic were of trucks and sometimes our speed slowed down. Now this part of the road even I was travelling for the first time so this was where we made our first mistake. We missed the right turn to Mhapral and moved ahead. Since there was traffic from opposite end we decided to go ahead and take the next right turn. We finally took the right turn to Mahad and got lost in the little town. It took us some time to crossed Mahad and finally we got to SH96. I was tired to drive in the small lanes and bylanes of Mahad and decided to take a bit of rest. It was already 11 PM and we still had 70 kms to go. I started again and that's when we encountered the most dangerous roads till date.

After a bit of driving I could make out that there were mountains to my left and sometimes to my right. It was a ghat section. And it had much more dangerous curves than Tamhini. My wife was sitting very quitely and very worried. But she was making me nervous in any way. Thankfully we didn't encounter any rain there. Slowly and steadily we moved on. My worry was if anything bad happens to my car or us here no one will ever come to know. It was a thick forest. We saw little foxes and rabbits and other animals who were probably sleeping on road and ran away after seeing headlights. We kept moving on and on.

After 1 hour of hardcore mountain terrain driving we finally saw a sign saying (Dapoli-10 kms). I was happy. Google Maps showed another 20-25 kms to go to Karde Beach. The road to Dapoli became smooth and we made good progress. Once we reached Dapoli, we got surprised. Everybody was sleeping. Not even a shop anywhere was open. There were some people sitting and I asked them how far is Karde Beach. They said it will take another 15-20 mins. It was 12:00 AM. I continued without wasting any more time and again encountered Ghats. Now I was really getting tired of the curvy roads and frustrated for the first time and cursing myself to make this journey at night. Even when the distance was showing 2-3 kms to my hotel the Ghat roads just didn't seem to end. I was flabbergasted and wondered just where the hell was the beach [confused].

Just when things couldn't get any better, it again started raining heavily. I calmed down and my wife said good that it was raining when we were just near the hotel. All of a sudden we saw our hotel and went in. Even the hotel staff were sleeping and we wondered whether we would now get room or not. It was still raining heavily. Thankfully my phone was not charged out and I called them up. The owner woke up and answered the call and quickly woke up the staff to take us to our rooms and provided towels and water. It was 12.30 AM and I was really thankful to God that we were able to reach there without any mishaps. After refreshing ourselves we went to sleep [sleep].

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Day 2 - Karde Beach - Ganpatipule

Total Distance - 140 kms

I somehow didn't get much sleep even after that stressful driving. Next Morning I woke up early, went to the balcony and saw this view.

DSC_0478.JPG

DSC_0479.JPG

I was stunned. My wife was still sleeping. I stayed there for sometime to enjoy the view. It was a beautiful pleasant morning with no rains and I was really feeling wonderful. After a while my wife woke up and joined me and we both enjoyed the view. At 8.00 AM, we went to the beach (which was just across the road). The water was so divine, I immediately decided to take bath there. We brought towels and I went in. My wife decided to remain on the beach and she took some snaps. I was feeling amazing and the weather and the water was super refreshing. Also now I was able to see the entire landscape for the first time. The mountains were just besides the sea and it looked beautiful. No wonder we encountered ghats roads even just before we reached our hotel.

DSC_0486.JPG

The Red Spark is my Sparky.

DSC_0487.JPG

DSC_0488.JPG

We came back to hotel and after a quick shower, checked out from the hotel and visit Harnai. Harnai is a fishing village nearby and the snaps were just picturesque. Now I was feeling hungry so we had breakfast of Misal Pav and Tea. We finished our breakfast we started for Ganpatipule via Dapoli.

I did full tank at Dapoli and stated for Ganpatipule. We drove non stop and reached Dabhol. This was where our first pit stop came. The ferry was ready to leave in 10 mins and I asked my wife to get down from the car. My wife had no idea what was happening and she asked me where were we parking the car and how would we go further. I said wait and watch. After she got down I soon took the car on the ferry and my wife was stunned. She never imagined that our car would also be travelling with us on the ferry. I was enjoying her amusement silently as I booked all the required tickets. The weather was absolutely stunning and it was just so tailormade for the trip. The water was blue and everything around us was green. What else one wants.

IMG_20151002_111110879_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151002_111143091.jpg

IMG_20151002_112031370.jpg

In 10 mins the ferry left and we reached the other side in 5 mins. Now the map was showing that the road will go through the Veldur village, but its actually better to take the road on the left. That way one could bypass Veldur Village and Anjanwel. We continued our journey and got engroseed by the most stunning views and landscapes I have seen in India. Putting some snaps.

IMG_20151002_112050001.jpg

IMG_20151002_123840733.jpg

IMG_20151002_123925204.jpg

IMG_20151002_124425187.jpg

IMG_20151002_124431475.jpg

We soon reached Guhaghar. We reached Tavsal Ferry at 1.00 PM and I thought we will reach Ganpatipule by 2.00 PM. However we came to know that the next ferry was at 2.00 PM. So we had to wait for an hour. This was tiring as were were feeling hungry as well. At 2.00 PM we started on our ferry and it was a good 10-15 mins ride to Jaigad. As soon as Jaigad arrives, we quickly drove towards Ganpatipule. We reached Ganpatipule in another 20-30 mins and we started enquiring for food. Since it was a long weekend, Ganpatipule was packed with people and in most of the hotels the food was over. We had planned on having lunch at the famous Hotel Samrat but the queue wait was over an hour. Dissapointed we finally ate at a some restaurant nearby. I tried Malvani food and it turned out to be good. My wife tried Chicken Rice and that was pretty good too. We ate hungrily and the plates were over in a jiffy.

After lunch we checked into our hotel. Afterwards we decided since its already 4.00 PM there was no point in taking rest so we went off to the Ganpatipule Beach. We visited the temple quickly and took a long walk on the beach. It was just beautiful and both me and my wife were very happy. We took lot of snaps on the beach.

IMG_20151002_170144947_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151002_170411321.jpg

IMG_20151002_172604086_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151003_141153.JPG

Suddenly just after the sunset we saw some clouds on the horizon and we quickly made our way back to our car. By the time we reached our hotel it was already raining and we decided to get some rest before dinner. Unfortunately we were so exhausted that we slept straight away and when we woke up, it was 1.00 AM. Surprisingly we still were not feeling hungry due to the late lunch and we thought lets wake up early next day and have heavy breakfast.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Day 3 - Ganpatipule - Malvan

Total Distance - 160 kms

Next day we woke up at 7.00 AM and quickly freshen up. We checked out of the Hotel and head straight to Ratnagiri. We took the Aarey Warey Road which drives along the coastline. It was an amazing drive along the coast. Kajirbhati Beach is probably the most beautiful virgin beach out there. We reached Ratnagiri by 8.00 AM and had heavy breakfast. We took some Bhakarwadi and chips for the road and started off by 9.00 AM. Again we hit SH4 and this time there were no ferry to cross. Again the road went on alongside the beach and drive was very beautiful. After crossing 10 bridges we reached Chivala Beach in Malvan by 12.00 PM. The first sight that was greeted was amazing. The Chivala Beach was a crescent moon line beach and it was just inviting us. We quickly checked into the hotel went straight to the beach for a swim. The water was crystal clear there and even when my body was fully submerged in water, I was able to see my feet. We swam and bathe for over an hour and had lot of fun. We came back to hotel and ordered Malvan Thali with Pomfret fish and that was beautiful. We came back to our hotel and slept. In the evening we went to Tarkarli Beach but by the time we reach there it was already sunset. We also found out that lot of activities too happen there but we didn't had much knowledge so we were not able to plan that. We decided that we would do that next time. We came back to hotel, went for a walk at Chivala Beach again and came back for dinner and slept.

IMG_20151003_080704355.jpg

IMG_20151003_081417932_HDR.jpg

IMG_20151003_124458502.jpg

IMG_20151003_132931255.jpg

IMG_20151003_181245225.jpg

Thread Starter #4
Day 4 - Malvan - Pune

Total Distance - 350 kms

We woke up in the morning early as our plan was to start by 10.00 AM. We again went to take bath at 8.30 AM and came back after half an hour. Got ready quickly and again had heavy breakfast. Now since we were coming to Pune directly, the plan was to go to Kolhapur and then take the Pune - Bangalore Highway to Pune. The roads were awesome and we made steady progress. Just before Kolhapur we crossed the ghats. The view of the ghats there was amazing and we thought those ghats also became the final joy of our trip.

IMG_20151004_121509662.jpg

IMG_20151004_122125414.jpg

IMG_20151004_122131977.jpg

We reached Kolhapur by 2.30 and had lunch.

By 3.30 PM we started for Pune and once we touched NH48, we were constantly driving at 100-120. The traffic even though was not light didn't bother us much and we reached Karjat Toll by 6.00 PM. After that we encountered the city traffic and we finally reached home by 7.00 PM.

We calculated and found out that we drove close to 900 kms in 4 days [clap]. My wife certified me as a good and trustworthy driver [glasses]. An awesome trip coming to an end [drive].

Our super companion on road:

970908_10151791135740561_605990023_n.jpg

Thread Starter #6
Nice travelogue! This route is really terrific (especially the Arey-warey road).
At Tarkarli, the island near Devbagh beach is a great place for water sports.
Yes.. I didnt had any idea during that time what activities one can do in Tarkarli.. That I came to know later..

Next time I plan to go directly to Tarkarli.. Spend an entire day there for everything the place has to offer..

Top Bottom