Munnar: Fresh Air, Green Hills and Some Birds

Thread Starter #1
The ‘God’s Own Country’ this year experienced one of the harshest Summers of the recent past. Palakkad - my home town, saw a maximum temperature of 41 degrees. The Summer Showers though came in late, did provide some respite from the scorching heat. On the 12th of May I had an engagement at Kochi. Since the Rain Gods started showing some mercy already, I thought of driving up to Rajakkad near Munnar for a much needed break from the blistering days.

This is a Photologue on my recent drive to Munnar for the rains, the drive along the hills and of course some birding. Though I have visited this ‘heaven on earth’ multiple times, it was different this time around as I had my little angel – my little baby girl- with me. Staying wasn’t any of my concerns as I have a close relative of mine living near Rajakkad – home away from home kind.

After having spent a couple of days at home, thought of venturing out. The plan was NOT to visit any crowded usual picnic spots but some laid back drive along the Tea gardens and the winding roads. Could manage to squeeze in a couple of mornings and start off as early as 6.00 am- only for sheer driving pleasure, Nature and some photography. [:)]

A teaser to start with and more coming up !
Shot just before ‘Echo Point’ after Mattupetty Dam !

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Munnar : Fresh air, Green hills and some Birds

Day 1:
Munnar - Marayur stretch :
‘Scorp’ parked on the beautiful stretch between Eravikulam and Marayur.

I took the Pallivasal –Munnar- Eravikulam route and thought of driving through the Chinnar forest and then return. But, thanks to the election season, the heavy traffic within the Munnar town didn’t give the momentum and was then put off by the 1.5 hour traffic jam at Eravikulam region. A few idiots parking their vehicles on the road meant the inevitable traffic block. By the time the jam eased out, the Sun started beating down in full glory and hence I didn’t see any point in going up to even Marayur town. Though it was a shortened affair, I could capture some lovely but common birds in the region.
Red-whiskered Bulbul :
One of the most common birds around. Their loud calls are easily understood. These are more often heard than seen, especially in the mornings when they call from the top of trees.

Oriental Magpie Robin: [Male]
Oriental Maggie-Robin male has glossy blue-black upperparts with black long tail is black, with white outer feathers.

Oriental Magpie Robin: [female]

Female is dull dark grey instead black on the same body parts.

Oriental Magpie Robin: [Juvenile]
Though I have seen many males and females, a juvenile was very special and the first time spotting.Juvenile resembles female, but the scaly head and upperparts, and mottled brown throat and breast.

More to follow ![:)]

Last edited:

The name "Munnar" itself is enough for me to have a look into the thread [:D]

BTW, Excellent and sharp set of pics so far [clap]

Thread Starter #4

The name "Munnar" itself is enough for me to have a look into the thread.
Thanks for the visit AppU and hope you aren't disappointed with the kind of attachment for this mysterious part of our country !
BTW, Excellent and sharp set of pics so far
If you find these sharp, please do find them in original here, am sure you won't be disappointed.

Anachal-Munnar stretch: The unexplored !!

61.jpg

The short stretch from Anachal to Munnar, though not quite popular among visitors, does offer some nice opportunities to capture the green hills.
62.jpg

Hi Manoj, Nice picturesque travelogue, and as @Appu mentioned sharp pics.

I never miss your's & @Highway Ranger's threads, whenever updated.

Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #6

Hi Manoj, Nice picturesque travelogue, and as @Appu mentioned sharp pics.
Thanks Vinod.
There are some more nicer images. Won't stretch this thread much, will try and wind it up by tomorrow.
I never miss your's & @Highway Ranger's threads, whenever updated.
[embarass]

Thread Starter #7

Rajakumari Deivamatha church:

The other day, I was on my way to explore my favourite Poopara-Munnar Stretch and I saw this beautiful Church. Spent some 20 minutes in and around the church. Quite impressed with the whole ambiance/setting. Clicked a few pictures and soon drove past Poopara towards Devikulam hills !

Thread Starter #8
After having passed through Poopara my next stop was at Anayirangal which is some 22km away from Munnar. I had been here multiple times mainly on my way towards ‘Gap road’ view point. I wanted to go down to the reservoir but the gate was closed at 4.30 pm. Took a picture from the road and proceeded towards ‘Gap Road’ and then to Devikulam hills.
66.jpg

Thread Starter #9
70.jpg

The 'Gap Road' had zero visibility, hence didn't stop there. Then soon I started the descend through what for me was the best of the hill views in the entire trip. Through the cloud cover the golden light diffused in and lit up the beautiful green hills at places giving it a dreamy feel.
71.jpg

Thread Starter #10
It started getting dark as I was getting close to Munnar driving along the Devikulam hills. Clicked a few on the way and took the Pallivasal-Anachal -Kunchithanni route and got back home by 7.00. It was definitely an evening well spent, even without capturing a single bird.

Thread Starter #11
Birding opportunities along the Munnar-Top Station stretch:

The other day, I left home quite early for birding mainly to see if I am lucky in the stretch beyond Munnar all the way until the top station. I was quite relieved to see no sign of any rush beyond Echo Point and absolutely peaceful after Kundala Dam just after the sun has come out.

Pied Bushchats should come under the most common birds in the region. I happened to see a lot of these at multiple location in and around Munnar.

Male:
_DSC4142.jpg
Female:

Thread Starter #13
Let me wind this thread up with a few birds – which for me are the best of the lot. Let the pictures do the talking. All were spotted along the stretch close to Top Station.

Brown Shrike (juvenile)

Top Bottom