A Trip of 3116 Kms in UP and MP

Thread Starter #1
Friends,
Had a pleasure trip of 3116 KMs done recently. Visited Agra, Gwalior, Jhansi, Orchha and Varanasi. Like to share with you the details.
Started from my home in north Calcutta at around eleven at the evening on 15/10/15. Stopped for lunch at Hotel Hindustan Dhaba.
There was no traffic jam at Panagarh but soon found that the roads were under construction at most of the places till Asansol. Several new road over bridges were under construction. Only one side of the highway was open. It was effectively a single lane road and had to fall behind the trucks as overtaking was impossible.

Planned to fill petrol for my over ten year old Tata Indigo (GLX model/MPFI) car from the petrol pump at Indo American More (road crossing) at Durgapur. It is a HP COCO bunk and is ISO certified. But to my surprise it did not have petrol. Their stocks had run out, they said. Had to fill from a large Indianoil outlet at Asansol, known to the locals as Jubilee pump.

There was a long line of stranded trucks at the border with Jharkhand but followed a bus which went across the divider and took the wrong side of the road. Crossed the Barakar river and entered Jharkhand. But again there was road construction work going on and had to move cautiously till Govindpur, from where Dhanbad bound road diverges to left.

This signpost came up at 04-40 AM.
DSC_0027.JPG

The road continued to be broken. Not deep potholes. Only the top surface is peeled off, giving the car continuous jerks.
The road improved somewhere before Barhi town, where Hazaribagh and Ranchi bound road branches off towards left. Right goes towards Nawada and Bihar Sharif.

Incidentally I had to defer my trip by few hours as it was election day at Bihar. All the districts of Gaya, Jehanabad, Aurangabad and Rohtas, through which my road (NH-2) passed, were scheduled to hold their elections on that very day, on 16/10/15.
Though I called up a Bihar police official on the day prior to my journey and was assured that the highway (NH-2) will be kept open, I was not much convinced. I even stopped at a roadside tea stall some two KM before the Bihar border and watched the vehicular movement for maybe five or ten minutes. But no one stopped me at the border or asked anything, although there was heavy presence of security personnel on the road. Possibly the presence of two female members (wife and daughter) helped. While driving I could even see people lining up at the roadside polling centers for casting their votes. Traffic was possibly less than usual. Very few private vehicles were on the road but surprisingly truck traffic was moving freely.

It is only when we were going to cross the bridge on river Son, I was once stopped at a checkpoint by two young fellows in uniforms. They opened the rear door, where my daughter was sleeping occupying the back seat, took hold of a plastic shopping bag containing some dry food and looked inside. I was asked to open the luggage compartment, which contained two suitcases and one small plastic bag containing some spare footwear. They opened none of them and I was allowed to leave in less than two minutes. They did not even bother to see my driving license or any other ID.

At 07-45 AM were at this place.
DSC_0035.JPG

At quarter past nine stopped at this hotel for breakfast. It was at Rohtas district of Bihar.
DSC_0041.JPG

Benaras bypass road was free from traffic. Had to remain cautious about the unruly bikers throughout this trip. Reached Allahabad bypass road at half past one.
DSC_0045.JPG

DSC_0046.JPG

Beautiful road. The speedo of even my over ten year old car was rock solid at this road. It was the average speed throughout the Allahabad bypass.
WP_20151022_001.jpg

The Kanpur road flyover was also good. The lights of the day was just becoming to fade.
DSC_0051.JPG

Unfortunately the progress was not so good after crossing Kanpur. Numerous tolls and consequent traffic jams hampered smooth progress. And the notorious Agra traffic jam was also caused delays.

Stopped almost at eleven at the evening at a hotel called the Hotel Blue Heaven. For only Rs 1600/- (inclusive of taxes) I was given an AC room. Located right on NH-2, the hotel had basement parking and free Wi-Fi.
After having dinner at this hotel, we fast became asleep.
This is the summary of the first day. Thanks for reading. I shall complete my travelogue soon.
Regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.

Friends,
Had a pleasure trip of 3116 KMs done recently. Visited Agra, Gwalior, Jhansi, Orchha and Varanasi. Like to share with you the details.

I shall complete my travelogue soon.
Congrats rahul4640. Keep coming.

RPM in the following photo is slightly on the higher side, isn't it?

Thread Starter #4
RPM in the following photo is slightly on the higher side, isn't it?
No idea but perhaps so, as you notice it, though my car is an older generation model having a slightly more powerful engine than the modern day versions of the same models. Is it due to the fact that my car is now over ten year old? Or may be that I kept the windows open, as the climate was very comfortable, with lots of air gushing in from the windows?
Rahul, I might have missed it. When did you start from Kolkata and when did you reach Agra
I started from my home at Calcutta on 15th evening, reaching Agra the following day.

Now to continue ahead, we planned to stay two full days in Agra. We (Me, wife and daughter) decided that we shall visit Dayalbagh temple, Sikandra (Akbar’s tomb) and Fatehpur Sikri on the first day. Took my car for the local sightseeing. I did not have any GPS device in my car, though had a smartphone which helped. And I had took a printout of Google Maps showing all places I should be visiting.
Here is the view of the main highway from my hotel’s reception, as seen by me, as soon we came out of our rooms.
DSC_0052.JPG

A view of our hotel. It also has a basement car parking, visible at the left.
DSC_0056.JPG

Locating Dayalbagh temple was very easy. It is possibly less than a KM from the main highway, properly marked by signboards. Though there may be a good car parking somewhere in the vicinity of it, I was asked to park on the main road for a fee of Rs 50/-. There was even a small but nice eatery opposite it, which served delicious Dhosas and Idlis, which helped us to finish our breakfast.
DSC_0058.JPG

DSC_0061.JPG

The other portion of the temple.
DSC_0063.JPG

Beautiful craftsmanship in marble.
DSC_0062.JPG

After completing our breakfast we proceeded towards Sikandra. It has a very spacious & excellent parking arrangement. Spotted this building of Mughal era right from there, though had no idea what it was.
DSC_0064.JPG

The main entrance gate.
DSC_0067.JPG

The main building.
DSC_0070.JPG

I think these are called Calligraphy. Beautiful examples of it.
DSC_0071.JPG

DSC_0083.JPG

Excellent artwork.
DSC_0081.JPG

Beautiful jali works.
DSC_0085.JPG

Daughter was happy.
DSC_0073.JPG

Wife and daughter in the parking area.
DSC_0065.JPG

After visiting Sikandra we went to Fatehpur Sikri. There are innumerable pictures of this place available on the net, so am not showing more pictures of this place. Only few picture, one picture showing Buland Darwajah.
DSC_0087.JPG

Anothr picture showing the tomb of Seikh Selim Chisti.
DSC_0091.JPG

The last picture showing a portion of the interior of the of the tomb.
DSC_0094.JPG

After visiting Fatehpur Sikri we were hungry. We noticed a decent restaurant near the toll post and stopped for lunch. IIRC, it was called Hotel Pradhan Place. They offered non-veg dishes which we liked. Afterwards we returned to our hotel, at around half past four in the afternoon.
After my return to the hotel I started preparing for a nice sleep and did not step outside the hotel even for once. My wife and daughter decided to be more adventurous and went on their own to some place called Sadar Bazar for some shopping.
This is the summary of my visit during the second day. Hope you liked it.
Regards,
Rahul

Thread Starter #5
Please excuse me as I forgot to mention that Sri Sanku Chakraborty, who is also a member of this forum, called me up on my first day of stay at Agra. He was driving from Calcutta to Jaipur with his wife and daughter and needed a place to halt and rest for the night. When I told him that my hotel would be right on his way, he stopped there for the night. I had the privilege of knowing him and his wife from earlier automotive meets, hence it was really a nice feeling meeting them once again. They moved towards Jaipur the next day.

One other thing I like to mention here. While returning back, Sri Sanku Chakraborty decided to drive non-stop from Jaipur to Calcutta. He made the trip in less than twenty six hours, in spite of the fact that his daughter is possibly only three years old (may be even less than that). I salute his tremendous endurance and driving ability.

Early in the morning on the next day we left our hotel at six O’clock, with the intention of visiting Tajmahal and the Agra Fort. I had no GPS device in my car but both these laces being the prime tourist destinations, were all properly marked with large street side signs. Soon I parked my car at the “West Gate Parking Area”. From there we took a battery powered cart for the last the five hundred meters, paying ten rupees for each three of us.

The main entrance.
DSC_0101.JPG

Wah Taj!
DSC_0106.JPG

Some more pictures.
DSC_0117.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

My daughter.
DSC_0129.JPG

Mehtab Bagh, on the opposite bank of the river, which we visited later at the evening.
DSC_0139.JPG

From the Taj we went to visit the Agra fort. It is not at all far and finding the parking area was easy. Please allow me to show you a picture of the unsung hero standing there, my over ten year old Indigo car (1405 CC, MPFI/GLX model), driven almost 150,000 KM. Like all other previous occasions, it performed beautifully this time too. A tyre puncture and a headlight bulb replacement were all the attention it needed.
DSC_0145.JPG

Some pictures taken during my visit.
DSC_0146.JPG

DSC_0151.JPG

DSC_0154.JPG

DSC_0157.JPG

DSC_0158.JPG

DSC_0160.JPG

DSC_0165.JPG

DSC_0177.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

DSC_0185.JPG

DSC_0189.JPG

DSC_0200.JPG

DSC_0204.JPG

Me, my daughter and the Taj.
DSC_0170.JPG

One more picture of us.
DSC_0171.JPG

After vising these two places, we found that the weather also had become considerably hot. We returned to our hotel, had some food and took rest. In the afternoon we went to visit Mehtab Bagh. Located just across the river, this place gave us an excellent view of the Tajmahal. The ticket counter.
DSC_0213.JPG

A view of the Taj.
DSC_0207.JPG

No idea what these four gentlemen at the left in black dresses were doing but they were taken away by the security forces present there.
DSC_0211.JPG

Thanks for reading this post. Please feel free to comment.
Regards,
Rahul

Please excuse me as I forgot to mention that Sri Sanku Chakraborty, who is also a member of this forum, called me up on my first day of stay at Agra. He was driving from Calcutta to Jaipur with his wife and daughter and needed a place to halt and rest for the night. When I told him that my hotel would be right on his way, he stopped there for the night. I had the privilege of knowing him and his wife from earlier automotive meets, hence it was really a nice feeling meeting them once again. They moved towards Jaipur the next day.

One other thing I like to mention here. While returning back, Sri Sanku Chakraborty decided to drive non-stop from Jaipur to Calcutta. He made the trip in less than twenty six hours, in spite of the fact that his daughter is possibly only three years old (may be even less than that). I salute his tremendous endurance and driving ability.

Early in the morning on the next day we left our hotel at six O’clock, with the intention of visiting Tajmahal and the Agra Fort. I had no GPS device in my car but both these laces being the prime tourist destinations, were all properly marked with large street side signs. Soon I parked my car at the “West Gate Parking Area”. From there we took a battery powered cart for the last the five hundred meters, paying ten rupees for each three of us.

The main entrance.
View attachment 183329

Wah Taj!
View attachment 183330

Some more pictures.
View attachment 183331

View attachment 183332

View attachment 183333

View attachment 183334

View attachment 183335

My daughter.
View attachment 183336

Mehtab Bagh, on the opposite bank of the river, which we visited later at the evening.
View attachment 183337

From the Taj we went to visit the Agra fort. It is not at all far and finding the parking area was easy. Please allow me to show you a picture of the unsung hero standing there, my over ten year old Indigo car (1405 CC, MPFI/GLX model), driven almost 150,000 KM. Like all other previous occasions, it performed beautifully this time too. A tyre puncture and a headlight bulb replacement were all the attention it needed.
View attachment 183338

View attachment 183339

View attachment 183340

View attachment 183341

View attachment 183342

View attachment 183343

View attachment 183344

View attachment 183345

View attachment 183348

View attachment 183349

View attachment 183350

View attachment 183351

View attachment 183352

View attachment 183353

View attachment 183354

View attachment 183355

View attachment 183346

One more picture of us.
View attachment 183347

After vising these two places, we found that the weather also had become considerably hot. We returned to our hotel, had some food and took rest. In the afternoon we went to visit Mehtab Bagh. Located just across the river, this place gave us an excellent view of the Tajmahal. The ticket counter.
View attachment 183358

A view of the Taj.
View attachment 183356

No idea what these four gentlemen at the left in black dresses were doing but they were taken away by the security forces present there.
View attachment 183357

Regards,
Rahul
Rahul, I have already requested Sanku the very day he returned, to upload his log and epic non stop drive from Jaipur to Kolkata. Though I discourage him and anyone from doing these non stop 26 hours drive, nevertheless its an achievement which deserves huge applaud. If he does not do we will boycott him[;)].
Sanku is known by his handle name "SwiftKolkata"

Rahul, Please carry on with your log

Last edited:

The main entrance.
View attachment 183329

Wah Taj!
View attachment 183330

Some more pictures.
View attachment 183331

View attachment 183332

View attachment 183333

View attachment 183334

View attachment 183335

My daughter.
View attachment 183336

View attachment 183337

View attachment 183338

View attachment 183339

View attachment 183340

View attachment 183341

View attachment 183342

View attachment 183343

View attachment 183344

View attachment 183345

View attachment 183348

View attachment 183349

View attachment 183350

View attachment 183351

View attachment 183352

View attachment 183353

View attachment 183354

View attachment 183355

View attachment 183346

One more picture of us.
View attachment 183347

View attachment 183358

A view of the Taj.
View attachment 183356

View attachment 183357

Regards,
Rahul
Rahul Da very Nice travelouge with details and lovely pics.Its my pleasure to meet with you at Agra and once again thanks for your Help.
@Chandranath Da pls dont boycott me[cry]

Awesome narration Rahul Da and beautiful photographs too [clap]. Waiting for the remaining part of the logs.

Its good to hear that you and Sanku both have a mini meet at Agra also.[:)]

Thread Starter #11
We left Agra at around quarter past six on 19/10/2015 in the morning. Our destination was Gwalior. As I said earlier, I did not have any GPS device in my car but my daughter’s phone helped me a lot in selecting the correct directions. It even helped us to locate our hotel in Gwalior.

In the early morning the road was free from traffic.
DSC_0216.JPG

Soon we approached the highway.
DSC_0215.JPG

Gwalior is 95 KMs only, this board said.
DSC_0219.JPG

The ravines of river Chambal.
DSC_0224.JPG

Chambal River Bridge. Could see that a new bridge is also being built alongside the old one.
DSC_0228.JPG

Reached my hotel. It was really a budget hotel, named Hotel Surbhi. For the price they offered, I liked it. Though it was far from the airport and the railway station and was located on a busy market type area, it served good foods. Their rates were reasonable too. For only Rs 1375/- (all inclusive), I was offered an AC room, both the room and the bed being large enough for all three of us. I had previously read good reviews of this hotel in different sites on the net. The staffs were also courteous in their service. And last but not the least, the room and the corridor was spotlessly clean. On the negative side, it was far both from the station and the airport, hence locating it could always be a problem. They did not have a restaurant but rooms could be ordered and devoured directly at the rooms. Wi-Fi connection was poor at the uppermost floors. It does not have a dedicated car parking of their own, though the owner encourages all boarders to park their cars at his sprawling residence located just a block away, which has got adequate room for parking, the house being securely walled and complete with round the clock security.

A view of the road in front of our hotel.
DSC_0234.JPG

There was a “Kachori” selling shop named “S S Kachoriwallah” just down the road (not in the picture). I wondered why they had so many satisfied customers. Next time I visit Gwalior I shall surely be eating Kachoris from that shop.

I visited Gwalior once at past, though it was over thirty years ago. But this time I wished to visit only two places there, I. e; the Jai Vilas Palace and the fort. I was told it being a Monday, the palace was closed for visitors. We had to be content with only visiting the fort.

It was nice to see that one has to stop on the narrow road leading to the fort. The security asks his counterpart on the other side of the narrow road whether there is any vehicle approaching from the other side before allowing one to proceed. Nice arrangement considering the narrow road, I must say. Only if the authorities in our own state could adopt similar measures on the hellishly steeper and narrower road leading to Sandakphu.

Some pictures of the fort.
WP_20151019_001.jpg

WP_20151019_004.jpg

WP_20151019_005.jpg

WP_20151019_006.jpg

Nice stone carvings.
WP_20151019_007.jpg

Sas Bahu Temple
WP_20151019_010.jpg

WP_20151019_011.jpg

Teli Ki Temple.
WP_20151019_013.jpg

The light and sound show being completed at half past eight at the evening, we returned back to our hotel to finish our dinner and go to the bed early, with the intention of visiting Orchha the next day.
Thanks for reading. Please feel free to ask any questions or comments.

Thread Starter #12
Friends,
The next day I drove to Orchha via Jhansi. Afterwards on that very same day at the evening by nine I reached Benaras. After staying there for next day I left for home, starting from Benaras by 08-00 AM, reaching home by 10-00 Hrs at the evening. Heavy Puja rush at Asansol & Durgapur took more driving time that anticipated.
Thanks all. That is the end of my travelogue.

I intend to visit Varanasi in 1st week of February(subject to leave approval). Since you have been in this route number of times, your views will be of immense help in planning for same.

I shall be travelling with wife and 8 yr old son. Being 1st timer in this route i like to restrict speed within 80-90 kmph in open stretches.

My road experiences till date are number of visits to mandarmani/digha, with 2 breaks atleast. My initial plan is like, reach dankuni toll plaza around 5:00 hrs, then govindpur around 9:30 hrs, Dhobi by 14:00 hrs and mohania around 16:30 hrs. Being in February, i think fog will restrict progress in early morning and dusk. After govindpur, places where breaks can be taken specially for food. Like yours, my car is petrol one, so suggested refueling points.

Top Bottom