Trip To Nilgiris

Thread Starter #1
My sis and her kids has come home for pooja holidays. Decided to go out. chennai, bangalore and ECR, velankanni, pondicherry were choosen. Mom and dad were not intrested. they prferred to stay home.

Finally decided on ooty. plan was to leave by 5pm on 21st. things got postponed to 10pm due to office work. finally got ready by 9.30. did tank full and hit the road by 10.15 pm.

number of persons: 5 and loads of luggage
vechile: tata safari
date of journey: october 21,22,23.

Traffice was moderate and was sparse after chengalpattu. maintained speeds of 80 to 120. had first break at kallakurichi. the next break at bhavani.

reached avinsahi by 5.30 there was no rain and the climate is chill. had a conversation with tavera driver. there was a lot of traffic in kottagiri and connor road.

slept for an hour and started from avinsahi by 6.45. decided to go via geddhai dam road.

a few kms on avinashi-annur road take left to reach karamadi- then ask for vellingadu- thoolampalayam. or ask for canada dam and pillor dam.

the road till thoolampalayma was okay- good- awesome in patches good for speeds till 80.

in thoolampalayam village ask for canada dam road. There worst awaited us.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
There was a bridge construction going on and the tarmac was worst and there was a deep slush for few 100m.

I was at the receving end from mom. we decided to back off and return back. But as it was already time, a few good hearted local peoples said we have tractors and we will help if the vechile gets stuck.

backed off a few meters to get momentum, reved till 3000rpm and let off the clucth, the vechile waded through the slush. wait of bit of zig zig moments.

then there was a few hairpain bends and suddenly all i can is stones, boulders and rocks. carefully negotiated the 2km broken tarmac and was at the first check post. there were already few bikers waiting in the line.

the forest guards denied permission as there was moment on naxals and the police team is on the search. but after a lot of request, the vechile was checked thourghly and they let us in.

the road was okay. After a few kilometers, there was a patrol vechile with commandos and they stopped and enquired us. after a breif explaination, they allowed us.

the gave us a number. if we happen to see any people inside the forests, they asked us to call immediately.

they journey was pleasant and weather is awesome. it took us 40 minutes for us to reach mulli-pillur dam checkpost.

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
The drive was through green and all green. it was nature at is best. the whole surrounding was mesmerizing.

The kids and entire family was peeping out of the window. The driver has to be careful and should not be tempted to look at the surroundings.

the wind was hustling and overall. the tiredness vanished away. We got down to a small stream of water and washed our faces. the feeling was like never before.

Attachments

pravin1987 hope you enjoyed the awesome route, I request you to upload lots of pics.
You were indeed lucky to get through the check post

Thread Starter #5
There was a checking again in the mulli-pillor check post. We started our journey via 43 hair bends to manjoor. The climate was awesome.

This stretch was known for it tusker crossing. as the name obligies, we saw elephant dung all through the way.

We found a lot of birds. i do not know about the names but there was lot of birds. we were able to lizards, frogs, wild pigs. there was lot of deers on the road.

The road was very narrow and we have to get through two water crossings. the water reached upto the side foot steps.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
pravin1987 hope you enjoyed the awesome route, I request you to upload lots of pics.
You were indeed lucky to get through the check post
More pics on the the way

there was no soul on the way to canada dam. we were the only vechile. the road was full of life and nature. frogs, birds and deers. the climate changed from chilling to foggy.

the last few kilomteres to geddhai dam has nearly no visiblity. when we reached the canada dam, there was a group of police with arms. this time they just asked from when you are coming and check the vechile documents and let us go through

had tea at kundah and left to ooty. ooty was like Chennai T nagar. it took us 1 hour to exit ooty.

it was like a four state meet with vehcile from all four states. happend to see karima, pulsar, ktm. benelli. hardley davidson. cars from humble 800's to audi, benz.

had lunch at quality resutrant and left to mudumalai via kalhatty. the 36 haird bend road turned to be a clif drag racing road with everyone trying to overtook each other. the result was a innova(KL) was side got brushed with a pajero(TN).

there was a road block. police came and cleared the cars and we were at our lodge wild life inn at bookapuram. room cost was 3000 without food due to holidays. checked in at 5pm and took rest for 2 hour and preapred for a night ride.

Attachments

Thread Starter #8
went for a night safari to moyar. could not see wild animals due to lot of vechile transport. end of day 1.

In the next morning work up early, left for mudumalai safari. the safari has been already booked for the entire day due to lot croud.

we decided to try the forst routes of moyar,sincara and were rewarded with some good sightings

Attachments

Thread Starter #9
the trip to moyar gave us the oppurtunity to see a couple of elephants and lot of deers. literaly 100's of them

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
the day 2 so over and we rested a gudalur. we did not check ooty on the third day as the full of people and no place even to walk.

we bought some chocolate and quickly escaped the traffice. suddenly thengumarahada come into my mind and decided to check it out.

started around 8 from gudalur and reached metupalayam by 10.30. took sathi route. reached bhavanisagar dam- took the route to bannari and deviation showed thengumarhada 25kms.

reached towards the forest check post. forest guard informed that visiting thengumarhada was closed from 2013 no one is allowed inside.

i have visited this place in 2010. it was a barren land with no tarmac with forest on both sides. this forest has bison, deers and a few leopards.

since my dad works in secrtiat, we decided to check with DFO office in bhavanisagar. the in charge arrived at 12. after a lot of conversation and talking with the officer, we were allowed to go in. but no cameras and no photography as this is a protected place.

we entered the check post. time was around 1pm. the memories of 2010 came back, a barrne land is move a well tarred tarmac.

i asked about the reason for developement, officila said now it's a tiger reserve. it all started in 2013, when tigers were spotted.

the govt took steps and made it to tiger reserve, tarmac was laid for moment of patrol vechiles. officers were given bikes and gypsy. several tribal people were employed by govt for partrolling.

the areas is protected now and it can't be reached from the surrounding areas. govt has relocated leopards from this place as this place aims at tiger conservation. as leopards pray on tiger cubs. all this has a lead to increase in number of 20 tigers in 2 years. 5 females were relocated from other reserves.

we were 7 kms into the forest. we reached a small water hole. the scence was a fest with nearly 100's of deers running in front of us.

there after a few kilometers we spotted a male tiger. it was majestic. the name of the tiger is sultan. it was numberd as 9 and was also tagged. as we saw the tiger official said let us return back.

we obliged and we returnd back and bid good bye to the guards.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
the trip ended with a small walk along the bhavanisagar dam.

kms done: 1523
fuel consumed approx: 120 liters( fuel indicator was near red line as 10 liters reserve)

this may be the parting trip with safari as the family wants a new vechile. we are looking at Tuv 300 T8 closely following the information over the web and soon will decide.

Thanks for reading

this may be the parting trip with safari as the family wants a new vechile. we are looking at Tuv 300 T8 closely following the information over the web and soon will decide.
Congrats pravin1987.
Keep posting. Interestingly few travelogues are progressing. Where exactly this place? Can you include map of this trip.

Why shifting from spacious vehicle to non-spacious vehicle?

Nice travelogue pravin1987.

I went to Red Hills Resort at Emerald last week. On Oct 22 morning, drove from Metupalayam to Ooty via Kotagiri. Traffic was very very less and reached Ooty in 90 minutes. Return I drove from Red Hills Resort yesterday and took the Kundah - Geddai - Mulli - Velliangadu - Karamadai. The 34 (upto Manjor)+ 43 (Manjor to Geddai) hairpin bends are fantastic to drive. But once you cross the last hairpin bend and up to Velliangadu which is approx 24 KM, its terrible. Crossing the 2 check post was easy, no hassles. From Velliangadu and up to Karamadai road is again good. Really don't understand why can't they lay that 24 KM stretch properly ? This will make the entire stretch as a pleasant drive.

Thread Starter #15
Congrats pravin1987.
Keep posting. Interestingly few travelogues are progressing. Where exactly this place? Can you include map of this trip.

Why shifting from spacious vehicle to non-spacious vehicle?
Safari had crossed 1.30 lakhs. feared of the any unexpected issues that may appear although TASS has certified the vehicle is good.

we consider TUV becuase it has air bags, abs and some gimmicks and also at my budget of 10 lakhs.

Bro, i guess u might be aware of the mulli road. I have posted a road map which I took.

route is reach karamadai village. it is located on the stretch of mettupalayam-avinsiahi road.

from karamadai-velingadu-thoolampalayam-check post 1- mullli-pilllor check post-geddhai dam-pillor dam-kundah-take right from kundha power house- love dale- ooty.

in the pillor-mulli check post, there is a deviation a dirt track of 8kms which takes you into mulli(kerela). currently this road is not approachable by 4wheelers due to rain.

as far as thengumaraha is considered, take mettupalayam- sathyamangalam route- reach bhavanisagar dam( well marked by sign roads)- 25kms approx from mettupalayam-

from bhavanisagar dam- take bannari route- there will be deviation w25kms from thengumaraha- it;s so difficult to obtian permission for this route

Attachments

Top Bottom