Whistling Trails: In Search of Birds and Wildlife

Thread Starter #1
Whistling Trails: In search of Birds and Wildlife !

DSC_3935-5-5.jpg

"Do you ne'er think what wondrous beings these?
Do you ne'er think who made them, and who taught
The dialect they speak, where melodies
Alone are the interpreters of thought?
Whose household words are songs in many keys,
Sweeter than instrument of man e'er caught!"
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's 'Tales of a Wayside Inn'

This is a photologue, a compilation of my humble short birding trails around my home and roadside bird watching.​
DSC_3153-2.jpg

I was not a naturalist. But ever since I began to see the world through lenses, everything looked different, pleasantly different. I was back in India for a couple of months during rains this year. Had quite a number of places to visit for personal works and made sure my back-pack containing my photo-gear found a permanent place in my “Scorp”. The idea was to convert every single drive in to a birding trail in order to quench my thirst for birding. :biggrin:Understandably, the plan didn’t materialize fully due to tight schedule but did manage to capture some action.​

Palakkad is my native, near Ottapalam more precisely. Previously known as Palghat is considered as the Gateway of Kerala, giving the rest of India access to the State. Paddy field, a common sight here. Was returning home that day after a short birding drive.​
_DSC4589.jpg

There are quite a lot of birds around here. It is only that I needed to find certain locations with less human activity/presence. The most common bird that I see around were the Green-Bee eaters !​
DSC_4012-3.jpg

These were usually spotted in open places and small little grass lands. What fascinated the most was their bright green plumage and the attractive long tail-feathers. I usually wait patiently next to where I spot them and keep waiting for them to return after the kill. They usually return with a bee or a fly.​
DSC_3953-2.jpg

Today, the green bee-eater is classified as a species that is in least danger of immediate extinction in the wild. However, the decline in both their native habitat and bee population numbers around the world, could have devastating consequences for this plucky little bird.

DSC_4044-5.jpg
Note: These pictures of Green-Bee Eaters and all the pictures to follow were taken on different occasions during July/August-2015.​

More birds to follow [:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Around my home, along the paddy fields I do spot these Kingfishers quite often. I always wanted to get closer and capture them with their prey. The key for me was to identify a spot and keep waiting patiently for them to return.
DSC_2409.c-2.jpg

It’s fun to watch them taking off and landing in a flash with a crab or a fish and them beating it down in to their throat.

If I am right, this is a White-throated Kingfisher.
DSC_2542.c-3-2.jpg

This Pied Kingfisher was spotted at Ranganthittu/Mysore, this time around.
DSC_3720-2.jpg

A Common Kingfisher spotted at Nehru Zoological park @ Hyderabad
DSC_3503.jpg

A White-throated Kingfisher spotted at Nehru Zoological park @ Hyderabad
DSC_3476-3.jpg

Due to their generally small size, kingfishers have a number of predators wherever they exist around the world. The main predators of the kingfisher are foxes, raccoons, cats and snakes, but kingfishers are also preyed upon by other small mammals and large birds. The eggs of the kingfisher are also preyed upon by many of the kingfisher's predators.

Many species of kingfisher are considered to be threatened species as their numbers have been declining mainly due to habitat loss. These threatened species of kingfisher tend to be the kingfisher species that inhabit woodland and forests as their habitat is being destroyed due to deforestation which occurs in many areas around the world.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
When in India, I frequent Palakkad-Munnar stretch.
That morning I spotted this Oriental Magpie Robin (Please correct me if I am not correct) at our home near Munnar. Never expected to spot a bird as it was raining the whole night.
DSC_4159-2-2.jpg

Another Oriental Magpie Robin spotted @Ranganthittu/Mysore, this time around.
DSC_3821-2.jpg

Magpies are noted to be highly intelligent birds and are often able to sense approaching danger relatively quickly. Magpies are known to be dominant and curious birds but are relatively secretive when they feel they are in danger. Magpies are also known to mimic the calls of other birds and have fully taken advantage of new food sources created by the presence of humans.

Last edited:
Lovely photos !! Yesterday i was discussing about nature in Munnar along with one of my friend and i remembered your pics along with mHawk, it were just awesome.

Do keep more photos coming in !!

Thread Starter #5
Lovely photos !! Yesterday i was discussing about nature in Munnar along with one of my friend and i remembered your pics along with mHawk, it were just awesome.
Thanks GrandRk for the comments and am glad that you liked my pictures.
My M-Hawk while returning back after a short birding trip to my home near Munnar.
DSC_2780.jpg

Do keep more photos coming in !!
Sure [:)]

Thank you Sir for the kind words [:)]

Who said ? Becoming a photographer is quite easy.
Find out how, here
Just kidding !!![:)]

A D810
Excellent thread Super excited to see more clicks from you☺Ofcourse Kerala has been one of the best destinations this side of south India. Dad was saying about a kerala trip for a long time Will visit there real soon!!

Happy revving and Happy Clicking,
Sarath.

Thread Starter #9
Excellent thread.Super excited to see more clicks from you☺Ofcourse Kerala has been one of the best destinations this side of south India. Dad was saying about a kerala trip for a long time Will visit there real soon!!
Sarath.
Not been to Kerala which is just about half an hour drive from where you live ? !!!

One from Palakkad : A typical ottapalam village scene. This temple is just a couple of kilometers from my home.
DSC_1703.jpg

This one from Munnar.
DSC_2773-2.jpg
Goes on to show how diversified this small little State is.[:)]

Will come back with more birds soon !!

Thread Starter #11
It was fun capturing a Common Myna prey on a Grasshopper, this close. Captured the action from “Scorp” through the window on my left.
DSC_3860-4.ND-5.jpg

Earlier, spotted one on the beautiful Munnar-Marayur- Udumalpettai stretch
DSC_1766-3-2.jpg

An aggressive and confident bird, the common myna has adapted well to the urban environment, making it one of the most abundant and familiar birds in Asia

Thread Starter #12
As I was lazily driving down along the beautiful Marayur-Udumalpettai stretch, spotted these Pied Bushchats. They were quite cooperative if I stayed inside my “Scorp” but didn’t like whenever I tried to get out for better balance while shooting.
DSC_1796.jpg

DSC_4332-3-2.jpg

DSC_4325-2.jpg

Pied Bushchat: Small birds with generally black (male) or brown (female) plumage
DSC_4407-2-2.jpg

DSC_4383-3.jpg

Thread Starter #13
My companion for birding.
DSC_2664.jpg

“Scorp” @ Kava/Malampuzha, Palakkad.Beyond Malampuzha Dam, driving along the Kava – Anakkal stretch is an unforgettable delight for Nature lovers[thumbsup]

DSC_2667.jpg

Coming back to birds.
These tiny Sunbirds and tailorbirds are so quick that capturing them is difficult but equally fun.
DSC_2117-2-2.jpg

DSC_2436-2.jpg

DSC_2022-2.jpg

A Red-vented Bulbul
DSC_2173.C-2-3.jpg
A Drongo
DSC_2577-2-2.jpg

Last edited:
Palakkad is my native, near Ottapalam more precisely. Previously known as Palghat is considered as the Gateway of Kerala, giving the rest of India access to the State. Paddy field, a common sight here. Was returning home that day after a short birding drive.​
Hi Manoj, nice contribution again. Only first part of the thread topic fulfilled, the second part -Wildlife part is missing.

I came very near to the above place during my previous vacation. Now, back to work place.
Sorry for not reaching to you this time. Will try next time.
You have good skills on DSLR. We enjoy these beautiful photos.

Expecting more on wildlife part.

Thread Starter #15
I came very near to the above place during my previous vacation. Now, back to work place.
Sorry for not reaching to you this time. Will try next time.
You have good skills on DSLR. We enjoy these beautiful photos.
Thanks Mathews. I was there in India for nearly 3 months, this time around. With try and meet next time around.[:)]

A Bushlark, not sure whether it is Jerdon’s or Indian.
DSC_3219-2.jpg

While in Hyderabad, we visited the Nehru Zoological park. Though I don’t fancy shooting captive animals and birds, found these big cats in quite vast areas moving around freely in a more or less natural setting.

DSC_3433.jpg

DSC_3135-3.jpg

DSC_3414-2.jpg

DSC_3445-3-2.jpg

Top Bottom