Mumbai – Jaipur – Udaipur – Mumbai in My Black Cheetah XUV500 W6

Thread Starter #1
In Jan I bought XUV5OO W6 and was looking forward for a long drive, in the mean time there was a family function in Jaipur thought to drive from Mumbai and on the way back visit Udaipur. It’s just 2 of us and I was only one driving. Read some blogs on WWW, prepared my notes and I was all set. 2 days before start of my trip I got throat infection and high fever, showed to doctor he gave some antibiotics, I asked him if I can do a long drive in next 2 days, he gave me looks. I rested 2 days and finally D-Day came, in the morning checked temperature it was showing 101C and was feeling lot of weakness, I was in dual mind to drive or fly, but 2nd option means no Udaipur. Evening 5 pm my wife called to check my health and plan, after some thinking I told her PLAN IS ON, quickly went to nearest gas station to fill diesel. After driving a short distance from home to gas station and back I was feeling good.

Day-1
We finished early dinner and all set to start by 9:30pm. To go out of Mumbai I choose thane G B Road and was at fountain hotel by 10:30 pm. After crossing thane creek traffic was less and due to new car I was driving at 90kmph. Crossed Vapi around 12:30 am. Road condition was fantastic and it was only me and trucks, trucks and trucks on the road, but what I like was upon flashing lights trucks were switching lanes and give you way. Our first break of 30-45 min was at McDonalds, Surat at around 1:45 am. Earlier, idea was to take a night halt around mid-night but I was liking the drive and seeing we were making good progress I thought to continue. We crossed Ankleshwar in some time and after hearing some stories about bad jam at Bharuch thought to take Golden Bridge, took left from NH-8 and crossed bridge in next 15-20 min around 3 am, but it was really narrow, and I think I cannot do it in day time. Again joined NH-8 and continued towards Vadodara, and connected NE1 at 4:15am, I have read lot about NE1 but somehow I feel it is hyped (pure personal view), it’s a 2 lane tar road but with lot of traffic. Stopped for 15 min to strech after taking exit from NE1. Started continuing towards Himmatnagar reached there by 6:30am, took a tea break of 15-20 min and continued towards Udaipur, entered in Rajasthan around 8am, roads between Himmatnagar and Udaipur have some hilly terrain, we wanted to stop for breakfast but could not found a decent hotel so crossed Udaipur and stopped for breakfast on the outskirts of Udaipur around 9:30 am, after spending some 30 min continued towards Chittorgarh, in the mean time I started to feel some uneasiness wanted to take some rest desperately, did some racing of 3 digit speed and reached Chittorgarh by 11am, took a room at Chitrakoot resort, total distance travelled 870 km. Got up at 3pm got fresh, had lunch and started towards our final destination Jaipur. Topped diesel at gas station right opposite of hotel. As it was day time traffic was heavy and took some good time at tolls. Connected Kishangarh Jaipur toll road at 7:15pm reached Jaipur at 8:30pm.

Distance: 1180km
Time: 23hrs
Break: 7hr

Day-2:
Attended family function until afternoon. In the evening went to city center visited Hawa Mahal and some shopping by wifey at Bapu market. Tried food at LMB it was really good but pricey.

Day-3:
At 1pm started for Amber fort, as we were a big group parked my car at big parking lot below Amber fort and rented 2 taxi. First went to Jaigarh fort views were good enroute & from fort. Second went to Amber fort spend some good 2 hrs.

Day-4:
Plan was to start early and visit Chittorgarh fort on the way to Udaipur, but could start from Jaipur at around 12:30 pm. While going back my parents joined us, so we were 4 with lots & lots of luggage. Joined Jaipur Kishangarh highway around 1pm and was at Chittorgarh at 6pm after taking 1 hour lunch break. Reached Udaipur at 7:30pm after taking 20min tea break.

Distance: 415km
Time: 7hrs
Break: 1hr 20min

Day-5:
Roads in Udaipur are very narrow specially around City Palace. Booked an auto for local sightseeing some 12-15 sights, but main places were Saheliyon Ki Bari, Jagdish Mandir & City Palace.

Day-6:
Started from Udaipur at 8am, crossed Gujarat border by 10:30 am. Took a tea break of 20 min near Shamlaji. This time while coming back I took Shamlaji – Modasa – Godhra – Halol – Vadodara, road is excellent with very less traffic, connected back to NH8 at 1:45pm. Took a lunch break of 45 min and crossed Bharuch bridge at 3pm. Reached Vapi around 6pm, took a 15min break and reached Mumbai at 9pm.

Distance: 750km
Time: 13hrs
Break: 1hr 20min

Total Distance: 2400KM
Vehicle: Mahindra XUV5oo W6
Average: 14KMPL (100% A/C)

Last edited:
Nice write up. Details on road and traffic conditions would be useful for planning a trip.
Any particular reason for driving in the night only. I find day time is much safer to drive.

I have also driven from Mumbai to Ajmer Had taken a break at Gandhinagar.

I will do Delhi-Udaipur-Mumbai-Goa in November with a friend. Day driving. What time would be ideal to leave Udaipur in the morning and reach Mumbai by around 6 pm? I have read couple of road runs from Udaipur to Mumbai, but couldn't determine the time taken on those posts. Since you did night driving, I guess driving time will be different for me (day run). Still, I assume you would have a rough idea since the route would be the same. Nice photos by the way, especially the Hawa Mahal.

Thread Starter #5
While coming back to Mumbai, I started at 8am from Udaipur and reached Mumbai at 9pm including 1h 20 min break. I bypassed Ahmedabad by taking Shamlaji – Modasa – Godhra – Halol – Vadodara road was in very good condition.

Re: Mumbai – Jaipur – Udaipur – Mumbai in My Black Cheetah XUV500 W6

Congrats kukku_k, Excellent write-up. What happened to the fever on day2 and following days?
Nice photos. Only few photos?

Top Bottom