Two Hours @ Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary: Photologue

Thread Starter #1
Two hours at Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary. A quick drive to Mysore via Ooty : Photologue !

February 2015

Mysore has always been very special to me. My four years of stay/ education @ Mysore, I rate as one of the very best and memorable periods in my life. That should be the reason why I felt at home, the moment we hit Mysore.

T6080x4028-00002.jpg
Mysore Palace Entrance: 14 mm f11 13s ISO 100

I was back in India for a month. Had couple of days of personal work in Mysore, hence thought of taking my family along. It was more of a pleasure drive with family rather than exploring places at destination/s.
Squeezed in a couple of hours to re-visit Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary for a much needed break. An early morning or evening would have been ideal for capturing birds digitally, but by the time I got there the Sun was blazing down at it’s very best right above my head. I shall still process them and post the useable here to help you get a feel of what this beautiful location has on offer, these low resolution pictures no way do any justifications to the beauty of this nature's paradise though.

T6080x4028-00096.jpg
Cormorant in flight: 350 mm f6 1/1250s ISO 800 [Picture has been cropped for composition]​

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Two hours @Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary: Photologue

How we got there ?

The ride : ‘Scorp’
The route : Palakkad- CBE - Ooty- Gudalur - Bandipur – Mysore.

DSC_4172-2.jpg

Why via Ooty ?
The answer is very simple. Never did that stretch earlier. [:)]

Started off late from Palakkad at around 11.00 am. Beautiful newly laid 4-Lane stretch up to Walayar. Had vegetarian Tamilnadu special meals right after navigating through the CBE city traffic at a restaurant on the Mettupalayam road.
The Ooty ghat road was good but narrow. Though there was moderate truck traffic, the relaxed drive got us somewhere very close to Ooty town by 4.00 pm.

Soon we got stuck on the road just a few kilometers to Ooty for about an hour, thanks to some unplanned and inefficient road repair exercise = traffic jam.Never understood why on earth they decided to do that minor road work at the rush school hour which lead to such huge traffic mess. We were put off by that and decided against staying in Ooty that night. Took a short tea break near Botanical garden and headed to Gudalur for the night halt.

DSC_4458.jpg
DSC_4456.jpg
Botanical Garden @Ooty

The Ooty-Gudalur stretch was beautiful but then it was getting dark. I was expecting some wildlife crossing at that time of the day but didn’t find any. Drove into Holiday Inn @ Gudalur. Went for a short evening walk and got back to rooms after having a light dinner from a restaurant @Gudalur Town.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

The next day, took off to Mysore via Bandipur after having breakfast at a restaurant right after Gudalur town. It was a very refreshing experience driving through Bandipur forest that morning. Saw few wildlife on the way but didn’t stop or click. Rolled down the windows, and switched off the AC. It was an exceptional driving experience which can’t be expressed in words . Note that even after having seen many animal and birds at very close distances, I didn’t bother taking out my camera at all. Just enjoyed every single moment being with family behind the wheel driving along such a beautiful forest stretch.[:)]

The Gundalpet –Mysore stretch looked so different, thanks to the ongoing road works. The surface wasn’t bad though. Soon we stopped for a drinks-break and by then I knew I had almost reached my another home. I looked up and saw the majestic Chamundi hills to my right.

Drove straight into Hotel Roopa at the center of Mysore city. Had booked a couple of deluxe suits beforehand. Had stayed in there earlier and I liked the location, their service and parking. Took a very well deserved rest after having lunch there.

Went to the majestic Mysore Palace that evening. Parked my ‘Scorp’ in that huge open ground in front of the Palace. Had a great time walking around the Palace that evening.

T6080x4028-00013.jpg

T6080x4028-00018.jpg

T6080x4028-00020.jpg
Lights on ! @ Mysore palace

Thread Starter #4

The next day, wifey took charge of taking everybody around Mysore city as I was out with my work. She was very familiar with the city; after all, she was my classmate @ our Manasagangothri campus, back in late 1990s. [:)]

DSC_5325.jpg
'Scorp' @ KRS/ Brindavan Gardens
Back on to the road again for a short spin, the next day morning. Thought of visiting Brindavan Gardens. I always liked that small stretch to KRS from Mysore for some reason. But by the time we got there, the sun started beating down heavily. Thanks to the heat, none looked interested to explore the gardens. I had a couple of more hours of free time, hence decided to visit Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary which wasn’t that far from there.

Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary:

Ranganthittu is about 20 kms from Mysore city. Back in my college days, I used to ride to these locations in small groups with my friends.

T6080x4028-00119.jpg

By the time we got there, the Sun was blazing down at it’s very best right above my head. Bought the entry ticket [ Rs 50 per head as I recollect], parked the Scorp under shade and started our stroll. Didn’t waste any time to book a private but guided boat. I paid Rs. 1000 for 70 minutes as I recollect now. Thanks to the heat we opted for a boat with canopy. Put on the Life jackets and there we go. Kids loved the ride all along the waters. Was fun witnessing such a large flock of birds of different varieties on tress and islets.

T6080x4028-00135.jpg

Thread Starter #5

Birds @ Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary.

T6080x4028-00117-2.jpg
Painted Storks at the sanctuary quenching their thirst/ trying to flush the hiding prey.

The oarsman was a veteran and he made sure we knew the number of years of expertise under his belt working in the sanctuary. With over 20 years experience, he proved himself to be an excellent guide sharing with us the names and all details of various birds we encountered during our ride.

DSC_4719_.jpg
A Painted Stork in flight

Zoomed in a bit to get closer this time. This picture has been heavily get rid of the distracting elements.

T6080x4028-00091.jpg
Painted Stork : Closing in !

Excellent pictures! Mysore palace looks stunning at night.
We had been to Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty in January and we really liked Ranganathithu. We did not go with huge expectations, but it turned out to be great! Right from the turn you take to enter the sanctuary, you start seeing those huge ducks flying and the anticipation builds. It was not at all crowded, huge parking space, nicely maintained, and the boat ride is the best part!
We also enjoyed the Railway museum at Mysore.
The Railway Museum along with Ranganathithu was the highlight of Mysore stay for us.

Last edited:

DSLR Excellently Executed. Very beautiful photos.
We missed this place, Ranganthittu during our previous Mysore visit. Well, your photologure cleared that gap.

Expecting more to come.

Thread Starter #9

Excellent pictures! Mysore palace looks stunning at night.
We had been to Mysore-Bandipur-Ooty in January and we really liked Ranganathithu. We did not go with huge expectations, but it turned out to be great! Right from the turn you take to enter the sanctuary, you start seeing those huge ducks flying and the anticipation builds. It was not at all crowded, huge parking space, nicely maintained, and the boat ride is the best part!
We also enjoyed the Railway museum at Mysore.
Thanks abhijeetp. Yes it's not just the destination but the drive that take you to your destination is what that takes the experience to another level.

For me, even after 15 years or so, Mysore looked exactly the same, except for the Bangalore By-pass road. The elegance, the charm of the old Mysore is not lost yet [:)]

DSLR Excellently Executed. Very beautiful photos.
Mathew, you are being too nice here. These pictures are way too far from being called 'excellent' in terms of what modern DSLRs are capable of. Thanks for the compliments though [:)]

We missed this place, Ranganthittu during our previous Mysore visit. Well, your photologure cleared that gap.
Thanks for the link to your log. Missed it for some reason. Do make it a point to visit this beautiful little paradise when you make it to Mysore next time around. It's just about 19 km from the city.

We visited the Palace around noon time. Our guide misguided us. One man offered the guide service, and he assured guiding us to all places. This man was full on spirit, took us to palace on the wrong time. Photography is not allowed inside the palace. We bought some DVD and some books narrating the making of the palace. We noticed one lady was taking photos using their mobile phone. It is strictly prohibited but she continued taking photos. Finally landed in security people, clearing all her photos form the mobile phone.
DSC05865.JPG

Thread Starter #12
Amazing photos Manoj. Thanks for highlighting such beautiful place in INDIA.
Thanks amit.
BTW, Mahabaleshwar/Panchgani is a fantastic week end get away destination as well. I am sure you have been there already.

After reading this thread I thought of visiting this place once this year.
Please do. It would also be a great experience driving down to Mysore from Pune.

Loved the colours on this egret we found at the Sanctuary. Background has been selectively underexposed in post.

ND-2.jpg

Thread Starter #13
Lots of Pelicans in action !
T6080x4028-00073.jpg

T6080x4028-00074.jpg

T6080x4028-00502-4-2.jpg

T6080x4028-00069.jpg

T6080x4028-00514.jpg

The ride ended in about an hour or so and we enjoyed every bit of it. Drove back to the hotel for a late lunch.

We returned home the next day taking the Sathyamangalam –Annur –CBE route, which I thought was great too. ‘Scorp’ stood tall throughout the journey with absolutely no signs of fatigue.

2.jpg
My trusty companion on roads, since 2009 [:)]

Over all, a good break and some great time behind the wheel. Will look forward to coming back here again to this wonderful another home of mine. [thumbswink]

excellent photologue, shooting the birds in action, needs skill and good aesthetic knowledge, which camera do you operate.
Manoj your photographs are as good as what Highway Ranger shoots.
keep it up.
regards
vinod

Thread Starter #15
excellent photologue, shooting the birds in action, needs skill and good aesthetic knowledge, which camera do you operate.
Thanks Vinod for the kind words.
Used a Nikon D610 and a D7000 for the pictures posted.

T6080x4028-00017.jpg

A couple of more night shots @ Mysore Palace with lights on. Palace illumination is on only on Sundays and public holidays from 7pm to 7.30 or 7.45 pm, if I recollect correctly.

T6080x4028-00010.jpg

T6080x4028-00015.jpg

Top Bottom