The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   The Voyage Junction (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/)
-   -   As The Wheels Roll and The Shutters Click…Travel Reminiscences… (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/voyage-junction/19704-wheels-roll-shutters-click-travel-reminiscences.html)

Highway Ranger 13th December 2014 01:50 PM

As The Wheels Roll and The Shutters Click…Travel Reminiscences…

9 Attachment(s)
************************************************** ************************************************** *

Foreword:

In this thread I would like to share the nature and wildlife that my wife and I see on various road trips that we take. We love going on drives and enjoy watching wildlife and nature. Hope you like the wildlife and nature that we share as much as we like watching them. My wife is a natural spotter of wildlife and slowly I too have learned to spot them. We try our best to identify the wildlife and may give some fact about them that we find online. If you do find any error in the data we provide, please feel free to correct us.

Thank you for watching and hope you enjoy the show.

************************************************** ************************************************** *

Valparai with point and shoot camera - Aug - 2011

Valparai 2013

A drive to Nazareth - Dec 9, 2014

A drive to Kelavarapelli Dam, near Hosur -
Dec 28, 2014

Kumarakom - Thattakad - Thekkady Jan 15, 2015

Aiyur Reserve Forest - Mar 14, 2015

Valparai 2015

Nilgiri Hills in search of four birds... Sep 5, 2015

A drive to Nazareth (a small town near Tirunelveli, in Tamil Nadu)

Reason : To attend the engagement and Wedding of a relative.

Started at 5:30 am from Hosur and reached the destination at 2:00 pm for lunch. In between stopped for breakfast at Salem and tanked up near Sattur.

I always enjoy the drive in this route - Hosur > Salem > Karur > Madurai > Tirunelveli. This time though, the road condition was not that great. Badly maintained, there were some small stretches with patches and some uneven stretches. Overall it was a good enjoyable drive.

We had not planned any visit to tourist getaways this time and I didn't want to take my camera or my laptop. But at the last minute, I just took one camera - just in case. (without the charger or additional memory cards/lens). In the end I was glad I took the camera.

As usual we stopped whenever we felt the presence of birds and checked them out.

Saw a Dragonfly... during one brief stop...

Attachment 155151

and a Butterfly...

Attachment 155152

Attachment 155153

next stop, a Indian Roller... we can see a lot of these on the electric wires along the highways.

Attachment 155154

Attachment 155155

an angry Barn Swallow...

Attachment 155156

relaxed... sort of...

Attachment 155157

%

vijay 13th December 2014 01:55 PM

Re: As the wheels roll and the shutters click… Travel reminiscences…

Wow HR glued already for the amazing sets of captures coming ahead.
As your city wont go ahead without the fuel filling up thats what your camera gears are HR, you cant stay away from it.[:)]

Highway Ranger 14th December 2014 10:02 AM

Re: As the wheels roll and the shutters click… Travel reminiscences…

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vijay (Post 423176)
Wow HR glued already for the amazing sets of captures coming ahead.
As your city wont go ahead without the fuel filling up thats what your camera gears are HR, you cant stay away from it.[:)]

Thank you, vijay! Hope I don't disappoint you.[;)]

As we neared the town we found a lot of water bodies and water birds. Since we were hungry, we just took a few shots and reached the place for lunch.

Green Sandpipper...

Attachment 155209

Pond Herons...

Attachment 155210

Attachment 155211

Asian Open-billed Stork...

Attachment 155212

Attachment 155213

The engagement was in the evening and we went to our room to get some rest and get ready. There was a pomegranate tree in that complex and I found a Squirrel happily enjoying one fruit. I have never managed a clear shot of a Squirrel before and this one made sure I didn't get one this time too. [frustration]

Attachment 155214

Attachment 155215

[to be cont.]

Highway Ranger 15th December 2014 06:54 PM

Re: As the wheels roll and the shutters click…Travel reminiscences…

11 Attachment(s)
Between the functions we had some free time and we decided to check out the country side. We found some birds... as usual.

like this sleeping cormorant...

Attachment 155392

which finally woke up...

Attachment 155393

and the Black-winged Kite... which entertained us as we followed it around...
Attachment 155394

Attachment 155395

Attachment 155396

Attachment 155397

Attachment 155398

Attachment 155399

watching us intensively...

Attachment 155403

Attachment 155404

Attachment 155405

[to be cont.]

AR Ram 17th December 2014 09:02 AM

HR great clicks

No matter whether you are going on a casual trip or a dedicated one, the wild life or birds will be waiting for you to get clicked.

Mr.Boss 17th December 2014 03:56 PM

Nice set of snaps buddy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Highway Ranger (Post 423175)
at the last minute, I just took one camera

Which camera was that?

Highway Ranger 18th December 2014 07:35 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AR Ram (Post 423847)
HR great clicks

No matter whether you are going on a casual trip or a dedicated one, the wild life or birds will be waiting for you to get clicked.

Thank you, Ram! Wildlife/birds and natural beauties are always around us. But we fail to see and enjoy them due to our commitments/busy lifestyle.

BTW, early next month, we will be going to Coimbatore to attend another wedding. We are hoping to convert that into a trip as there are a lot of interesting places around Coimbatore. Parambikulam/Top slip, Valparai, Munnar, Conoor/Ooty, Aleppey/Cochin or Kumarakom... tough to decide. What is your take, Ram?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Boss (Post 423925)
Nice set of snaps buddy.

Which camera was that?

Thank you. I took the D7100, as it's battery had 92% charge.

Some more birds that we saw in Nazareth...

Brahminy Starling...
Quite surprised to see these in great numbers here. We had seen them @ Masinagudi and Sathyamangalam earlier. I was under the impression these preferred forested area.

Attachment 155729

Attachment 155730

Attachment 155731

Attachment 155737

a Drongo...

Attachment 155732

Purple rumped Sunbird... @ our stay...

Attachment 155733

Attachment 155734

our roommate... a colorful insect/fly...

Attachment 155735

And as we were getting in the car to leave Nazareth, we saw this little banded goshawk/Shikra on a water pipe. It was raining and the light was low, clicked around 9 snaps - 5 blured, 1 bird movement, and 3 sort of ok, considering that they were shot @1/8 hand held as usual. This was the best of the 3.

Attachment 155736

[to be cont.]

Highway Ranger 20th December 2014 07:01 AM

5 Attachment(s)
The route we took was Nazareth > Tirunelveli (visiting relatives) > Sattur > Sivakashi (visiting relatives) > Virudhunagar (visiting relatives-night halt) > Hosur.

We could spot birds on the Sattur - Sivakashi state highway and Virudhunagar.

Common Myna...

Attachment 156051

Attachment 156052

Attachment 156054

Common Hoopoe...

Attachment 156053

Peacock...

Attachment 156055

[to be cont.]

vijay 20th December 2014 11:40 AM

Brilliant HR, disappoint[shock] these are treats to watch sir,as you rightly said we always fail to notice the amazing beauty surrounded us to catch and take a glimpse of it.
Also as to what AR said, wilidlife and the birds surely do want tobe captured by your lenses.[clap]

incarnation 20th December 2014 11:57 AM

Mesmerizing and brilliant pics HR. I agree Vijay Due to our lifestyle we forget to see the beauty of nature. once in a while we need to step back from our daily routine and enjoy the beauty nature is provided us with. HR one question though, is phtography your passion or your occupation. if its not a profession then hell make it one. Like the R Madhavan of Three Idiots, I'm sure you can work under Andre Istaban. [:D]

AR Ram 21st December 2014 05:49 AM

[QUOTE=Highway Ranger;424053]Thank you, Ram! Wildlife/birds and natural beauties are always around us. But we fail to see and enjoy them due to our commitments/busy lifestyle.

BTW, early next month, we will be going to Coimbatore to attend another wedding. We are hoping to convert that into a trip as there are a lot of interesting places around Coimbatore. Parambikulam/Top slip, Valparai, Munnar, Conoor/Ooty, Aleppey/Cochin or Kumarakom... tough to decide. What is your take, Ram?

HR

I am sure you might have visited all these places, but still always something you are interested will be waiting for you again. Cochin, Aleppy or Kumarakom are not unfamiliar to you. You can consider Silent Valley, but you got to get prior permission to get into there. Let me know the dates. And here is the link

https://www.keralatourism.org/destin...k-palakkad/157

Thank you HR

Highway Ranger 21st December 2014 07:45 PM

7 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by vijay (Post 424501)
Brilliant HR, disappoint these are treats to watch sir,as you rightly said we always fail to notice the amazing beauty surrounded us to catch and take a glimpse of it.

Thank you for your comments, Vijay! [:)]

Quote:

Originally Posted by incarnation (Post 424505)
Mesmerizing and brilliant pics HR. ...is phtography your passion or your occupation.

Thank you! Photography is neither a passion nor my occupation. It is just a hobby for me. I use it to record whatever wildlife we see.

BTW, I am in the IT field.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AR Ram (Post 424599)
HR

I am sure you might have visited all these places, but still always something you are interested will be waiting for you again. Cochin, Aleppy or Kumarakom are not unfamiliar to you. You can consider Silent Valley, but you got to get prior permission to get into there. Let me know the dates. And here is the link

https://www.keralatourism.org/destin...k-palakkad/157

Thank you HR

I checked out the silent valley national park. A friend from Cochin also suggested this to me. Since I will have my aged, (78 yrs), mother-in-law with us, I don't think this will be a good place to visit. She loves the boat/ferry rides and wants us to go to Cochin/Alleppey/Kumarakom.

In the end, it all depends upon the no of days my wife can take off. Makes no sense to go to Cochin for a short trip. In that case it will be Kodai or Munnar.

Rosy Starling (Juvenile)... a first time sighting for us. so a lot of photos.
[:)]

Attachment 156169

Attachment 156170

Attachment 156171

Attachment 156172

Attachment 156173

Attachment 156174

Red-vented Bulbul... having a bad hair day[;)]

Attachment 156175

[to be cont.]

Highway Ranger 23rd December 2014 02:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
After Sivakasi, our next destination was Virudhunagar. We have traveled on the Sivakasi-Virudhunagar road many times before. The road used to be a narrow road with many, (read every other kilometer), speed breakers and these speed breakers were in pairs. But now, to our surprise, they have broadened the road and have removed most of the speed breakers. It was well past 1 pm when we reached our relative's place and they insisted that we halt there for the night there and start the next morning.

Asian Koel female... @ Virudhunagar...
a mean fighting machine when someone tries to share its food.

Attachment 156322

Attachment 156320

Attachment 156321

[to be cont.]

Mathew 24th December 2014 11:06 AM

Hi HR,
You have wonderful skills behind DSLR. Each of these photos stand distinguished, and project the birds/objects from the backgrounds. Keep posting such photos. I suggest to compile an executive collection of distinguished photos on yearly basis.

incarnation 24th December 2014 11:58 AM

i hadn't seen the Asian Koel till now must be a rare one. not that i watch birds everyday[:D]. However its Awesome