Ordinary Fame Gavi.

Thread Starter #1
About Gavi: Gavi is an eco-tourist spot in Kerala which has widely become popular after 'Alistair International' the world acclaimed tourism major listed it among the leading eco-tourism centers and one of the must-see places in India.

Gavi is in and part of the Periyar Tiger reserve. The place is rich in flora and fauna. There are hills and valleys, tropical forests, sprawling grasslands, streams, cascading waterfalls and cardamom and tea plantations.

Gavi is now famous among the local tourists after the Malayalam movie Ordinary.

To be continued....

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Continued……
Road Condition: The road condition from Pathanamthitta to Gavi is worst and the road from Vandipperiyar to Gavi is good and can be easily accessed by cars.

This is my second trip to Gavi. The first trip was in the Pathanamthitta – Gavi – Kumali KSRTC Bus in August 2014. The major disadvantage of the bus trip is that you cannot stop at the place where you like, difficult to take pictures, less chances of spotting wild life and the view is restricted to the side where you sit.

The road to Gavi is so bad and there is restriction to private vehicles on the forest road, the forest department allows only 20 vehicles per day on first come first serve basis. I didn’t want to damage the shoes and belly of my Storm, I decided to hire an autorikshaw to Pathanamthitta (30km) and from there to Gavi by KSRTC bus at 6.30 am. My fried Sarath suggested to go upto Pathanamthitta by Storme, park it in a pay park near the bus stand, sounds good, I accepted it.

On November 29, 2014, I, my friends shilal and sarath started at 5.25 am to Pathanamthitta in Storme. We reached the pay park at 6.00am, it was closed and there was a rope across the entrance, nobody was around. We went to the teashop opposite to the bus stand, enquired about any other pay park nearby, he suggested us to park on the road side, but it was unacceptable for me, I did not wanted to leave my Storme unattended for a long period on the roadside. Plan changed, decided to take Storme to Gavi. Filled diesel, switched on the MMI Z350, location Gavi fixed, but could not find the forest office on the map where the pass being issued. No problem we will find it on the way. Headed straight to Gavi.

Route Taken: Vadasserikkara - Laha - Angamoozhy - Moozhiyar - Kakki Reservoir - Anathode Dam - Pamba Reservoir - Kochu Pamba - Gavi – Gavi Dam - Pachakanam - Kozhikanam – Vandiperiyar

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
We entered forest at 7am, Storme was the only vehicle on the road, reached a forest check post at 7.40am, the forest officer was surprised to see us so early, he asked how did you get the pass so early? Come with your pass and driving license.

Me: Pass??? I don’t have any pass; I came to get one from here.

He laughed and said that we have already passed through the permit issuing office and the first check post. We were too early; otherwise we could be stopped at the first check post. The pass will be issued from the forest office 20km behind us at 8 am onwards and this is the 2nd of the 5 forest check posts.

Oh my god, driving 40Km up and down on this worst road was unthinkable, I was in a dilemma. There is another option, park Storme there and wait for the bus to come for the remaining journey and come back by the same bus to this point. The forest officer reminded us that the pass will be issued only for 20 vehicles and if we are not starting now we may lose out. We decided to go back and get the pass, reached at Forest Range Office Angamoozhi at 8.10, there was a long queue of vehicles for the pass.

To avoid rush there is a token system, by the time we reached all the 20 tokens were issued, we explained the situation to the officer and just wait outside the range office. To our luck the person with token No 19 did not turn up to collect the pass in time, so we got the pass to Anathodu (Rs.30 per head) and from there we need to get another pass.

Now there are 18 vehicles ahead of us, definitely no chance for spotting any wildlife. We continued our journey to gavi, checked pass and driving license at first check post, then reached at second check post they are checking the vehicles thoroughly for plastics and liquor. Liquor is strictly prohibited in the forest area.

No road at some locations, only big boulders. After a very tiring journey, we had hot and delicious Lunch with fish curry from KSEB Canteen at Pamba Dam. We reached Anathodu check post; we got a new pass (Charge Rs.115 for car, camera and 3 person) to proceed to Gavi.

There are 5 dams and few viewpoints on the way to gavi. We reached at Gavi around 3 pm. Gavi is a very small village, there is a post office 2-3 shops, and a canteen at Gavi Town. There is nothing much to see there other than the Gavi Eco Tourism organized by KTDFC which needs prior booking.

The major activates of Gavi Eco tourism are Trekking, Bird Watching, Outdoor camping in forest, Safaris through jungle roads, Boating in the Gavi& kochupampa lakes, Leisurely walks through spice gardens, Climb to Sabarimala Temple View.
After spending some time and driving through the forest, at 4.00 pm we decided to return, but another problem, the forest guard discouraged us going back to pathanamthitta by driving 4 hours through the forest in the evening. We had only one option to go to Vandipperiyar and from there to pathanamthitta via kuttikkanam – Erumeli – Ranni. The road to vandipperiyar is good.

After spending some time at vandipperiyar we headed back to pathanamthitta.

Total distance covered: 290Km
Fuel Consumed: 34 liter
Milage: 8.5kmpl

Attachments

Thread Starter #4
Continued……

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
Continued……

Attachments

Woh!!! beautiful pictures and write up. [clap]

These roads and terrains remind me my recent drive on the stretch from Athirapally to Valparai, except for the bad patches.

Thanks for sharing

Nice place, pictures and write up[clap] They issue pass from Vandiperiyar side too?

what is your suggestion on starting the journey from vandiperiyar, reaching Gavi and back to vandiperiyar?

as the road from Gavi to PTA is in bad condition[cry]

Thread Starter #10
Woh!!! beautiful pictures and write up. [clap]

These roads and terrains remind me my recent drive on the stretch from Athirapally to Valparai, except for the bad patches.

Thanks for sharing
Yes, I think the road is steeper also. I have completed Palakkad-Pollachi-Valpparai-Athirappally in August 2014.

Gavi boooy
nice pics,hope you have reclaimed and recharged your life
Yes bro, really it was rejuvenating

Nice place, pictures and write up[clap] They issue pass from Vandiperiyar side too?

what is your suggestion on starting the journey from vandiperiyar, reaching Gavi and back to vandiperiyar?

as the road from Gavi to PTA is in bad condition[cry]
Yes, They issue pass from Vandiperiyar side too. The most beautiful part of this journey was the forest, hills, grasslands, and 5 dams on the way to Gavi from Pathanamthitta. Nothing much to see in gavi other than the ecotourism project which needs prior booking. I suggest you go with your Eco sport from pathanamthitta.

Thread Starter #11
More pictures......

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13

Attachments

Thread Starter #14
More Pictures..........

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
more pics.

Attachments