A Trip To the Golden Peak

Thread Starter #1
About the Golden Peak - Ponmudi: Ponmudi means the Golden Peak. Its located 55.2 km north-east of Trivandrum City at an altitude of 1100 m. It is part of the Western Ghats mountain range. Ponmudi is blessed with scenic splendor and natural beauty, Ponmudi has a carpet of thick tropical forest that rolls down to the foot of the hill range.

kms covered: 240 1 day
Average Milage 10kmpl.
Route taken: Pathanapuram – Anchal – Palodu – Vithura – Kallar – Ponmudi.

This was my third visit to ponmudi and second within this 3 months. Me and my family started at 8 am on October 11, 2014.

We reached Meenmutty falls at 10 am. Meenmutty waterfall (Kallar River) is about 3 km away from the Vithura -Ponmudi road. After 30min of trekking through dense forest and crossing the Kallar River with the help of guards of Kallar Vana Samrakshana Samithi we reached the waterfall. The river is well known for its abundance of attractive, round-shaped boulders and pebbles. Here one can take a dip in the crystal clear waters to cool off. The current was so strong; crossing the river was really exciting. The small natural pools and rocks located beside the way to the waterfall was really gorgeous. Bathing under the falls is now prohibited; the spot of river near the waterfalls is highly dangerous. Several accidents have occurred in the past and many lost life.

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
We proceed to ponmudi, reached there around 1 pm. The road to Ponmudi is narrow and winding offers a scenic view all along the way. The road is steep and there are 22 hairpin curves which makes the travel a thrilling experience. The view of tea gardens, Valleys and Hills from the top of hill was really mesmerizing. We had lunch from KTDC Golden Peak; the food was fresh and really tasty. The only stay option at Ponmudi is this hotel.

We headed towards ponmudi hill top around 2pm. The atmosphere was chilling. Form the hilltop, the view of the hill ranges, the valleys and the slopes covered with grass, mist and clouds was amazing.

Other attractions near Ponmudi are Peppara Wildlife Sanctuary, Peppara Dam, Echo Point and Agasthiya Biological Park.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Continued...

Attachments

Excellent Pic Anil.

But please stop your TLs. Immediately after your Rosemala TL [evil]. Now you are tempting us to go out these places. I'm such a poor guy, can't control myself to be in hands of nature.

Storme makes it way to all these places. As usual, please explain the road condition with some pics.

Thread Starter #8
Hi Anil,

Nice pics, the climb in your first pic looks very very steep. Did you face any trouble while going upward. Can i do this climb with 1.2L?
Yes the road is steep but no problem it is smooth. I seen M800s at hilltop, so it will be a cakewalk for your 1.2L. Also there are KSRTC buses to Ponmudi from Trivandrum.

good pics Anil. Hope there is more to share.
thanks

Excellent pics Bro,

your pics are tempting me to visit such a wonderful place.

Expecting more pics from you.
thanks

Excellent Pic Anil.

But please stop your TLs. Immediately after your Rosemala TL [evil]. Now you are tempting us to go out these places. I'm such a poor guy, can't control myself to be in hands of nature.

Storme makes it way to all these places. As usual, please explain the road condition with some pics.
ohh man, it is worth visiting there, you mind will get refreshed, it is such a beautiful place, .

Wow!. The place is truly scenic.
Quite honestly; I have not heard a lot about this place before.
One more in my queue.
How good would it be if I could make more time for myself to drive, drive and drive.....

Hi Anil, No updates? Any recent trips?
I got an opportunity to visit the same place again. People used to park their vehicle on road, en route to Trivandrum. This is little risky. There is sufficient space on the other side of the road. Their food is really tasty.

IMG_20160107_155144.jpg

Top Bottom