A Trip to Rosemala in Safari Storme

Thread Starter #1
Rose mala is a place in Aryankavu (Kollam District, Kerala) which is 15 km away from Aryankavu junction. Aryankavu is 76km away on NH 208 from Kollam. The forest track leading to Rosemala is very steep with loose boulders. Only Suvs with high ground clearance and jeeps (and of course two-wheelers) can travel on this road.

The main attraction in Rosemala is the forest, watch tower, and the view of lake from the watch tower. The watchtower unveils the beauty of Thenmala Dam reservoir surrounded by gigantic hills. There are options for boating in the lake for that you have to get the permission from Shenduruney Wildlife Sanctuary. The most important thing is the tranquility of several mountain streams crossing the path.

Google map actually do not show the path to rosemala, but no problem there are no diversions or byroads on the way, the track will lead you to Rosemala.

Rosemala is less explored eco-tourism spots in Kerala. I read travelogue in one Malayalam daily and started the search for Rosemala since I bought my Storme. Finally after several months of patient waiting for a good time and partner, I and my fried Mr. Shilal from trissur fixed the plan to visit the place on November 07, 2014.

Palaruvi waterfall, Thenmala Dam, Thenmala Ecotourism can also be visited on the way to Rosemala when you are coming from kollam side. Courtalam water falls in Tamilnadu is only 23km away from rosemala.

We started from home around 9am after the breakfast, first visited the Thenmala dam. A part of the reservoir can be seen from a viewpoint few km away on Thenmala – Kulathuppuzha Road. The view from here is gorgeous.

We reached Aryankavu check post and around 11.30, took first right after the checkpost, after a few km the tarred narrow road becoming earthen track with big boulders. Mountain streams crossing the path at many locations and creating big pools on the track. The water is chilling and crystal clear; there are colorful small fishes in the stream. The forest is thick, dark at some places, mostly silent, sometime you can enjoy the singing of birds.

Road is very steep with loose stones at some locations making it in accessible for cars. Safari had no problem to manage the boulders, mud, water crossings and steepness. Most of the time engaged first gear to crawl the boulders and steep climbs even without pressing the accelerator. At some locations road is very slippery.

Reached Ambalamukku junction in Rosemala at around 1pm, there is a small hotel here. We headed to the watch tower on the main hill, the view from there was wonderful, we could see reservoir of Thenmala Dam.

Return to Ambalamukku Junction and went for a trekking through the forest, could not spot any wild life.
We say good bye to rosemala at around 5pm for the time being,, will definitely comeback soon.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Continued....

Attachments

Fantastic drive through the forest... looks very pleasant.

The images are excellent.

Thank you for sharing the information about this attraction.

Anil,

even though my home is less than 60 km from Rosemala, I never new the journey to this place is so beautiful.

your travelogue with beautiful live pictures compelled me to fix a date at the earliest for a journey.

hope Ecosport can make it.

my ecosport registration too is KL-25[:D]

Anil,

Excellent Pictures. I could make out that, it is an Excellent location. I liked your thinking of exploring new thing which is infame. [clap]

If I come to Courtalam water falls, definitely I will make to Rosemala. But I think my city can't do in that road. Is any other transportation (hiring a jeep) available on a regular basis.

Please upload more photographs especially the Road to rosemala [;)]

Amazing Pictures Sir !!

The Storme is at the perfect location. You are indeed making the best use of this beast !! How many KM is the forest stretch?

Thread Starter #7
Thanks Ram Sir,
I am your fan, your travelogues are excellent.

Rajesh Murali,
Ohhh 2 TAIans from Pattazhi. (I am also from Pattazhi) Your Ecosport can make it to Rosemala easily. I think we can meet sometime.

Thank you Gandhi,
As you mentioned city cannot do it. You can hire jeep from Aryankavu. If you are coming to rosemala it is worth to visit Palaruvi Waterfalls and Thenmala ecotourism also.

Thanks Unni Nambiar, Forest stretch is 15km, about 10 km is unpaved track.

More pictures:

Attachments

Beautiful pictures Anil. Keep them coming !

Lovely place indeed. Scope for any wildlife ?
BTW, Storme looks majestic in that dark shade.

Awesome place Anil[clap]

The place which you went is just a warmup exercise for Strome. Waiting to see you with more adventure place with Strome[:)]

BTW, Strome looks excellent in all the pics

Thread Starter #10
Beautiful pictures Anil. Keep them coming !

Lovely place indeed. Scope for any wildlife ?
BTW, Storme looks majestic in that dark shade.
Manoj, yes, the place is really lovely. I could not even cover a fraction of the beauty of rosemala. There are chances of spotting wildlife. Wild elephant and pigs are very common and they often destroy the cultivation of the locals.

AppU, Thnaks for you compliment. I was driving storme since last 7 monts, but now only I got a chance to understand the power of storme.

Nice to see a Pattazhi yan[clap],

travelogues in TAI inspires me for another trip, every time.

I had been to Hyderabad Ramoji Film city via Bangalore,
Kanyakumari-Rameswaram-Madurai,
Valparai with a group of 17 ecosports,
Kalpatta-Thirunelli-Palakkad-pollachi-Valparai
Ekm-Idukki-Kumali
Pattazhy-Kumali trips on my Ecosport in last one year.

All trips were planned with the help od TAI travelogues. Thanks Anil and other TAI members[:D]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Nice to see a Pattazhi yan[clap],

travelogues in TAI inspires me for another trip, every time.

I had been to Hyderabad Ramoji Film city via Bangalore,
Kanyakumari-Rameswaram-Madurai,
Valparai with a group of 17 ecosports,
Kalpatta-Thirunelli-Palakkad-pollachi-Valparai
Ekm-Idukki-Kumali
Pattazhy-Kumali trips on my Ecosport in last one year.

All trips were planned with the help od TAI travelogues. Thanks Anil and other TAI members[:D]
You have travelled a lot. Ever been to Gavi?. Once I visited gavi by bus from pathanamthitta.

I am also a regular follower of TAI. I selected storme based on the input from the TAI members, I was following the respective thread since beginning.

Anil,

I couldn't make it to Gavi till date due to one or other reason.

Bus is better option, I was told, because of the road condition

they are permitting some limited private vehicles from pathanamthitta and kumali ends on first come first serve basis in a day

you might have enjoyed the journey by bus

could u see any wildlife closer?

Beautiful pictures Anil. Picture of Strome crossing the River is Awesome click. Punalur Bridge brings some old memories as we were to Thenmala and Kulathupuzha twice. Kindly share the exact route via Trivandrum.

Top Bottom