Unplanned Trip To Anaimalai, Parambikulam, Valparai

Thread Starter #1
Travellouge of my unplanned visit to paramibukulam, valparai:

intial plan was to visit parambikulam and stay there and return home next day. but the plan was changed into a 2 day trip.

kms covered: 952 in 2 days
occupants: 5
car: Tata safari.
date: Nov 2,3 2014

i rode from chennai to vriddachalamy(my home town) on saturday evening in a slight drizzle on my karizma. plan was to start sunday early morning. when i woke up at 3am to get the bags loaded, the rainfall was heavy. we waited till 6am and the rain has not stopped.

we took the bait and left home by 6.15.

route taken: Vriddachalam- trichy-dindugal-palani-sungam kutu road- thali-anaimalai- top slip.

upto dindugal the rainfall was very strong. my dad said the trip is going to be spoiled and we prayed to god. after crossing dindugal, rain stopped and the climate was cool and clear and we reached palani, there were no signs of rain. had breakfast at dindugal.

we reached palani by 11.25. took palani bypass and joined the udumalaipet road. the normal route that goes via udumalapet- pollachi-sungam cross roads is longer. we took a detour right after palani by pass and we passed througu kurikoottai- thali-pollachi sungam cross road- anaimalai- top slip.

the kurikottai road is shorter and the town of udumalaipet can be avodied. it's a single lane road and well laiid and speed of 70-80 is easy on this road. had lunch at a randome hotel in anaimalai and we are ar sethuamdai checkpost at 1.15. the upward joruney to top slip is horrendous and the potholes and there was no tarmac for a few kilometers. reached the kerela check post at 1.55 and i really pushed the safari hard on a tramac less places but the car took it. the weather was playing hide and seek with mist and rain.

to our disppaoint, the kl checkpost was closed and when we asked about the safari timmings, he said " sir the road is gone due to rain, we may start safari on monday or tuesday. But when we were about to leave, the guy said we have packages for 7000 and 5000 rupees. 7000 package is a tribal dance package with food, safari in their vechile. 5000 package our own vechiles are allowed in the forest. i asked them when their is no road, how we can visit forest? he was blinking sir you can visit tommorow sir. i was straight to the point, we want to see animals in your vehcile or ours? what is the rate?. he replied not possible sir come tommorow sir. if you go for for packages, you can stay today sir. we aksed for room, they said all rooms are filled. we asked how can we stay if we book for package? we have special room sir. we returned as he is of no use.

we quickly returend to anamaiali check post and asked about safari, by that time it was 2.30. the last van was fully loaded sir and not possible to accomadate extra person. was the reply. we aslked for room. room is there, but cook is out of station and you have to manage our food from sethumadai or anaimalai.

we asked about our vechile inside safari, the ranger agreed as dad used his influvence as he works in sectriat and ranger agreed but one guard will accopany us. my uncle stepped out( rear jump sets are useless) and said he will wait in the reception. we payed a total of 750 rupees and a VIP visit pass was given and a guard was there with us.

we started our journey. posting a few pics taken enroute

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
we started the ride into the forest. guard Mr. Sethuraman was very freindly. he said the total safari is 15 kms and another 4 kms if possible. got a bit of information from him, pramabikulam- top slip was explored during the flim shooting of suryan flim(sarathkumar tamil movie). both the govt took intrest after that and made the roads and turned it into a sanctuary. the teakwood tress are above 100 metres tall and they were standing for more than 100 years. they were planted by the british people. top slip was the hunting ground and game reserve for the british. some where around 1960, the region was split up into top slip and parambikulam. there were more than 100 tigers in 1991-1996, but the numbers declined in 2001-2002 due to poaching . after the tiger sanctuary status was given to anaimalai- paramibulam, severe rules were imposed and both govt set up joint patrolling, local tribes were employed and trained by both the govt to protect the forest.

according to last report of tigers in taminadu including sethumadai range, attakatti range, pollachi range, top slip range, thunakudu range and kerela's paraimbuklam were a megre of 25-30.

he was sharing information about trees which is very intresting. he said tigers sigthing is very rare as the number is very less. the last sighting of tiger was in july during a afternoon patrol in thunakudu range.

we were into 3 kilometes and the road changed to bad to worst. we spotted a few wild pigs, deers. further more the road was bad we have to negotiate a marshy terrain. the safari did with a bit it with a bit of reversing.

then we spotted one elephant . posting the deers, pigs and the lonely jumbo.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #5
we were into 8kms into the forest. all i can see is 2 narrow path with stones. was doing in 2nd gear and we decided to stop in thunakdavu village where kumki elephants are trained.

there were 12 kumki elephants and also a female wild elephant was being treated for a injury in leg as it was attacked by a predator. took pics with kumki calf elephtant murugan.

we continued the journey and we are able to see two more elephants. we decided to walk into a few yards in the forest.

we were near to a wild elephant which was bathing in a stream. we did not panic and we stood our ground. the elephant gave out a loud sound and continued bathing.

ranger said the elephant is warning us to stay there. we clicked a pic and left the place.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
then it starting raining. trekking and safari was cut short. but still managed to see some tuskers and i enjoyed every bit of it.

the last pic was my mom, elephant trainer sakthivel, ranger muthu, forest guard mr.sethuraman with my sister's kid in hand.

overall it was rewarding experience, the jumbo calf was very playful( forget the name). i was there for ten minutes.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
we finished the safari at 5.30. i took the safari through the worst terrains but the car was solid. i was almost riding through stone and pebbles and uneven roads, the side foot step took a mild hit.

we bid good bye to everyone. it was a awesome experience to be in close with a forest guard so informative about animal behaviour and warning signs.

we reached sethumadai around 6.15 and the weather was clear. we had tea. i told my mom to visit valparai and we picked a few resorts and the final decision was made at 6.30 to climb valparai.

we had to pass through anaimalai and pollachi sungam cross road by the time we reached the arch that where the valparai range starts time is 7.05. the road was good. by the time we reached first hair pin bend the downpour started. I could barely see the road ahead.

the down traffic was less and we were the only car to climb up. there were no buses also. my eyesight, driving skills were put to test. i knew if i give up the car will crash. luckily in the 4th hair pin bend i could see a KA registered innova was climing up.

the downpour was getting stronger. THe innova guy asked me to take the lead. i was crawling at snails phase negotiating each and every bend. when it was eight, i have climbed only 10 hair pin bends

there was minor land slide in 11 the hair pin bend and have to negotiate through a narrow path. i did it. the 13th hair pen bend a bus was climing bend. we meet each other in the middle of the bend. the bus guy asked me to climb up towards the left hand side so that he can make a turn.

i tried doing it. the half turn of safari didn't help matters. i climbed up the half bend and the front end of the car was near the bus but the bus driver carefully negotiated the curve. atleast after 10 mins i negotiated the bend.

by the time it was 9, i have covered 21 bends crawling in 1,2,3 gear and the temp needle was above half even thought it was raining and the climate is cool.

my dad searched for the resort in 22nd bend. we could not find the resiorts as it was raining heavily and the sign boards are not visisble. then i relaized the hotel called venkateswara inn near bus stand. i saved the owners number during my last visit in bike.

my uncle called that number and the owner responded yes sir room is avaialble and we also asked for food. the reply was positive. with half satisification, i was driving again. the down pour had decreased but it was study. the narrow roads made driving very difficult. we had more surpise for us in the 27th bend, a jumbo was in the middle of road breaking tree trunks and having it's dinner. it was shivering 15 mins. while the innova was behind us after a few mins, we were waiting there. finally a bus from kovai to salem arrived and the bus driver was brave. the bus driver without overtook both the cars and he started honking and flashing the lights and the jumbo started moving into the bushes. i followed the bus without wasting time. the rain has stopped totally in the 30th bend. the bus driver was so skilled he was negotiating curves as if he is riding in day light.

we reached the resturant at 9.55 and it was very cold and we had tea and dinner and hit the bed.

i reliazed it was a mistake to climb up valparai after dusk and things could have gone wrong easily, but somehow felt more confident of my driving skills has improved.

next day visit coming soon

Hi Pravin

That's a fantastic travelogue widely covered, and the pictures as well.

I feel you would have enjoyed your up hill drive to Valparai more if it was during daylight with mesmerizing views of green nature, tea plantations etc. But I am sure, you must have while coming down.

Thanks for sharing

Thread Starter #9
Thank you RAM sir. I had a good time in although the whole trip was tiring as it was completed in 2 days.

we woke up early morning and check the hotel by 6. we started our run towards athirpally. Although we did not want to visit places, aim is to spot animals.

we took the huringal road which is well laid. We reached sholayar dam first. the dam was at it's glory. fulll of water. purchased some good quality tea packets.

then we continued towards the athripally and reached KL check post at 7.55. the route to athripally is very worse. worse than the forest road that i drove in anaimalai. we drove upto the next KL check post we got the car checked and returned back to valparai around 12.40. we could not spot even a single animal through the entire strecth baring a few birds.

had lunch at kirti home stay. food was excellent. then climb down started at 1.20 and we reached the aliyar at 3.40. without wasting much time we started jorunery towards home town.

pics to follow

Attachments

Thread Starter #10
more pics from valparai. i saw a dog at sholyar dam demostrating acrobatic skills, the dog was running on the wall of the dam without falling. god was jumping and climbing up the wall continuously with great stability

Attachments

Thread Starter #11
while coming down, we saw a lot of nilgiri thar the icon of valaparai. they were nearly 15 in number.

Attachments

Thread Starter #12
kms done: 952
fuel consumed: 68 liters( measured on full tank basis)
mileafe: 14 kmpl

average speed: 80-100 top speed: 170 on the speedo

the effect of driving the car in the forest road had it's tool, there was change is wheel alingment. did wheel alignment after reaching home.

it was awesome experience. great to be away from hectic life of IT.

Attachments

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I am planning for a trip from Chennai to a hill station this December. Confused between Kodai, Munnar and Valparai.

Excellent. Thanks for sharing. I am planning for a trip from Chennai to a hill station this December. Confused between Kodai, Munnar and Valparai.

My Preference will be like Munnar, Kodai and Valparai.

Munnar is just Awesome and I'm ready to visit anytime.

Thread Starter #15
Kodai does not have lot of attractions, anyday munnar is better.

i would suggest you to combine munnar and top slip/parambikulam, or valparai and top slip /parambikualm, 4 days would be more than enough for this enough.

i would like to mention venkateswara inn near valparai bus stand is very good in terms of food, room, facility and atmosphere provided you wanna stay in town or check some resorts. Munnar has higher accomadation charges when compared to valparai.

Top Bottom