Destination Munnar - In Search of Nature and Wildlife...

Thread Starter #1
Last week, we did a 1304 kms trip to Kerala. The places covered were Thattekad, Kuttampuzha and Munnar. Initially we had a choice of Valparai or Munnar as the destination. We decided on Munnar as it was quite some time since we visited Munnar and we wanted to see it after the rainy season.

While exploring the Google Maps for areas near Munnar, we saw Dr. Salim Ali’s Bird Sanctuary @ Thattedad which was just 80 odd kms from Munnar. We had never been inside a bird sanctuary in spite of our attraction towards birds. So we thought, why not. After a lot of planning to fit a visit to the sanctuary from Munnar, we thought it was best to visit the sanctuary first and then to proceed to Munnar.

We booked accommodation in both Thattekad (2 nights) and Munnar (4 nights) weeks ahead and reassigned/distributed some of my work load and had myself free for the trip. (had taken 5 days off)

The plan was to start at 4 AM and reach Thattekad by 3 or 4 PM and have some time for some lazy birding before checking in at the homestay.

The route we took was Hosur -> Salem -> Avinashi -> Palladam -> Pollachi -> Kollengode -> Nemmara -> Wadakkencherry -> Mannuthy -> Angamaly -> Perumbavoor -> Kothamangalam -> Thattekad.

We planned to make 2 brief stops en route – one to meet our member A. R. Ram at Nemmara and the next at Kuruppampady, just past Perumbavoor, to meet the family of my old friend.

On 16th we left home half an hour late, at 4:30 am and reached Sree Saravana Bhavan past Salem for an early breakfast. The roads till Pollachi were great and we made it in quick time knowing that Kerala roads will slow us down.

Reached Nemmara around 11:30 AM and met Ram. A very nice person and we started talking about various things and didn’t realize that we had talked for around two and a half hours. So we said bye and left for our next stop. The traffic from Wadakkencherry till Mannuthy (30 kms) was really irritating. Once we reached the 4 lane toll road, the traffic eased up. We had our lunch at a hotel on the Trichur bypass and reached our next stop at my friends place around 4:30 PM. By the time we left their place it was dark and used the GPS to reach Thettakad by around 7:45 PM.

The climate in both the places were bad (cloudy and raining on and off). So we could not take good pictures.

Thettakad...

P1040583.jpg

P1040585.jpg

P1040586.jpg

[to be cont.]

Thread Starter #2
We settled in the homestay for the night and the next day early morning drove to Kuttampuzha for a bird watching trek arranged by the homestay. The birding season had not started yet and due to the rains, we were able to see only a few birds. We trekked through some clean wide path, then climbed up some rocks, through some narrow leech infested forest trail, crossed a forest stream… it was quite a work out for us. Reached back around 10:30 AM and then the rains started. The rain continued till evening and the rest of the day was spend in the homestay.

The trek...

P1040554.jpg

P1040565.jpg

P1040566.jpg

P1040574.jpg

P1040579.jpg

Sri Lankan Frog Mouth...

DSC_9877 lowres.jpg

DSC_9928 lowres.jpg

Malabar Trogon... an immature one...

DSC_9975.jpg

Giant wood spider???

DSC_9716 lowres.jpg

Malabar Giant Squirrel...

DSC_0007 lowres.jpg

Racket-tailed Drongo...

DSC_9991.jpg

We also saw the following birds at a distance, (out of range of my lens), that we shot just for our record.

Gold-fronted leafbird...

DSC_9785.jpg

Sunbird...

DSC_9791.jpg

Chestnut-tailed Shrike...

DSC_9807.jpg

Brown Shrike...

DSC_9825.jpg

[to be cont.]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Superb pictures!

As expected from you!

Waiting for rest
Thank you, Rajeshmurali!

Nice one HR, Please keep it coming.
Thank you, mgobinathbe!

Stand out picture. what camera and lens are you using.
@amitkm even im intersted like u to know the make of the lens and the camera. the pics have come out amazing.
Thank you. I like and use Nikon stuff.

The next day we had some time in the morning to do a short walk inside the sanctuary before it started raining. We saw a few birds and returned to the home-stay to pack up and start our drive to Munnar.

Lesser Whistling Teal...

DSC_0040.jpg

Stork-billed Kingfisher...

DSC_0111 lowres.jpg

Pond Heron...

DSC_0163 lowres.jpg

DSC_0196 lowres.jpg

Common Myna...

DSC_0340 lowres.jpg

No ID yet...

DSC_0344 lowres.jpg

a couple of Lesser Whistling Teals... not in talking terms, I guess...

DSC_0512 lowres.jpg

Common Kingfisher...

DSC_0593 lowres.jpg

DSC_0653.jpg

DSC_0742 lowres.jpg

DSC_0949 lowres.jpg

DSC_0968 lowres.jpg

DSC_1019 lowres.jpg

The Dollar Bird...

DSC_0878 lowres.jpg

DSC_0882 lowres.jpg

DSC_0908 lowres.jpg

Malabar Grey Hornbill...

DSC_0689 lowres.jpg

DSC_0701 lowres.jpg

Oriental Magpie Robin...

DSC_1079 lowres.jpg

Damselfly...

DSC_9953 lowres.jpg

[to be cont.]

im spell bound.[clap] Amazing Photo graphs keep it coming. pls write more about your travelogue with Pics off course. Hey And never knew the last pic creature is called damselfly we used to call it Helicopter [lol][lol].

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the lovely comment HR

The time I had with you was really splendid.

You have amazing eyes to see these birds so precisely and above all to capture their vivid image so brilliantly.

Thanks for sharing

Thread Starter #12
im spell bound. Amazing Photo graphs keep it coming. pls write more about your travelogue with Pics off course. Hey And never knew the last pic creature is called damselfly we used to call it Helicopter .
Thank you! BTW, there are Dragonflies as well.[;)]

Great photography with naming of Birds.
Thank you, ASIR!

Thank you so much for the lovely comment HR

The time I had with you was really splendid.

You have amazing eyes to see these birds so precisely and above all to capture their vivid image so brilliantly.

Thanks for sharing
Ha ha! Thank you, Ram, for your time. My pleasure. BTW, my wife is a great wildlife/bird spotter as well![:D]

Wonderful photographs . you seems to have covered emotions of birds as well in your photos.
Srilankan frog mouth seems to be a bit grumpy about being photographed.
Thank you! The Sri Lankan Frog mouths are so sure of their camouflage that they don't mind if you approach them even as close as 2 meters.

We left Thettakad around 2:30 PM and started for Munnar. The first half part of the drive was cool with not much traffic. We saw the beautiful Cheeyapara waterfalls in full glory. But the sad part was that it was raining heavily and we could not take any pictures. We just stopped for some time and since the rain didn’t show any sign of stopping, we continued towards Munnar. There were a couple of minor landslides and hence some traffic jams. By the time we reached Munnar, it was around 5:30 PM and was already dark.

Thanks to the info provided by a member of another forum, we had already booked a place just a kilometer from Munnar on the Mattupatty dam road. We settled in, had our dinner and retired for the day. (nothing else to do as it was raining)

The next morning we just drove around on the Chinnar route stopping here and there for bird watching. Though we did see a lot of birds, it was difficult to photograph them due to a light drizzle, and low light.
Before going out, we explored the property and found these…

Flowers from the garden...

DSC_1524.jpg

DSC_1529.jpg

DSC_1546.jpg

DSC_1535.jpg

DSC_1342.jpg

DSC_1158.jpg

a Spider Web, like a Pearl necklace after the overnight rain...

DSC_1398.jpg

some birds, like this Yellow Wagtail among the Yellow flowers...

DSC_1397.jpg

And this Malabar Whistling Thrush that entertained us with its beautiful music every morning of our stay there...

DSC_1441 lowres.jpg

Can't imagine a trip to Kerala without Dragonflies...

DSC_1413.jpg

DSC_1402.jpg

Some of the birds that we saw on the drive...

DSC_1271 lowres.jpg

Red vented Bulbuls... in love?

DSC_1242.jpg

Niligiri Flycatcher...

DSC_1322 lowres.jpg

DSC_1326 lowres.jpg

DSC_1340 lowres.jpg

[to be cont.]

[:D] yeah. The photos of the flowers and yes the dragonfly is come nice. however the spider web necklace is splendid. I think Your camera is done a gr8 Job[;)] ( Along with you Off course)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
[:D] yeah. The photos of the flowers and yes the dragonfly is come nice. however the spider web necklace is splendid. I think Your camera is done a gr8 Job[;)] ( Along with you Off course)
You are absolutely right. My camera takes great pictures. That is why I bought it...[lol]

After returning from our drive we spend the rest of the day just chilling out. The next day morning we drove towards Mattupatty dam and Kundala dam. We skipped Top Station as we did not want to do the long climb down and up.

A change from wildlife to nature…

a view from where we stayed...

DSC_9510 lowres.jpg

The road top Mattupatty dam was good... though broken at places...

DSC_9538 lowres.jpg

DSC_9539 lowres.jpg

DSC_9541 lowres.jpg

DSC_9548 lowres.jpg

DSC_9552 lowres.jpg

DSC_9557 lowres.jpg

DSC_9561 lowres.jpg

DSC_9591 lowres.jpg

DSC_9592 lowres.jpg

DSC_9628 lowres.jpg

DSC_9636 lowres.jpg

DSC_9639 lowres.jpg