1270 km, 2 States, 2 Days...!

Thread Starter #1
Origin: Hyderabad
Destination: Paradip (Odisha)
Month/Year: Sept 2014
Total Kms Covered: 1268.7km
Total Time Taken: 40 hours
Route Taken: Hyderabad -> Vijayawada -> Vishakhapatnam -> Ichchapuram -> Balugaon -> Bhubaneshwar -> Cuttack- > Paradip

Finally it was time to take Dyret along to Odisha. It was a pleasant day with clear skies as my parents, my friend and I started from Hyderabad at 0815 hrs on 13th Sep 14. Filled her tank up and had Nitrogen topped up in all the tyres previous day itself. The city roads were pretty crowded in the morning so it took some time to reach Nagole outskirts.

We stopped for breakfast at Organic Hotel Village Aharam on Hyd-Vijayawada highway which is about 60kms away from city. This restaurant has specialties like multi-grain dosa, vadas and beetroot juice etc and the food is very tasty. So people travelling in this route can try at this place next time. They serve water in earthen pots and glasses which is different yet good.

DSC00669 edited.JPG

DSC00671 edited.JPG

DSC00680 edited.JPG
Delicious Food

DSC00709 edited.JPG
Hyd-Vijayawada Expressway

Next stop was Vijayawada Kanaka Durga temple which was about 280km from the starting point and reached by 1200hrs. It was quite hot and sultry. There is a lot of renovation going on in the main temple but yet it was a good experience. Darshan was quick as not many devotees seen around even though being a Saturday.

DSC00719 edited.JPG
View from KanakaDurga Temple

Next was lunch. It was my father’s suggestion to have lunch at Mayur as it is quite a famous one. We had Meals and the food was ok. My parents headed back to Hyderabad from Vijayawada. So the journey continued to Visakhapatnam with just two of us which commenced at 1430hrs. The road just in the outskirts of Vijayawada is not so good and there was a considerable amount of traffic which slowed down the speed drastically. The condition of the road was better after some distance and the traffic reduced. We took short breaks after every 100-150km. We reached Visakhapatnam by 2030hrs. The drive was good and not very tiresome. We checked into a room and retired for the day. The odometer read 691km at the end of the day.

DSC00811 edited.JPG

The plan was to start early the next day but we were too lazy to get up in the morning and my friend had little work which delayed our start time to 1030hrs. We decided to join the Chennai-Visakhapatnam - Kolkata highway after Rushikonda beach. So we drove slowly taking the beach road. The weather was quite hot but the view was great. We stopped enroute to click few pics and also a quick stop at Rushikonda beach.

DSC00898 edited.JPG
Sea-View

DSC00906 edited.JPG
Beast by the Sea

We spent some time there and finally took the highway at 1200hrs. We stopped for refueling and again filled up with 40litres of Diesel. We stopped in Srikakulam for lunch. We took some time to locate a decent dabha but in vain. Finally found one- MY friends Dabha. The food was okay but quite expensive. There are no decent restaurants once you cross Visakhapatnam.

We had our lunch and set for Bhubaneshwar, our next destination which was about 500km from vizag at 1400. It’s a two lane road on each side with a divider and was in a very good condition. You don’t find much civilization on the way and its just lush green fields and hills surrounding you. As we approached sun set the views were improving with small villages which one can find after a considerable distance.

DSC00968 edited.JPG
Srikakulam to Bhubaneshwar road

We did comfortable speeds of 80-90kmph throughout the route and the drive was quite enjoyable. We finally reached Bhubaneshwar by 1900hrs with 2 stops in between. It’s a straight road from Visakhapatnam with no diversions and the road is very good.

DSC01001 edited.JPG
Fields by the road

DSC01002 edited.JPG
Beauty....isn't it?

We decided to have some snacks at KFC and found one enroute and realized it was a bad decision later as it had a very long queue. We finally started from Bhubaneshwar to Paradip which was about 130 km at 2130. The route is Bhubaneshwar-Cuttack-Paradip. Bhubaneshwar roads were quite crowded as construction of a long flyover is in progress. The road from Cuttack to Paradip is a small one with just two lanes without a divider. You need to be constantly straining your eyes to look out for cattle and villagers crossing the road in the badly lit roads. There are no street lights in the entire stretch. We finally reached the Paradip port area by 2315hrs. We checked into a Hotel to rest for the day. Our eventful journey has ended with clocking 1268kms in two days which is my first long solo drive(my friend doesn’t drive) of more than 1000km.

Total fuel filled was 105 litres and there is a about 25% of fuel remaining after we reached the destination. So I assumed the consumption to be 85 litres which still gave me an average of 15kmpl with AC switched on during the whole route. Now this was a shocking yet a pleasant surprise. :). I enjoyed the stretch from Visakhapatnam to Bhubaneshwar the most. Beautiful views all along the route. Visakhapatnam is always beautiful(my personal view) and the drive from Ramakrishna beach to Rushikonda is the best.!

Attachments

Excellent travelogue Sir. Will you please let me know what was the driving time between Bhubaneswar and Vizag, driving in a sedate pace?

Thread Starter #6
Excellent travelogue Sir. Will you please let me know what was the driving time between Bhubaneswar and Vizag, driving in a sedate pace?
Hello Mr. Rahul. Driving time from Vizag to Bhubaneshwar at speeds of 80-90kmph would take about 07 hours wit one or two stops.

Superb traelogue and nice set of pictures as well.
Congratulations on your journey and thankyou for sharing it with us.

Driving time from Vizag to Bhubaneshwar at speeds of 80-90kmph would take about 07 hours wit one or two stops.
One more question Sir. Did you notice any long line of trucks at the Orissa-Andhra Pradesh border checkpost, which may cause some extra time to be wasted?

These are the kind of travelogues I always wait for. I was actually searching for the description of your beast, the Safari in the opening post. Somehow, whenever I come across travelogues with over 1000s of kms covered a single stretch, the thought of Safari or Scorpio comes to my mind.
Expecting loads of pictures.

Top Bottom