A Short Trip To Giridih, Madhupur, Deoghar and Rajgir.

Thread Starter #1
Hi friends,
Had been to a short four day trip to Jharkhand and Bihar. Spent two nights at Madhupur and two nights and Rajgir, being accompanied by my wife and daughter. Wish to share my short trip report with you. Hope you will like it.

Initially I decided to start on 27th of September early in the morning. But the previous night we planned to skip dinner at home and decided to bring some food from outside. Ultimately decided to leave home on 26th by eleven O'clock at night, eat our food at any highway eatery and continue on our journey.

The road (NH-2) was choked with heavy truck traffic. One bridge was closed for repair some twenty-five KMs away from Dankuni (about 40 KM from Calcutta). We wasted about one and half hour there. At Panagarh there was another traffic held up and we wasted a good 45 minutes. My destination was Madhupur. I was told by my friends that the short route to Madhupur going via Chittaranjan and Jamtara was somewhat broken. The road via Giridih was better, though it was worth another 85 Kms of extra travel. Selected the longer route and drove slowly up to Govindpur (where the road to Dhanbad branches off at left) and reached there at half past six. The road to Giridih also starts from that very place, if you turn right at the intersection. It is a very scenic road.
DSC_0006.JPG

DSC_0014.JPG

DSC_0016.JPG

I had no GPS device in my car but Google maps helped me in planning my trip. I knew that Usri waterfalls should come on our way, so kept our eyes open. After crossing Usri river on our way took the first narrow toad on our left. There was absolutely no soul anywhere and we visited the waterfall all to ourselves.

This is where we stopped and got out from my almost ten year old Tata Indigo car (Petrol/MPFI-1,50,000 KM+), visible in the picture.
DSC_0021.JPG

The waterfall. As the rainfall was good this year, water was falling freely and the viewing gallery was also getting some blast of it.
DSC_0019.JPG

Reached Giridih town soon thereafter. Had breakfast at this hotel, which was named Galy International. It had parking space for two or three cars and rooms for staying too. Only Aloo-paratha was available and we had to remain content with it.
DSC_0024.JPG

The waiter confirmed that it is better to visit Khandoli reservoir on our way. I knew that it was indeed a very beautiful place. Boating facility was also available there for a small fee.
DSC_0037.JPG

The nearby park was also very beautifully maintained, something rare in eastern India (no offence meant to anyone).
DSC_0036.JPG

DSC_0038.JPG

DSC_0039.JPG

DSC_0040.JPG

DSC_0043.JPG
After having a break of one hour we continued our journey and reached Madhupur by half past eleven at noon. But I shall end this writing right here, though I promise I shall conclude my trip report very soon.
Thanks for reading,
Warm regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Cossipore, North Calcutta.

Thread Starter #3
Wonderful TL as usual Rahul da. I am amazed by your Indigo day by day.
Thanks Anshuman. I guess any modern day car is manufactured to last for at least three lakh KMs, before major problems are faced from the engine, gearbox, etc, if taken care of properly.

Now to continue with my travelogue, I should say that Madhupur is a very small sleepy town. There is nothing much to see there, though the town once had a large sized Bengali population, as there was a trend among many Bengali gentlemen to have a house there, in the decade of 1930-1940s. Many of the buildings still stand, though in bad shape. I was asked to stay at Leela Kamal Guest House. I was told that it was really a large house with a garden. But the choice was bad. It was far off from the heart of the town, isolated inside an alley, with not even a soul in sight after sunset. Mosquitoes were a menace. TVs did not work there with generators. And though the owners served very good food, they refused to operate generators after eleven O'clock at night, in spite of unusually large scale power cut, leaving you perspiring in the middle of night.

Anyway, this is a picture of the guest house.
DSC_0046.JPG

Part of the garden.
DSC_0048.JPG

Rose in the garden.
DSC_0050.JPG

This is Madhupur-Deoghar road. Some portion was good, while some part was unpaved.
DSC_0052.JPG

DSC_0054.JPG

DSC_0056.JPG

This is Deoghar-Dumka road, where Trikut Parvat (a small hill really) is located.
DSC_0057.JPG

The road to Trikut Parvat, after leaving the main road.
DSC_0061.JPG

The rope-way was good.
DSC_0063.JPG

DSC_0066.JPG

Allow me to share a photo of me and my wife standing on the hill.
DSC_0075.JPG

Thank you very much for reading this.
Warm regards,
Rahul

Rahul Da

Shubho Bijoya to you and family.Can you tell us something more about Deoghar like place to stay and places to visit. If possible post some pictures, Do you know anything about Jositi a place near Deoghar. It use to be famous for a place called Arogya Dham where people use to go for a change. It was very healthy and economical.

Thread Starter #5
Shubho Bijoya to you and family.
Thank you very much.[:)]
Can you tell us something more about Deoghar like place to stay and places to visit. If possible post some pictures,
You better reach the "Tower Chowk" area inside Deoghar town, which is sort of the city center. Lots of hotels are scattered all around it and I am sure you will get one according to your taste. Unless you are going there in the month of "Sravan", I guess no advance booking is also needed. And I am sorry to say that there are only two places to visit in Deoghar, beside innumerable temples and "Asrams". I did not visit any temple or any other religious place and only visited Trikut Pahar and Nandan Pahar.
Do you know anything about Jositi a place near Deoghar. It use to be famous for a place called Arogya Dham where people use to go for a change. It was very healthy and economical.
Are you talking of Jasidih? Though it is a big town and a very big railway station, I am sorry I did not visit it, as I planned to skip Simulatala in this visit of mine.

Thread Starter #6
Hi friends,
Now, on the third day of our trip I returned back to Giridih, because Google maps showed me a road which goes all the way to Koderma town, on my way to Rajgir. (in Bihar). Although I visited Rajgir previously few years ago, I wished to visit Pawapuri this time. One thing I must say that the quality of roads do not have any uniform consistency in Jharkhand. It is not that they are bad. In fact, they are possibly better when compared to my own state of West Bengal. What I wish to mean was that a very good road may even have few very bad stretches there. In our state the total length of the road may be bad. But I have rarely seen such stretches of very bad sections in an otherwise beautiful road.

The beautiful road going to Koderma from Giridih.
DSC_0085.JPG

DSC_0086.JPG

One very bad section is here, what I just wrote about.
DSC_0082.JPG

This one is slightly better, but for a small hatchback may be difficult to negotiate. In fact, the potholes are worse than they appear here in these pictures, as they were taken from inside the car.
DSC_0084.JPG

This is after reaching Koderma and joining NH-31.
DSC_0094.JPG

A view of the Jal-Mandir, (water temple) from a distance. But I am sorry I could not appreciate it fully, as the lake was full of water hyacinth.
DSC_0099.JPG

The road to Rajgir.
DSC_0106.JPG

DSC_0107.JPG

Reached Rajgir by half past one O'clock, went to my hotel and had our lunch. As I had been there before, I did not come out of the hotel in the afternoon, though my wife and daughter went out to see the Durga Pujas taking place there.
Thanks for reading this. Any comments or questions are very much solicited.
Regards,
Rahul,
Calcutta.

Thread Starter #7
The next day of my visit I stayed at Rajgir and visited the local places of interest. I also went to Nalanda and took part in the local (Durga) puja festivities. The day after that I returned home, travelling via NH-2, having a great visit at Topchanchi lake (near Dhanbad).
Regards,
Rahul,
Calcutta

Thread Starter #8
Dear Friends,
I now like to post few more pictures taken during my visit. Hope you may like these too.

These are the ruins of Nalanda university.
DSC_0119.JPG

DSC_0120.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

The rope-way at Rajgir. Unlike the one at Deoghar, it is little scary.
DSC_0135.JPG

A signboard on the NH-31.
DSC_0153.JPG

This is the lake of Jhumritilaya, very close to Koderma, the picture taken from the car on the main highway.
DSC_0160.JPG

The very nice NH-2.
DSC_0167.JPG

DSC_0171.JPG

A part of the Topchanchi lake. It is only a couple of KM from the main highway connecting Calcutta with Delhi (NH-2).
DSC_0177.JPG

The security guard became a fast friend with me and boarded my car. There is a road going past the total boundary. He sat in my car and kept on giving me detailed descriptions of different movies which was filmed at these areas.
DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG
Hope you will like these pictures.
Warm regards,
Rahul Biswas,
Calcutta.

Rahul Da

Shubho Bijoya to you and family.Can you tell us something more about Deoghar like place to stay and places to visit. If possible post some pictures, Do you know anything about Jositi a place near Deoghar. It use to be famous for a place called Arogya Dham where people use to go for a change. It was very healthy and economical.
I presume you are referring to Jasidih. It is the next major railway halt after Madhupur in the Howrah Delhi main line. The railway line to Deoghar branches of from here.

I have been here twice. Stayed here and visited Deoghar which is just 20 mins by road. You can also visit Simultala from here.

Jasidih had been an outstanding place to visit for me. The Mitra garden resort was built up on a huge property with garden, swimming pool (indoor & outdoor), machans, bar b ques, amazing food etc. Was a very nostalgic place for me.

Sorry Rahul --- Missed the thread early though I knew you had visited. That entire stretch is beautiful and thanks for the Usri falls pictures. It was where Proff Shanku used to take his morning walks whenever he used to be in his home in Giridih (Satyajit Ray classics)

Topchanchi is a beautiful place also. It became famous as Ashok Kumar and Suchitra Sen filmed the famous song "ei sundaro swarnali sondhyaye, eki bondhone jorale go bondhu". I stayed in Topchanchi on my way to Kathmandu in 1987. I was not driving as I did not have a licence being under 18 but my uncle was driving

Last edited:
Hi Rahul,
I am planning to go to Siliguri on 20th December and wondering where to have a first night halt. Bhagalpur or Deoghar. Do you have any update about Dumka-Bhagalpur road and Dumka - Deoghar Road condition. I will be travelling with my two children by a Honda City.
Thanks,
Sisir

Thread Starter #11
I am planning to go to Siliguri on 20th December and wondering where to have a first night halt. Bhagalpur or Deoghar.
Shall you start your journey from Calcutta? Am asking because Deoghar is always a long long detour, whichever road you may take to reach Siliguri from Calcutta.

Do you have any update about Dumka-Bhagalpur road and Dumka - Deoghar Road condition.
I do. But why Deoghar again? Do you have any relative or any ancestral house there?
I will be travelling with my two children by a Honda City.
Nice car, really. I envy you. IVTEC?[:)]

Hi Rahul,
I was thinking Deoghar as a stopover on the way to Kolkata -Siliguri as I heard Dumka-Bhagalpur is nightmare and Deoghar-Bhagalpur is good. Anyways now I got a hotel at Bhagalpur so I will be staying there and wnat to know the road condition between two places.
Thanks for your help.
Sisir

Thread Starter #13
Anyways now I got a hotel at Bhagalpur so I will be staying there and wnat to know the road condition between two places.
I suggest that you better take exactly this route up to Bhagalpur. But let me also tell you that though this road is good in West Bengal and is excellent in Jharkhand, it is in bad shape in the state of Bihar (up to Bhagalpur). Once in Bihar, you have to drive cautiously about eighty KMs or so, unless you reach Bhagalpur. Though you shall be driving a Honda city, rest assured that it shall not be difficult, with somewhat careful driving.

Once when you cross Vikramshila bridge at Bhagalpur, do not attempt to drive further. The road (about 20 KM or so, until you reach NH-31) ahead is horrible and is sure to scrap the bottom of your car. I repeat, do not drive further, please take the immediate first road on your right. It is a single lane road, fit for only one car and you may have to face little difficulty when you see any other vehicle coming from the opposite direction. But it has a smooth surface and is used by the locals. In case you lose direction on that road, ask the locals for "Tetri Durga Mandir". When you reach the temple and are standing alongside it, take a left to reach the highway. You have crossed the last hurdle. NH-31 is a very smooth road. Though it is an undivided road (up to Purnia), it is very wide, in places wide enough for four cars abreast.

Drive safe! [:)]

Thread Starter #15
Thank you Rahul for the info. I am sure as 20th approaches, I may have some more questions.
No problem. It is a pleasure of mine. But please remember that I myself am driving for Vishakhapatnam on 19th of this month (at night) and will be out of the city for at least a week. So it may not be possible for me to access the internet during that time and respond to any query from your side.

Top Bottom