Lohagar Fort Monsoon Trek on 10th July 2010.

Thread Starter #1
Lohagad is one of the many hill forts of Chatrapati Shivaji. It is situated 52 km from Pune in western India. Lohagad is at an elevation of 3,450 feet (1,052 m).

Geography
It divides the basins of the Indrayani and Pavna and is situated on a side range of the Sahyadris. The Visapur fort is located on its eastern side. The four large gates of Lohagad are still in good condition and reasonably intact. Historical records show that in the later Peshwa period, Nana Phadnavis (1742-1800 AD) built several structures in the fort such as a big tank and a step-well (bawali).
On the west side, there is a long and narrow wall-like fortified spur called Vinchukata (Marathi for Scorpion's tail; see picture) because of its shape. Lohagad has a long history with several dynasties occupying it at different periods of time: Satavahanas, Chalukyas, Rashtrakutas, Yadavas, Bahamanis, Nizamshahis, Mughals and Marathas. Shivaji captured it in 1648 CE, but he was forced to surrender it to the Mughals in 1665 CE by the Treaty of Purandar. Shivaji recaptured the fort in 1670 CE and used it for keeping his treasury.

How to reach the fort
From Mumbai, you can take a train to Lonavla. Malawli is the next station from Lonavla in the direction toward Pune. There are a number of local trains operating between Lonavla and Pune; you can take any of them. From Pune, you can take any of these locals.
From Malawli railway station, the fort is just 9 km away. Vehicles can go up to the foot of the hill. From here, which is near a village called Lohagaon, there are steps to the fort, numbering approximately 500.

However, people can also walk all the way till the fort. Bhaja Caves is on the way to Lohagad if a small diversion is taken. This walk is a particular favorite of trekkers, especially in the monsoon. It is a simple and easy trek and the distance from Malawli station to Bhaje gaav takes about 20 min. Distance between Malavli and Lohagadwadi can be covered in around 2-2.5 hrs. The trekking route is not very treacherous even when it rains and even inexperienced climbers can easily walk till the fort enjoying the particularly picturesque scenery, lush green grass, cool mountain air, and the pleasant salubrious climate. A variety of birds and insects can also be spotted in these hills.
There is a way to reach by Road. There are two different routes to reach the base of Lohgad by car. For people traveling from Mumbai or staying back in PCMC, the route is via Lonavala. If starting from Pune take old Mumbai Pune highway. Just after you cross toll plaza before lonavala, keep your left till you cross “Manshakti” There is a Y type left turn just after “Manshakti” Take that left and drive for another 200 odd meter to take very first left again You are on way to lohgad after crossing the place called “Bhangarwadi” from where it is just 8–10 km. If you come across a railway crossing and Mumbai-Pune highway twice you are on right track. You are on way to Paud, continue till you reach “Dudhiware Khind” Just before it, take left for Lohgad from here it is around 4 km max. The road ahead is very steep with couple of sharp turns but safe.

For people traveling from Pune city, the route is via Chandani chowk – Pirangut - Paud After reaching Paud take right and drive for around 40 odd km. Just after you cross “Dudhiware Khind” you reach to the same place Take right for Lohgad base.

It is tar road and you can reach comfortably till the “Paytha”. Have a safe drive. It’s a wonderful place and should be tried in between mid August to mid Sept. when you can still have rain but the intensity comes down.
When it rains, the top of the fort is covered with mist and clouds and becomes particularly wet. It is advisable to carry protective gear during the rainy season (mid-June to mid-September). Further, food is not easily available on the route. Most of the food stalls sell water, poha, tea/coffee, snacks, and soft drinks.
A panoramic view of the Pawna dam can be seen from the fort.

Content Source: Wikipedia

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow awsome location, Wished i would have known you when i visited Shirdi ,
, Because in Pune i roamed the whole city while going to Shirdi.
Later came to know a few names Hadapsar, Ahmad Nagar highway, & finally we were back on track.[frustration].
I didn't knew all these places.
Nice travelogue & pics too.[thumbsup]

And the name of thread is it ? Lohaghad Fort Monsoon trek or Mansion

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Wow awsome location, Wished i would have known you when i visited Shirdi ,
, Because in Pune i roamed the whole city while going to Shirdi.
Later came to know a few names Hadapsar, Ahmad Nagar highway, & finally we were back on track.[frustration].
I didn't knew all these places.
Nice travelogue & pics too.[thumbsup]

And the name of thread is it ? Lohaghad Fort Monsoon trek or Mansion
Really Nice Place. Their is two option for fort 1st is Treaking and another you can Directly go to Base of fort on 4 wheeler.

:sorry:Spelling mistake. No F7 in Title. Its Monsoon (Rainy Season). Moderators can you :please: change it.

Really Nice Place. Their is two option for fort 1st is Treaking and another you can Directly go to Base of fort on 4 wheeler.

Spelling mistake. No F7 in Title. Its Monsoon (Rainy Season). Moderators can you change it.
From which route one has to go this place from Pune.
Because i roamed the whole city of pune within a day .
From the starting tunnel of Pune till Airport, Shoppers Stop Etc.
A lot of construction work was also going on with no proper signboards.
And also while returning back from Nasik,Panchavati we came back to Pune.
Really Pune city has wasted a lot of place in terms of foot path.
And which stunned me was a dedicated path for cycles,& red buses.

Attachments

Thread Starter #5
From which route one has to go this place from Pune.
Because i roamed the whole city of pune within a day .
From the starting tunnel of Pune till Airport, Shoppers Stop Etc.
A lot of construction work was also going on with no proper signboards.
And also while returning back from Nasik,Panchavati we came back to Pune.
Really Pune city has wasted a lot of place in terms of foot path.
And which stunned me was a dedicated path for cycles,& red buses.
Pune District along with Pune City if full of Tourist Destination Place. You need info about it.

Please yous Google map for getting exact direction Direction. Their are 2-3 routes. One is Pune Bombay Highway to Lonavala another one is Chandani chauk Paud route.

To reach Lohagad from Pune one can either take a local train; there are a number of local trains operating between Pune and Lonavala; you can take any of them and alight at Malawli. If one is driving from Pune to Lohagad one has to take the Pune Bombay highways and get off the highway at Malawli. From Malawli railway station, the fort is just 9 km away. Vehicles can go up to the foot of the hill. From here, which is near a village called Lohagaon, there are steps to the fort.

However, people can also walk all the way till the fort. Bhaje Caves is on the way to Lohagad if a small diversion is taken. This walk is a particular favorite of trekkers, especially in the monsoon. It is a simple and easy trek and the distance from Malawli station to Bhaje gaav takes about 20 min. Distance between Malawli and Lohagadwadi can be covered in around 2-2.5 hrs. The trekking route is not very treacherous even when it rains and even inexperienced climbers can easily walk till the fort enjoying the icturesque scenery, lush green grass, cool mountain air, and the pleasant salubrious climate. Lohagad is an ideal one day trek because of its ease and accesibility especialy the local trains.

350Z

Core Team
That is such a pleasant and scenic location and your photography always adds the viewing pleasure to it. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
More Photos........ Enjoy !!! [clap]

:sorry: I am not getting time to write reviews on Travelogue. These days i am becoming lazy of typing. If I am not going to Shivneri fort, I will try to make detail report for others on weekend.

Attachments

Top Bottom