To the La(o)st Land in Southern India in RD

Thread Starter #1
Prelogue

To drive through Pamban Bridge was always in the mind for over few years which got materialized only during August 2014. There was a child like enthusiasm to drive in this bridge. Co-incidentally this was done on 15th August. There was little confusion which route to take either via Trichy - Pudukottai or via Madurai - Sivaganga. Google map helped me in deciding in the route

Google Map.jpg

Ride:
Duster with me, wifey and my son
Route taken:
Chennai - Tambaram - Villupuram - Ulundurpet - Perambalur - Ariyalur - Trichy - 323 kms.
Trichy - Trichy Airport - Pudukottai - Karaikudi - Devakottai - Devikulam - Ramanathapuram - Mandapam - Rameshwaram - 233 kms
Thanks to the great souls who gave lot of information on the route, reviews about hotels to stay, about Rameshwaram, Dhansushkodi and whoever helped me with the direction during this trip.
Important information about the route

From Trichy towards Rameshwaram every town was bypassed using NH210 except Pudukottai and Devakottai where there was deviation in NH210 due to road widening work and have to get into the town at these two places.

Day 1 - 15Aug14
The start was planned at 5am and as usual we left only at 6.15 am. Crossed Tambaram around 6.45pm and suddenly on Irumbuliyur bridge could see sea of vehicles moving towards Southern Tamilnadu. Prepared for the wait time at toll booths and to manoevure in between slow moving vehicles occupying every available lane
Stopped for an early breakfast at Sappida Vanga on the outskirts of Chennai. Going by the ad, this restaurant should take 20 mins after Tambaram however it took me 45 mins from Tambaram to reach this place which is bang on NH45 on the left side. Sea continued here too wherein sea of people waiting to have breakfast. As we embark on a journey to the 'seas' it mademe believe that I could find sea of vehicles on the road and sea of people in restaurant. The food was average and the service too average due to the crowd
. [/JUSTIFY]
Left the restaurant at 8am and got into the 'sea'. After crossing Tindivanam there was a sigh of relief as the traffic got thin and the wait time at toll booths were decreasing. Got to see some Gang o Bullet riders from Tindivanam till Senkuruchi Toll Plaza and they were many in number could be close to 50. Reached Trichy Central Bus stand around 11.45am and stopped at Sangeethas to have lunch. Do note there is a small deviation from NH45 towards Trichy Central Bus stand as the road after Railway overbridge has been closed and to take the route via Trichy Junction (Railway station). The deviation is only for a couple of additional kms however the traffic from Junction to Bus stand did test the patience due to long queue of buses. It took me almost 15mins to reach Sangeethas. Went to the BP fuel pump next to Sangeethas and filled diesel to the brim. Mileage from Chennai to Trichy was 15.1kmpl.
Ulundurpet Toll Plaza.jpg

Senkurichi toll plaza.jpg
Started from Trichy at 12.40pm and took the same route back to rejoin NH45. Took a prompt right turn at the sign board indicating Rameshwaram. In another forum one of the guy mentioned that it is a 4 lane road upto Devikulam and further upto Rameshwaram it is only a 2 lane. Was looking for a 4 lane and could find only the dividers and the four lane marking whenever there is intersection in NH210. Told to my wife that we could get a 4 lane after few kms and even after travelling for almost 15kms we could not find any 4 lanes. Got anxious on the route taken. Stopped at one place and asked a person about the route to Rameshwaram. He told me that this is a bypass and does not go into any towns and if you take this road it will directly take you into Rameshwaram easily. However he could not understand about 4 lanes and 2 lanes and told this is the road to take. Had a thin ray of hope that we will find 4 lanes however it did not materialize till I reach Rameshwaram.
Suddenly got a toll plaza just before Pudukottai and paid Rs.25/-, asked the lady in the toll booth about 4 lane. She also could not understand what I was asking. Soon came the deviation to get into Pudukottai town. The roads were not good and were having potholes on and off. Mapmy India ZX350 promptly took me back to NH210 which is marked as NH533. Then came another toll plaza near Karaikudi and paid another Rs.25/-. This time did not ask anyone as it is very clear that there are no 4 lanes as the traffic was very thin in this by pass. Definitely this road was not having the minimum no. of passenger vehicles to have a 4 lane.
To clarify Trichy to Rameshwaram via NH210 is a two lane road without any dividers and till Devakottai the roads are wide to accommodate two heavy vehicles. The tarmac is excellent and it deteriorates when you get only into the towns due to deviations.
Post Devakottai deviation got back into NH210 and within few kms could find the road condition has deteriorated drastically where there was only craters for few hundred meters. Asked the driver of the oncoming vehicle about the road condition and he said this is only for a shorter distance and after that roads are good. There was a sigh of relief. My wife told me that this few hundred meters makes up for the purchase of Duster. Wow what a thinking!. As the driver told things started changing from worse to good and further better. However the width of the roads have reduced a bit and finding it difficult to overtake two wheelers if I could see any oncoming vehicle. Do note that there are lot of cattle on this road from Devakottai to Devikulam and hence could not accelerate beyond 80kmph. Finally NH210 aka NH533 takes a right to join East Coast Road. After 10kms in ECR navigator told me to take a left however took a straight as I was taking only straight all along from Trichy. Stopped the vehicle after 100 meters and checked with a tea shop guy who told that I can drive further straight however it will take me into Ramanathapuram town. He told me to take a U turn to go back and take a right which is a newly laid bypass which will take me to Mandapam. Conveyed thanks and took a U turn, this was indeed a great advise. The roads were excellent and wide enough. The traffic is on the higher side compared to my drive for the last 2.5 - 3 hours. After few kms you get a junction where you need to take a left to go towards Rameshwaram. Right will take you towards Ramanathapuram. Inquisitiveness started to increase after taking a left that I am going to drive on Pamban bridge, hurray!. The distance is still almost 40kms.
Few Pics post taking a left at ECR enroute Mandapam
20140815_155854.jpg
20140815_160138.jpg
20140815_160208.jpg
Important place to stop once you pay your toll for Pamban Bridge
Was stopped at the Toll before Pamban bridge wherein Rs.60/- was collected. Immediately after paying the toll within few hundred meters, we could find the sea on right which is next to the road. Crossed the road and drove towards the Banks and parked the vehicle. Fantastic view where Duster is parked just in front of the sea. Took some snaps and moved from Thangachi Madam.

20140815_161504.jpg
20140815_161525.jpg
20140815_161530.jpg
20140815_162144.jpg
20140815_162146.jpg
20140815_162158.jpg

The dream is going to become a reality in few seconds. Got into the Pamban bridge and what a view of sea on both the sides. There are many places in India which has not been explored to a greater extent and some people get mesmerized only looking at foreign locations. This is a great feeling of Incredible India.

Crossed Pamban bridge and drove for few kms and again we were stopped suddenly on the middle of the road to pay toll as we enter Rameshwaram Municipality limits. Paid Rs.50/- and the receipt was promptly kept under ticket holder and not with other toll receipts. This safe custody was a blessing in disguise for me next day. Hotel booking was done at Brindavan Residency which is near beach and Agnitheertham. Also walkable to Ramanathaswamy temple. The traffic cop refused to allow as vehicles cannot go beyond further. However have read the hotel reviews and one of the noble guy mentioned that we need to explain the cops that we have our booking at Brindavan Residency to allow the vehicle. The traffic cop asked for any booking voucher and explained him everything in email and whether he is interested to have a look that. He said not required and removed the divider for the vehicle to proceed further. Reached Rameshwaram at 5pm.

Brindavan Residency is a budget hotel and the rooms are very small. Due to the extended weekend, the rooms were full and we were allotted a AC triple bed. Had done my booking almost 20 days before for an AC double bed. There is no restaurant attached to the hotel and one has to go near the temple to find a restaurant. The tariff was economical so as the facilities in the hotel. They make up the room size in terms of excellent service and free wi-fi. Really not happy with the rooms and the facilities as it was disappointing. Moreover the car park is in front of the hotel on the road however they have a CCTV to monitor.

Video on the Pamban bridge. Due to high no. of vehicles behind me, did not stop on the bridge that day
Drive on the Pamban bridge - YouTube

20140815_163555.jpg
20140815_165143.jpg
20140815_165143.jpg
20140815_165717.jpg
The Jeep ride to Dhanushkodi was checked with hotel and they arranged for a vehicle to be picked up next morning at 6.30am. Unfortunately after boarding the jeep, we returned back to the hotel within few minutes. This made all of us sad. Why did we return back ?

To be continued......

Last edited:
Prelogue

The Jeep ride to Dhanushkodi was checked with hotel and they arranged for a vehicle to be picked up next morning at 6.30am. Unfortunately after boarding the jeep, we returned back to the hotel within few minutes. This made all of us sad. Why did we return back ?

To be continued......
Why did you return back? Can you please complete the travelogue?
I am thinking of visiting Rameshwaram from Hyderabad, came across this while searching on Rameshwaram.

Thread Starter #4
Continued....

Apologies for the delay in completing the TL. Got tied up due to official work and was travelling too.

The hotel staff informed me to pay the agreed amount for the jeep only after drop back at the Hotel. However the driver asked for an advance of Rs.500/- to fill Diesel after 5-6kms from our start. I told that i need to check with hotel and i was dialling to reach hotel staff. In the meanwhile, he spoke to his owner who had instructed him to drop us back at the Hotel. Before i could complete the conversation with Hotel staff, the jeep did a U turn was going towards Hotel. The driver told me that he was instructed to drop me back at the Hotel. The Hotel staff picked up a fight with the driver however driver fled the scene immediately. Later came to know that Jeep owner has committed to our hotel to take us to Dhanushkodi whereas the driver has got advance from a different hotel to take a different group.

The hotel staff informed me that i can take my vehicle upto the parking lot in Dhanushkodi and can board a Maxi cab which will take us to the la(o)st land of Southern India. Started from the hotel at 7.15am and reached Dhanushkodi parking lot around 7.40am. The road tarmac was nice and the roads were empty once you cross Rameshwaram town. A couple of kms before you reach parking lot at Dhanushkodi, you will find Indian Ocean on to your right travelling with you and it is just few metres away from the road.

Few pictures en route to Dhanushkodi
20140816_073637.jpg
20140816_073646.jpg
20140816_073954.jpg
20140816_074002.jpg
20140816_074054.jpg
20140816_074817.jpg

Boarded a Maxi cab and we were given the bench seat behind driver seat with a good view of the route. My wife got the front passenger seat and was clicking pictures enroute. The reason for allowing a 4x4 was understood as the routes are very slushy and the cab drivers drive on the previous tyre marks to avoid any trouble. After an hour drive, we were dropped wherein if you walk a few metres ahead you will find Bay of Bengal in front of you and Indian Ocean to your right. The colour of the sea is dark blue which is very different in this part of the world. We were allowed to spend another 45 mins there in the beach and boarded the cab back. While coming back the cab was stopped at erstwhile Dhanushkod town where you could find only some bricks and mortars standing tall. We reached the parking lot around 10.15am, took our vehicle, went to the temple where Vibheeshana was crowned as Lanka's king after Ravana was defeated. Then we headed back to the hotel, took rest and went out for lunch.
20140816_080655.jpg
20140816_081212.jpg
20140816_082935.jpg
20140816_084129.jpg
20140816_084925.jpg
20140816_085530.jpg
20140816_092634.jpg
20140816_092734.jpg
20140816_094540.jpg
20140816_105816.jpg
20140816_110534.jpg

As Rameshwaram being a small town in an island, the food options around temple area are very limited. Do not expect a good quality food and this would only be average in whichever restaurant you go round Rameshwaram. if you could drive for 6-7 kms, you would find Hotel Daiwik on the Madurai - Rameshwaram road where you can get the food spread.
Not much of action in the afternoon and took ample rest. Left the hotel around 5pm and drove till Daiwik to have a cup of coffee. From there we went to Ramar Padham which 2-3 kms away. Parked the car on the road side and walked up. We reach around 6pm and the temple closes by 6.30pm. The view from the top was amazing and the huge pile of sand was looking like water. Had dinner at Arya Bhavan on NH-49 while coming back to hotel and the food quality was ok and the service was delayed.
20140816_182742.jpg
20140816_182748.jpg

Day 3 - Rameshwaram - Pillayarpatti - Trichy - Chennai
Checked out on 17Aug around 7am and came to Arya Bhavan to have breakfast as you would not find any places on Ramanathapuram - Trichy SH as one need to travel into the town. Stopped at Pamban for sometime to enjoy the early morning scenary around the sea and took some pictures. Left at 8 am and reached Pillayarpatti around 10.30am. As usual Mapmy India Zx350 took me to into Devakottai and Karaikudi towns enroute to Pillayarpatti which reduced my speed. In fact the roads were narrow in few places. Else it would have been just a 9km deviation from NH533 with wide roads. Left Pillayarpatti around 11.15am and reached Trichy around 1pm with a fuel re-fill stop for 15 mins at Pudukottai. Left Sangeethas,Trichy around 1.30pm and reached Chennai by 6.30pm with a 45 min break at Guduvanchery A2B.
Few pictures of the sea from Pamban bridge and few more enroute to Chennai

20140817_073630.jpg
20140817_073642.jpg
20140817_073714.jpg
20140817_073908.jpg
20140817_073932.jpg
20140817_073916.jpg
20140817_074048.jpg
20140817_102145.jpg
20140817_102147.jpg
20140817_104417.jpg
20140817_110253.jpg