Escape To Nallamala Forest From Concrete Jungle: Srisailam, Uma Maheswaram

Thread Starter #1
Background: As I stay in Hyderabad, Very much tired to see the Concrete Jungles. Need to go for a long drive where I can get some freshness. I got a holiday where Hyderabad Corporation doing some survey for Telangana as my native is Pondicherry. Decided to ESCAPE.

Hidden Agenda: [evil] To drive my Ashtra (Honda City Diesel) in a Hilly area. This hilly driving will be my first hilly area driving and ofcourse to Ashtra too. I had experience of around 300KMs in Highway driving. 1200KMs of City Driving.

Where to go: Initially selected to go to Warangal. I felt which will be boring. Next I decided to go to Srisailam.

Places Selected: Srisailam – Mallela Theertahm - Uma Maheswarm.

Route Selected: Home in Hyderbad – Gachibowli – HYD ORR – Srisailam Highway – Srisailam – Mallela Theertham Falls – Uma Maheswaram – Mahabubnagar – BLR-HYD Highway – HYD ORR – Kondapur – Home in Hyderbad

1.jpg

Preparation: Washed my Ashtra on Previous day. Planned to fill the fuel tank. The Fuel station was so much crowded. So decided to do in the morning before starting the journey. On the day of journey filled the tank to full. Checked the Air pressure including spare. Everything was ready to go. Started to escape from Hyderabad @ 6:30 Am.

2.jpg

Cruising: After a longtime I tried the Cruise Control. Once I touch the Outer Ring Road in Hyderabad activated Cruise Control and reached till 80 KMPH. Really its boon for the driver who drive long on Highway stretches.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Ashtra's take the first break after Kalwakurthy. After 5 mins break, started looking for a place to have the break fast. Near Dindi, found Venkateshwaran Udupi Hotel. We had a Hot Puri for our breakfast. Taste was above average but not to level of good. Rs 25 per plate which is having 3 Puris. Hotel is typical village hotel with basic cleanliness.

After the breakfast, we started our journey. On the way, we saw a Dindi Reservoir to store the water looked like a nano dam.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

While enjoying the nice Highway driving.....Wow..! the much awaited Hills. The road leads us to the hills. More happy to drive on the hills, at the same time a pinch of fear of hilly driving in one side of heart.

10.jpg

Successfully climbed the hill. But totally disappointed because the climbing didn't challenge me. It was like driving in a fly over. After reaching some height, wifey saw nice valleys. I was so happy to take her on hilly area with my own ride. I had big laugh. She quietly captured it. I really don't aware of this pic. After downloading from SD card a pleasant surprise.

11.jpg

Finally reached the Forest department check-post in Munnanur. I had to give some details as name, Vehicle No, Cell No and paid Rs 10/- to get the pass. The officer nicely explained about the Do's & Don't in the ghat section. This route only allowed between 6:00AM to 7:00PM (Mostly in day time, Forest Dept. don't want disturb the life of wild animals. People said tigers used to roam on road in dusk and nights)

16.jpg

The ghat section road in Srisailam Highway.
12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg
Even though the speed limit specified in the ghat road, literally no one follows it.
But be aware, lot of monkeys will be seen on the road. So I request not to drive fast, respect the wild animals.

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Escape to Nallamala Forest from Concrete Jungle – Srisailam, Uma Maheswaram

I could not resist myself taking pictures of my Ashtra.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Another stretch of roads in ghat section.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Krishna river was stopped and the green valley

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

Srisailam Dam

17.jpg

Power Generation Station of Srisailam dam

18.jpg

Krishna water flows which was released from the Dam.

19.jpg

Ashtra @ Dam view point. Look at the hill roads in backside. Now the road tests my skill of down hill drive.

20.jpg

21.jpg

The bridge to cross the river Krishna ( Here called as Patalaganga ) to the other side of the mountain.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3

2.jpg
Dam from the Bridge

3.jpg
You can see a round boat (theppam) on the Patalaganga.

4.jpg

5.jpg
Ashtra poses in the bridge with rock on backside.

6.jpg
Look at the hairpin bend hilly roads.

7a.jpg
A panoramic view from bridge to dam including Power Generation Project and hilly roads on back side.

9.jpg
This is the road which I tried and certified my hilly driving skills for the first time. Good job Gandhi.[clap]
Upper Left (Down hill drive) to Lower Right (Up hill drive)

10.jpg

11.jpg

8.jpg
Finally reached the holy place Srisailam @ 13:00 hrs.

Sri Mallikarjuna Swamy is one of the twelve Jyotirlingas of Lord Siva situated at Srisailam in Andhra Pradesh state, India. It is one of the 275 Paadal Petra Sthalams.

Mallikarjuna Swamy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We had a hassle free a peaceful dharsan of Jyotirlinga (2nd Jyotirlinga covered by me out of twelve). Because the telangana peoples were asked to be there in their houses. But I could see devotees from KA, MP, GJ, and ofcourse AP.

After the visit, we took the prashad and had lunch in the hotel near petrol bunk. And started leaving Srisailam by 14:40 hrs

Thread Starter #4

Way to Mallela Theertham Water Falls

We were started journey to the Mallela Theertham Water Falls. As soon we started, we saw some water droplets in windscreen. And the sky becomes dark. I'm very much that the God wishes us, which is happening from the day I took the delivery of my car.

Now the shower has began..I'm driving to water falls.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Now the shower has stopped. Saw a washed road and greens. I want to take some snaps.

6.jpg

7.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

We stopped in the junction of diversion road to Mallela Theertham Water falls. GPS shown the correct point to take the diversion. I check with locals about the diversion and the falls status. Whether water is coming in the falls or not?

Locals guided me well and said it is 8KMs from the main road. directional board kept prominent places of the village to guide us.

Totally Off-road to falls from the main road.....

11.jpg

12.jpg

While going to the falls, a biker wave his hand went without stopping. With confusion we reached the falls are. AP Tourism is developed the area for taking the rest, toilet and picnic spot. (which is totally not taken care in Karnataka to develop the tourism in falls area)

Now we understood what the biker said. The falls Eco-center was closed due to survey of Telangana area. I couldn't take any pictures because forgot [frustration] the camera in car to check for any people availability in the Eco-center. Soon the rain started, so I rushed to the car. Started to Umamaheshwarm. Time was 16:30 hrs.

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

From mallela theertham falls to till Munnanur check post heavy rain falls, every one driving with headlights on at around 40 KMPH.

Thread Starter #5

Searching the way to Uma Maheshwaram

One of my office colleague suggested to visit this place.

As per GPS guidance, took the diversion before reaching the foot of hill to Uma Maheswam. It is only 8 KMs from this diversion. As we were not very sure about the route, a Santro (I have seen this vehicle throught the trip) overtook us going on the same way. We simply followed the Santro & GPS.

2.jpg
On the way to temple, a goat delivered his baby.

3.jpg
Uma Maheswaram Temple Road

4.jpg
My intuition was saying that you are going to this place. And finally we reached this place only.

5.jpg

6.jpg
The temple built on the rock like a cave.

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg
View of the Green valley from the temple entrance.

11.jpg
Hanuman sitting on the Santro which I followed. (So am I followed the Hanuman?)

12.jpg
Monkeys were playing.

13.jpg
I liked this hairpin bends which has given good hilling driving skills. After driving this 7 continuous steepy hairpin bends, my hilly driving confidence level has improved.

Mission Accomplished for planning this travel.

I just followed the guide lines of this thread, some other information other forum and google.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/11007-driving-hills-dos-donts.html

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Back to Home

Time was 18:30 hrs. So I'm not interested to use the srisailam highway to reach Hyderabad. I planned to go to Mahabubnagar and take BLR-HYD highway. So I will get more experience on Highway driving too in the night.

I switched on the GPS, and selected the above said route. Followed the GPS route, and surprisingly I came to Dindi Reservoir area. Now I understood GPS guided me to the wrong direction. (Actually I had doubt, when I saw the route, it goes straight to reach mabubnagar. But after few KMs travel, GPS guided me to take hard right)

And this route is very pitch dark, sudden speed breakers, no median. I don't like this route in night. Now I have to BLR-HYD highway at any cost.

My headlight upgrade really helped me in this area to overcome the above problems.
Bi-xenon Projector Headlight for Honda City 2014

Changed the GPS detination to Kalwakurthy. After reaching kalwakurthy, change the destination to Hyderabad. Now the GPS guides me through the Highway. After 10 Mins I reached the Highway and crossed Azadnagar.

Started the Highway journey with 80 to 100 KMPH, after some time suddenly a heavy rain fall, and highway became a city traffic with car crawling at 40's. Finally reached the ORR. There was no sign of raining here in Hyderabad at that time.

Reached home safely by 22:35hrs with 4 Missions accomplishment.
1. Hilly driving with rain fall.
2. Highway driving with rain fall
3. Visiting a Jyothilinga temple
4. Village state highways in Day & Night. [:D]

Overall mileage Honda City Diesel: 25.3 KMPL.
a.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #9
Gandhi Ji. "Semma..."

Excellent pics, Astra looks awesome in all the shots [clap]

Happy Miles ahead [:)]
Thanks AppU, I love the green forest a lot, I liked Ashtra poses very well in the ghat.

Somewhere I said to HR City, as "City in Ghats"

Now my "City in Ghats" [:D]

Hi,

I am planning to take the route via jadcherla to reach srisailam. Many people who have done hyderabad to srisailam via kalwakurthy and dindi have said the road is very bad due to some constructions. How much time did it take you to hit bangalore highway from kalwakurthy ? I am planning to cover Uma Maheswaram temple as well. Any additional information would be helpful.

Thread Starter #11
Hi,

I am planning to take the route via jadcherla to reach srisailam. Many people who have done hyderabad to srisailam via kalwakurthy and dindi have said the road is very bad due to some constructions. How much time did it take you to hit bangalore highway from kalwakurthy ? I am planning to cover Uma Maheswaram temple as well. Any additional information would be helpful.
Kishore,

The Road is not very bad at all. I have not seen the bad road on bad roads. I could easily able to drive 70 KMPH.

It took around 45 to 60 mins to reach Bangalore Highway from kalwakurthy.
Drive slow in srisailam ghats because lot of monkeys will be on roads. If possible drive on rainy day (hope some rains now in Hyderabad), you may enjoy it.

Uma Maheshwaram is nice temple, I liked it. Also cover the falls on the way to srisailam.

Kishore,

The Road is not very bad at all. I have not seen the bad road on bad roads. I could easily able to drive 70 KMPH.

It took around 45 to 60 mins to reach Bangalore Highway from kalwakurthy.
Drive slow in srisailam ghats because lot of monkeys will be on roads. If possible drive on rainy day (hope some rains now in Hyderabad), you may enjoy it.

Uma Maheshwaram is nice temple, I liked it. Also cover the falls on the way to srisailam.
Thanks for your prompt reply. [:)] I have done srisailam solo bike trip in October 2014, the road was decent back then. The traditional srisailam highway via kalwakurthy and dindi is undergoing road widening from dec 2014. A few guys who have done the stretch have complained of the huge dust and gravel that has come out of digging and land levelling in many places which impacts the speeds one is doing.[frustration] This is the main reason I am considering the route via jadcherla. I have kept Uma Maheshwaram in the itenary after reading your travelogue. Thanks for sharing the temple's info. If time permits I can cover the waterfall, need to see if it works out.

Top Bottom