Fortuner's Days Out: 4 Days Visit To Calicut, Wayanad, Mysore and Ooty

Thread Starter #1
We took the Toyota Fortuner for four days trip, 28, 29, 30 June and 1st July 2014 to visit Calicut, Wayanad, Mysore and Ooty. Though this visit was not in our schedule, but decided to proceed only during the last minute. So no preparations, just packed the cabin bags (used for flight travels). Only preparation was filling the Fortuner Tank (85 Liter fuel capacity – Normal Diesel from Indian Oil Petrol Station). Also checked the tyre pressure and adjusted to 31psi. Toyota recommends 30psi.

2.jpg

We began our trip in two Toyota vehicles, (a) Toyota Innova and (b) our Toyota Fortuner 4x2 AT. Total 10 members. Our navigational experts were in Innova with Google GPS system. The navigational experts are also experts in identifying CCTV cameras ahead. We decided to start little early, and two teams met at Pathanamthitta, exactly 4.30am. The weather was fine, roads were clear, and both the Toyotas started their work. I was thrilled that I can take my vehicle for a long drive. Toyota Fortuner is a highly capable vehicle. I have experience with Toyota Land cruiser vehicle (left hand driving). Whenever on vacation we drive our Toyota Fortuner (right hand driving). The location of Turn Indicators and wiper controls are just opposite in these cases. Always, I wait for sometime to adjust these two driving.

1.jpg

Our overall schedule (plan) was to stay at Mysore for two days and the return via Ooty on last day. Private vehicle owners declared harthal on 1, and 2nd July due to increase in Insurance charges. We have to be back before 1st July. The actual program went on exact schedule according to initially thought. We stayed at Mysore on first two days. Overall, our vehicle did almost 1600kms in these days. The previous Google map shows 1000+ km, but actually we did approximately 1600kms till we returned to our house.

28-06-2014 Saturday
4.30am Pathanamthitta
8.10am Breakfast at Kallada Resturant, Irijalakuda
10.25am Beach road Chettuva Kadppuram.
12.30pm Calicut Beach
12.45pm Lunch at Calicut. At Food Court
2.45pm Thamarassery Chooram
3.15pm Pookot lake
5.00pm Moothanga Wild Life -Trekking
8.30pm Mysore
9.00pm Hotel Accommodation SK Elegance, Mysore

29-06-2014 Sunday
8.00am St. Joseph Cathedral (St. Filomina Church) , Mysore.
10.30am Melody World WAX Museum
10.45am Melody Horror World
11.00am MySore Sand Sculpture Museum
11.15am Botanical Garden
2.15pm Food
2.30pm Shopping Mysore Silks
3.00pm Mysore Palace
4.45pm Chamundy Hills
6.25pm Brindavan Garden
9.00pm Stay at SK Elegance.

30.06.2014 Monday
7.00am To Ooty from SK Elegance
8.15am Safari Garden Madumalai Breakfast.
9.00am Ooty Hair Pin Bends via Masinagudi
9.45am Botanical Garden
12.20pm Paykara lake and Boating
3.00pm Ooty Lake
4.30pm Coonoor
5.25pm Mettupalayam
7.50pm Coiambatore
9.45pm Palaghat – food
11.30pm Thrissur –Stay at Smart Residency

1.07.2014 Tuesday
8.00am Start from Smart Residency.
9.00am Nippon Toyota Kalamassery
11.00am Nippon Toyota Thiruvalla
12.30pm Kadapra Indraprestha
12.45pm Mavelikkara
3.00pm Pathanamthitta

ODO reading noted as 9003kms. We started early morning, hoping to cross Vytilaa before traffic picks up. The other vehicle Toyota Innova is having some problem with the speedometer. Speed reading is wrong. Anyway our vehicle was just behind and gave indication when speed exceeded. So the first break was for the breakfast at Kallada Restaurant , Central Junction Irijalakuda. We just stopped for the breakfast, but noticed later that this restaurant belongs to the famous Kallada travels. It can accommodate a bus full passengers. Big rooms with ample chairs. As usual, ordered Dosa, and Puri etc. Breakfast was tasty. Bathrooms are good. We have some snaps. Kids were thrilled. They have discussions on what to order for Lunch.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Our team compose of two families with grownup kids, and two young adults (mr.X and mr.y) of our relation. Mr.x is fond of vehicles, and love driving. He choose wrong profession, and working in Bangalore. He knows Kanada. Mr. Y also love driving, and hope to get the driving wheel sometime during this trip. Unfortunately, he did not get a chance to try his driving skills. Mr.X did the whole driving of Toyota Innova. Me on the other side love vehicles, and enjoy driving. I am happy within 80-100 km range, and also enjoy watching all shops, and sceneries’ while driving. I used to stop my vehicle when someone wants to cross the road. Mr.x is happy when speed exceeds three digits. We have engaged mr.y to GPS navigation. Mr.y did his role perfect (negatively), as we touched each and every available roads at Calicut, Coimbatore and Ooty. Somehow we lost in Calicut, and spent some time to relocate to our destination. I recall a Malayalam film, there one situation is that the vehicle is having couple of rounds on same way. The passengers are reading the shop name. They found the same shop name 7 times. That is, they have made 7 rounds on that road. The same happened with us at Calicut. Smoothrider can identify the location of these photos.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
Re: Fortuner’s Days Out:: 4 Days visit to Calicut, Wayanad, Mysore and Ooty.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

By noon time, we reached at Calicut beach. One side of the beach was not tidy, lots of garbage disposals. We stayed for 30 minutes, and had some quick snaps. It was about noon, and some of us are feeling hungry. Calicut is famous for Biryani (KozhikodeBiryani). We found one hotel on way to Wayanad, Food Court. It is a simple restaurant and food are tasty. They have ample space for parking. Their wash rooms are not tidy.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

Wayanad Roads are good. We have comfortable drive. We reached Thamaraserry chooram by 2.45pm. Took some photos. I was anticipating how Fortuner will perform Thamarassery Chooram. People used to argue that Fortuner gives bumpy ride. Fortuner is having wide tyre. If the road is not properly laid (Some of Kerala roads are improved), then it may give bumpy ride. Toyota advice to have 30psi pressure on all tyres. The main central (MC) road from Trivandrum to Chengannur is laid by Pathibell. It is properly laid. But the second phase from Chengannur to Ankamally is still to make. If you ride Fortuner from Chenganaserry to Kottayam, you feel the difference. The road is not properly laid, some up and down and hence bumpy ride. But, while from Chengannur to Trivandrum, it is like marble cake. Nobody can challenge a Fortuner. Smooth ride.

Thread Starter #3

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

Thamaraserry chooram was a marble cake to Fortuner. Nice and comfy drive. The hair-pins went very smooth, no issues. Fortuner is having Dunlop AT-20 as OEM tyres, and they are super. No hissing sounds. We reached Waynad Pookot lake by 3.15pm

Thread Starter #5

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

27.jpg

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

What attracted me at Pookot lake is Leg Massage by one type of Fish (Fish SPA). I tried and the feel is immense. So others also tried after me. Pookot lake is very interesting. Boating facilities are available. We did not have enough time to do boating. Did some shopping. I bought two small bottles of ‘Pulthailam’ ( essence of green grass) . It is nice and feel good. Just leave the cap opened the room will be filled with fragrance of this essence.

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

mathew - nice crisp TL and snaps. the churam road has transformed by leaps and bounds from what i have seen last ( must be a few years though ) the curves are so wide that its easy for two heavy vehicles to pass at a time which was not possible in the past and road has been concreted.

Thread Starter #7
Nice pictures and a detailed description. Keep it up
Thanks RagMax.

mathew - nice crisp TL and snaps. the churam road has transformed by leaps and bounds from what i have seen last ( must be a few years though ) the curves are so wide that its easy for two heavy vehicles to pass at a time which was not possible in the past and road has been concreted.
Thanks smoothrider. Can you help to identify the location in photos 5,6 and 7 from top. Is it Chettuva Kadpuram or near Calicut.

42.jpg

43.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

46.jpg

47.jpg

48.jpg

49.jpg

51.jpg

We moved to Muthanga wildlife sanctuary. They are offering safari ride on off-road Jeep. We took one hour ride inside this forest. The Jeep ride is interesting. 500rs for Jeep ride, entry ticket 50rs per person. The forest guard will accompany you. We spotted some Deers, one eagle, and Elephants. All felt good in the jeep ride, except me. I took a good quick nap during this trip. Last 10 minutes’ drive though tar road.

Thread Starter #8
52.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

56.jpg

57.jpg

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

62.jpg

61.jpg

63.jpg

65.jpg

67.jpg

We spotted one wild squirrel, and some monkeys taking its food, ripe jackfruit. We returned after one hour, had quick tea and proceed to respective vehicles. We then moved to Mysore. On the way at Kerala-Karnataka border stopped for vehicle document inspection. Our documents were ready, and we have no issues.

69.jpg

71.jpg

74.jpg

82.jpg

81.jpg

66.jpg

Thread Starter #9
We then proceed to Mysore. The road through the forest is well laid, but big speed breaker bumps on every two kilometers. So we cannot take speed. We have to respect these bumps, as they are little big. Our mr.X took Innova smoothly on these bumps. Fortuner will absorb these bumps. Here is the big difference. No need to do apply break, just little speed, drive on these bumps. Passengers will not feel.

85.jpg

86.jpg

84.jpg

87.jpg

89.jpg

88.jpg

90.jpg

We reached Mysore around 8.30pm. State highway 212 is good. What I noticed in Karnataka is that, no street lights on remote areas. People drive with high beams. Some vehicles with additional high beam lights. Fortuner is having high beam, it will spread equally and useful. We were following Innova , and hence we put only low beam (otherwise Mr.x will have hard time). Whenever the opposite high beam approaches, I just put high beam. Immediately the other guy will put low beam. Road mannerism is disciplined in Kerala, roads are good in Karnataka. Reached downtown Mysore, and googled for accommodation. We found SK Elegance near Mysore place. It is a new hotel. They have restaurant facilities. It is almost 9.00pm, and had quick bath went to restaurant. Had some food and crashed to bed. Believe me, it was my first drive to such a long distance. Early morning 4.30 till 9.00pm, we covered almost 610kms. Only 10 minute nap at Muthanga jungle safari. I don’t have any tiredness. My family also not complained anything. They were comfortable. Innova team also comfortable. Those kids with us not went to bed. That day we have football world cup semi-final. Kids watched those semi-final match, and went to bed after 2pm. Fortuner seats are leather, and having motor driven settings. It is good for long hour driving. I noticed that by evening the tyre picked up some bad foul smell. It is because of first of its kind, long straight continuous drive. It went off after it cooled. It happened only the first day. I made arrangements in the hotel to wash it. It was full dirt.

Thread Starter #11
mathew the snaps 4.5.6 & 7 in post number 1 is not near calicut, must be chettuva.
Yes. According to the time, the photo location must be Chettuva.

Day 2

We decided to get up and ready by 7.00am. We got good breakfast from the hotel restaurant. Kids too enjoyed the breakfast. Wow, the watchman did a wonderful job. Fortuner is clean. Cleaning this vehicle is a good exercise. Take time to wash all areas. If it is at my house, I just sprinkle water using garden hose, then wipe using soap water. A final round of water will make it neat clean. This time I bought a garden hose bought from ACE Hardware. This hose is made in USA. It is really good. We decide to go first to St.Philomina church (St. Joseph Cathedral-Mysore).

91.jpg

93.jpg

94.jpg

95.jpg

96.jpg

97.jpg

It was Sunday, and a MASS was going on. We spent some time there. Did a mini shopping. Put some candles at the grotto. Took some photos of the church. Driving Fortuner downtown Mysore is easy. It is difficult to drive in Ernakulum city due to bikes, and auto-rickshaws. They approach from either sides without any indications.

98.jpg

99.jpg

100.jpg

101.jpg

102.jpg

103.jpg

104.jpg

Thread Starter #12
Next we went to WAX Museum. It is interesting. It does not feel big from outside, but really having more items. Then to horror world. Nothing to have any horror there. Let the photos talk.

105.jpg

106.jpg

107.jpg

108.jpg

109.jpg

110.jpg

111.jpg

112.jpg

113.jpg

114.jpg

115.jpg

116.jpg

117.jpg

118.jpg

119.jpg

120.jpg

121.jpg

122.jpg

123.jpg

124.jpg

125.jpg

126.jpg

127.jpg

128.jpg

Thread Starter #14
Next we went to Mysore Zoo. This is something really nice. I think this is the biggest after the zoo in Calcutta. It is spread in kilometers. Our young team members tired after walking two kilometers. Reptile section is having more inmates. I wondered why the hanging chain while entering to a closed enclosure. It is for birds and we are entering inside the Birds enclosure. Nice setup. We had some ice-creams and soft drinks from the makeshift restaurant inside the zoo. We then moved to Chamunddy hills. WOW, nice. It is Sunday, some rush. We took some photos from the view point on way back while coming down from Chamunddy hills. Uphill driving is a pleasure. Fortuner power to weight ratio is good, unlike in other vehicles. So driving with low rpm is a pleasure. I hardly found the rpm needle climbing above 3000rpm. The sound system is premium. The bass is also rich. It is a six CD changer with DVD video. It plays DVD video while hand break ON. It won’t play video while on driving. It got Bluetooth hands free calling. I have to configure, not done so far.

164.jpg

165.jpg

167.jpg

168.jpg

170.jpg

171.jpg

172.jpg

166.jpg

169.jpg

In-between we got one guide. He offered his service to take us to different places. He asked only 100rs. We agreed to him, we got him in the Innova. Now mr.y, our navigator moved to Fortuner. The guide is highly informative. We asked him to take to a decent hotel with parking facility. Believe me, he took us in all city roads, and reached to a hotel where no wash rooms. Again, he took us to another hotel which was very near to our hotel, SK Elegance. We got shocked, for this we do not need a guide. Mysore Silk shopping center is also very near to this place. We bought some soaps, perfumes, etc.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
We then moved to Mysore Palace. We asked the guide for his service charge, and paid what he asked. We let him go. We took a group photo infront of the palace. Also bought the DVD of Mysore Palace. We could not take much photos of inside Palace. It is banned. We then moved to Brindavan garden. Driving down to Brindavan garden is also interesting. No speed cameras unlike in Kerala. Took a spin of Fortuner. We touched 130-140 at some places. I don’t like high speed driving in Kerala roads. But, I like in Kuwait, where I am presently located. My ownership experience is illustrated in this thread. Karnataka roads are good. Most of the roads are straight. Not having the vehicle density like in Kerala.

173.jpg

174.jpg

175.jpg

179.jpg

182.jpg

183.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

188.jpg

Top Bottom