"Inn the Wild" Masinagudi

Thread Starter #1
After a long search for a best resort in Masinagudi area we came up with this resort "INN THE WILD"

We visited the place during May 17th & 18th of 2014. We stayed in the Jungle shack which was in the corner of the property .

The place : We reached Singara post at around 11 AM . we were picked up by a Jeep to reach the resort . The ride from the post till the resort itself is fun , where you need to travel through the coffee plantations , literally no road. A very bumpy and fun ride. The property is huge , lush green and far away from the hustle of any kind.
There is a huge reception area adjoined by the dining hall. Very well spaced , airy and clean . The staffs are welcoming and friendly. The cottages are placed in a way to take care of the privacy of the guests. There are two tree top houses and watch tower near to the water body where you can get amazing views of the jungle spread across. Many animals are said to have spotted near the water body like elephants , leopards , Indian Gaurs and some lucky ones have even spotted a tiger. there is no fencing around the campus and hence we were strictly advised not to leave our room during dark.

I did not mention Deers, Peacocks & Rabbits above , as they are permanent residents here . Not one or two , but herds and hers of deers which occupy the place around the cottages and gaze around all night.

Room : The jungle shack where we stayed was huge , clean and well maintained with attached bathroom and Geyser.Every cottage has a balcony and sitting there in the evenings and just watching the greenery and listening to the roars and grunts of tigers or leopards , the noises of langurs , cheetals and birds. Trust me , it is a bliss .

People from treetops must be getting a better view of the forest.
They have bigger rooms called Tribal home for larger groups. For a couple and a small kid , Jungle shack should be sufficient.

Staffs : The staffs are very good and friendly and they took care of us in every small way .
Thanks to the folks there.

Food : The food was served as Buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very yummy and tasty food. Did not expect such class inside the jungle. There are 2 options for non veg and medium spicy and less oil. Great food and we enjoyed thoroughly. Tea/snacks are available on request at extra cost from 3-6 PM.

Safari : There is a safari organised by the management which takes us in a open jeep in the night around their 65 acres of property. It lasts for 45 mins to 1 hour. We could spot many animals like malabar giant squirrils, peacocks and tuskers. if you are lucky then even leopards . The silence of the dark and the thrill of spotting some wild animals in itself is a good feeling. Spotting of animals is just pure luck , if not animals , enjoy the nature and its power .

Nature walk : Last but not the least , I should talk about the nature walk organised by the management. It is a trek through the jungle guided by a naturalist. It was more adventurous and the naturalist has good knowledge about the surroundings. He showed us pug marks of tigers and the crossings of elephants. Thanks to the naturalist Suneesh who was very friendly and informative.

Overall a very relaxing and enthralling experience for the weekend, far off from the noise and pollution in Bangalore to this very serene place , Inn the Wild. Truly we got in to the wild .[clap]

Now lets the picture talk more.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Only way to access the resort is via their own Jeep ? btw great photos
Yes Vinumsv, The only way is to call them from singara check post and go with them in their Jeep/ Gypsy. You can aslo try your 4X4 if you have one, but be prepare to get some bumpy rides.[:D]

Just the time i needed this thread for. Thanks for posting these pics.
I have some clarifiactions, i'm doing the bangalore ooty trip this weekend and i have been to ooty several times through the 36 hair pin bend route, i saw another route from Masinagudi to pykara where we got to pass Singara en-route, planned of taking this road to reach pykara as this is new to me and i know it's fully inside the forest areas. Read somewhere that this road is restricted for public, could you please throw some light on this?

Thread Starter #7
Once you are in masinagudi Village you have to take right in 4 road junction while going from Iron Bridge in Theppakadu towards Ooty, and from that spot the forest starts till Singara Hydro Project area (Here is where you need to leave your vehicle and go by 4X4 from resort), i saw few deers crossing the read even in day time and lots of Elephant & Gaur dungs en route the resort, Might be they are frequent visitors during night time.
I haven't stopped by anyone while going to the resort, if you carry Booking details with this resort, they might not stop you i believe. But enter into the Sigara region is restricted to public is what i also heard. Even i was asked to park my car before the Singara Check post to take resort vehicle.

Once you are in masinagudi Village you have to take right in 4 road junction while going from Iron Bridge in Theppakadu towards Ooty, and from that spot the forest starts till Singara Hydro Project area (Here is where you need to leave your vehicle and go by 4X4 from resort), i saw few deers crossing the read even in day time and lots of Elephant & Gaur dungs en route the resort, Might be they are frequent visitors during night time.
I haven't stopped by anyone while going to the resort, if you carry Booking details with this resort, they might not stop you i believe. But enter into the Sigara region is restricted to public is what i also heard. Even i was asked to park my car before the Singara Check post to take resort vehicle.
Thank you for the details mgobinathbe, the photos posted by you tempts me to go there and camp right away, I shall do it soon. Anyways thank you for this great piece of information, I shall take the normal 36 hair pin bend route to reach pykara lake and then proceed towards ooty.

The sighting of an elephant and gaurs in the middle of the road is really amusing and scary to an extent which was why i wanted to try this route, but it seems like i have to go through kalatti only.I'm unaware of the road conditions and navigation until glen morgan reservoir on that route, if anybody tried this route, please do advise.

The package seems slightly better than what the bandipur jungle lodges offer (5k per person) whereas it's 7k for 2-4 people for a day, plus it has lots of worth pouring in. I'm definitely going to do it.

Anyways thank you for this great piece of information, I shall take the normal 36 hair pin bend route to reach pykara lake and then proceed towards ooty.
Vishwas, the 36 hairpin bend route will take you to Ooty. From there you will have to climb down some 25 odd kms towards Gudalur to reach Pykara lake.

I am not sure about the condition of Mudumalai - Gudalur route. Last we went this jan, it was horrible. Otherwise I would have asked you to take that route going up and return through the 36 hairpin bend road. Gudulur - Ooty route has a lot of view points and attractions.

BTW, we are going to do another lazy drive in Mudumalai, masinagudi and Bandipur this weekend. I may have better info about the road condition after that.

Thread Starter #10
Vishwas, the 36 hairpin bend route will take you to Ooty. From there you will have to climb down some 25 odd kms towards Gudalur to reach Pykara lake.

I am not sure about the condition of Mudumalai - Gudalur route. Last we went this jan, it was horrible. Otherwise I would have asked you to take that route going up and return through the 36 hairpin bend road. Gudulur - Ooty route has a lot of view points and attractions.

BTW, we are going to do another lazy drive in Mudumalai, masinagudi and Bandipur this weekend. I may have better info about the road condition after that.
Waiting for your travelogue HR.[:D]

*** *** **** is a private property located past the sincara check post. I have stayed there when i did a bike trip with my freinds. a proper 4*4 or a vechile with good GC can do the resort from sincara check post.

personally i would not recommend this to any one that is the reason resort i didn't mention about this in my ooty travellouge. this property is located so near to the forest and it's being under constant threat from elephants. i had a horrifying experience when i stayed there, where our hut was surrounded by elephants and one of my mates bike was damaged by jumbos. only god saved us on that night. it does not take much time for a jumbo to enter the huts. this property(*** *** ****) guys was responsible for a horrifying incident in the recent past which claimed one life. I will not talk much about this.

I'm not posting this information to spoil the wow factor of this thread.

We all love to see the elephants, gaurs, tigers. these are nature's gift, but not at the cost of risking our life. so my suggest to TAI people is to skip this property.

The route query mentioned by vishwas. yes there is a road which starts from masingaudi-sincara-sincara tunnel-pykara.

if you have been to pykara, you can spot a road apparoching pykara. you can see a road that passes straight through the pykara lake,where people stop their vechicles at pykara on the main road.

to my memery this road was operable until 2007, it's mainly used by TNEB to transport workers from pykara dam to sincara for eleticity works. once sincara came under tiger conservation project, even TNEB stopped using this stretch. this road is not open to public as it passes through very dense forest.

Last edited:
[:)] Not sure about the weather though. It is supposed to be raining on and off. Last trip, we had a real nice time with good wildlife sightings. This time we are going with "Great Expectations"[;)]

BTW, You have had some good sightings on your trip.

That's great HR, we are starting off the trip from Friday itself! Hopefully we could meet if time and plans permits, as of now we don't have any plans to stay at masinagudi or places near it. The map shows the Singara road however i read that route is closed and the last post of pravin1987 made me confirmed to take the 36 HB road and i feel this is better route than Gudalur ones because it's too long and if the road condition isn't good, our whole day and plans will be ruined.

I think the Mayar dam and en route is the best for any kind of wildlife sightings and the location is the best i'd ever seen. Let me see if i could add this place into my visit-basket.

How about Glen Morgan? I wanted to see that big water tunnel, i'd been there once when that tunned when it was WIP and man! it was very huge which goes inside the hills and comes out through pykara EB.

*** *** **** is a private property located past the sincara check post. I have stayed there when i did a bike trip with my freinds. a proper 4*4 or a vechile with good GC can do the resort from sincara check post.

I'm not posting this information to spoil the wow factor of this thread.

We all love to see the elephants, gaurs, tigers. these are nature's gift, but not at the cost of risking our life. so my suggest to TAI people is to skip this property.

The route query mentioned by vishwas. yes there is a road which starts from masingaudi-sincara-sincara tunnel-pykara.

if you have been to pykara, you can spot a road apparoching pykara. you can see a road that passes straight through the pykara lake,where people stop their vechicles at pykara on the main road.

to my memery this road was operable until 2007, it's mainly used by TNEB to transport workers from pykara dam to sincara for eleticity works. once sincara came under tiger conservation project, even TNEB stopped using this stretch. this road is not open to public as it passes through very dense forest.
Thanks for this great piece of information friend. I was surprised when i saw these bungalows in the middle of the forest where you spot all the wild animals with human intervention, the situation feels ironical where the region states it's a protected area, and even more ironical is those people own the land which isn't restricted itseems! I'm quite confused with what people do with forests actually.

Coming to the Singara - Bykara route, yes i'd been in that route twice when i visited glen morgan and once in 2011 when i'd been to pykara hydro electricity plant, i've seen the route on both ends, but not the road fully. Anyway this route i feel there are lots of wildlife resources.

personally i would not recommend this to any one that is the reason resort i didn't mention about this in my ooty travellouge. this property is located so near to the forest and it's being under constant threat from elephants. i had a horrifying experience when i stayed there, where our hut was surrounded by elephants and one of my mates bike was damaged by jumbos. only god saved us on that night. it does not take much time for a jumbo to enter the huts. this property(*** *** ****) guys was responsible for a horrifying incident in the recent past which claimed one life. I will not talk much about this.
I read that they put electric fences which stops elephants and gaurs coming in, what happened to that?

That's true, there are so many deaths happened in Masinagudi due to elephant attacks which isn't avoidable because the town is in the middle of the forest.

Since i read about this resort, i was thinking how they gave such a permission for these members and in the middle of the forest and restricted area as well.Then i understood they've made it to make business and a fat profit out of it.

That's great HR, we are starting off the trip from Friday itself! Hopefully we could meet if time and plans permits, as of now we don't have any plans to stay at masinagudi or places near it. The map shows the Singara road however i read that route is closed and the last post of pravin1987 made me confirmed to take the 36 HB road and i feel this is better route than Gudalur ones because it's too long and if the road condition isn't good, our whole day and plans will be ruined.

I think the Mayar dam and en route is the best for any kind of wildlife sightings and the location is the best i'd ever seen. Let me see if i could add this place into my visit-basket.
We are starting on Saturday morning as we couldn't get accommodation for the 15th. Our plan is to stay for 2 days there and return on Monday or extend one more day depending upon the weather condition.

If you see a red Honda city (KA-51-----) driving slowly up or down, or parked somewhere on bandipur/mudumalai/masinagudi/moyar/sincara roads, feel free to stop us or stop by. [;)]

Hope you have a nice trip.

BTW, Don't be surprised if you chance to meet AppU and his Whity there in Ooty.[:)]

Last edited:
We are starting on Saturday morning as we couldn't get accommodation for the 15th. Our plan is to stay for 2 days there and return on Monday or extend one more day depending upon the weather condition.

If you see a red Honda city (KA-51-----) driving slowly up or down, or parked somewhere on bandipur/mudumalai/masinagudi/moyar/sincara roads, feel free to stop us or stop by. [;)]

Hope you have a nice trip.

BTW, Don't be surprised if you chance to meet AppU and his Whity there in Ooty.[:)]
Have a nice trip. Also, don't forget to check everything before you start. Have a safe journey.

Top Bottom