I am planning for a road trip to Darjeeling and Sikkim in October with family. Need your advice on finalizing my trip plan. Presently below is some rough plan:
I would start from Kharagpur (my home town) and would travel to Berhampore (Murshidabad). There my sister and brother-in-law would join us.
My first doubt is which road I should take from Berhampore to Siliguri?
I found maximum experts advised to take Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia route to avoid NH34 for people travelling from Kolkata. But, considering my situation of travelling through Berhampore which route could be the best option?
Below is the Google map distance for two routes from Berhampore as per my knowledge:
- If travel through NH34 through Farakka-Malda-Raiganj-Dalkhola, its showing 385KM. Any luck of NH34 condition improved?
- Through Dumka-Bhagalpur-Purnia, its showing 528KM. Will it make sense to take this route instead of NH34, considering would need to travel 140 KM additional (also the time)?
Travel Time – Planning to start at 5AM keeping target to reach Siliguri by evening. If can’t make it, would stop for night halt depending on the progress.
Complete Trip Plan:
Day1: Kharagpur – Berhampore – Siliguri (if possible).
Day2: Reach Darjeeling and if possible visit some local places.
Day3: local sightseeing at Darjeeling.
Day4: Start from Darjeeling and reach to Gangtok.
Day 5: Nathula, Baba Harbhajan Singh Mandir and Tsango Lake visit.
Day6: Stay at Gangtok. (Open for any suggestion to visit any nearby places).
Day7: Start early morning from Gangtok and reach Berhampore and night stay.
Day8: Berhampore – Kharagpur.
Some Additional Questions:
1. If can’t reach to Siliguri, then any specific place for night stay?
2. I would be driving my Ertiga ZXI. Would it be any issue taking it to Darjeeling and Gangtok?
3. Which road to take from Siliguri to Darjeeling?
4. Is there any permit required to take West Bengal registration car to Darjeeling and Sikkim (Gangtok)?
5. Can I travel by my car to local places in Darjeeling and Gangtok?
6. Which road to take from Darjeeling to Gangtok? Any places to visit on the way?
7. Anything else I am missing, which should be considered?
8. Also welcome any other suggestions or guidance for the trip.
I created a separate post as "Need Advice For a Family Trip To Darjeeling and Gangtok" under 'Travel Itinerary' section regarding this, but did not get any response yet....So, I am posting here again in a hope to get some advice.
Please help with you valuable suggestions. Thanks in advance to all!